Interview Tips

Guest OnBelay

Hey guys, I have my nose pierced, and I was wondering if it would look unprofessional if I wear my nose ring to the interview? Please let me know, thanks! :)

I would air on the side of professionalism and take it out. Having it in will not add 10 points for style, but some older stricter members may see it as unprofessional.

I would take out the nose piercing for sure. I have 4 holes in my ears and I took out all of my earrings except for one, even though my hair covers my ears. When I was taking my CNA course, my instructor yelled at me for wearing my earrings to clinicals! First impressions are everything, especially for interviews!

Does anyone have any advice on mens dress for an interview? I understand that they want a professional appearance but that doesn't necessarily mean a full suit. Would slacks, button up, and coat (NO tie) work? For those of you who have already interviewed, what have you seen? What did you wear?

• 1 month later...

Has anybody who's terminally shy been accepted into a program? We're not talking "oh, I'm just nervous to be interviewed," I mean borderline social anxiety disorder. I do NOT function well in front of an audience or a large group of people, but the moment I enter a patient room and interact with them one-on-one I feel right at home. Same as when I'm interacting with my nurses, or shadowing a PA. I can speak clearly and think logically and behave like any normal human being. :P Put me in the "spotlight" in front of 4+ people and my vision closes in as if I'm about to faint.

In fact, this is one of the reasons I WANT to be a PA. It wouldn't fit my personality at all to be at the top tier working independently as an MD/DO or even an NP... I LOVE the aspect of working in a partnership and being able to defer when I'm uncertain. But I know this nervousness could make my interviews incredibly awful and destroy all my chances.

So... how did you overcome your crippling shyness in front of a group? Did anyone have what they thought was a truly awful interview, only to be accepted later? I guess I'd just feel better hearing some stories from others...

Cat,

Unfortunately, there are few jobs in this world that allow you never to have to perform in front of 4+ people. That includes your clinical rotations as a PA student, as well as some patient settings. Try walking into a patient's room and being asked questions by their assembled family. Or working in surgery with a room full of physicians, nurses, and techs.

I am guessing that you're young and just starting out. If so, then the best advice I can give you is to take steps to overcome your anxieties. I know they're real but they are going to severely limit your life if you let them. I'm sure you've tried, but I don't think you should stop trying and look for some limited role that will let you stay in your very small comfort zone. You are on the cusp of some great things, if only you can get past this problem.

And I suspect you can do it. After all, you did just blog a large number of strangers about a personal problem over the Internet! That took some guts. In case you haven't tried, you could take a public speaking course, see a counselor, see your health care provider, bring 4+ of your friends together in one place and ask for their advice, etc.

And then there's also my Mom's advice that works on just about anything: What is really the worst thing that could happen? In your case, you weren't accepted by a PA program BEFORE your interview, and the worst thing is that nothing will have changed the morning AFTER your interview. Much of life works pretty much the same way.

Everyone in a crowd is pretty much centered on their own lives, so they really don't focus on you as much as you may think. They just want to hear what you have to say for a moment and then use the information in their own way.

Good luck!

Cat - I echo UGoLong's response in that you will eventually have to overcome, or at least vastly minimize your fear of social encounters. At my school, the interview process is basically an opportunity for the professors to see how well you will fit into the culture of the program, and how you will "mesh" with the other students. Remember, you will be spending all day, everyday with these people, under extremely high stress situations. The last thing they want is to bring in someone anti-social who will either A) crumble under the stress and drop out B) affect the learning of other students so they drop out.

Also, in practice, you will definitely have to interact with patients. Your supervising physician is often far away, and definitely will not appreciate calls from you asking them to deal with a patient you are uncomfortable with.

Practical suggestions: try to join a TOASTMASTERS group. Or, go out and meet people! Good luck to you.

Guest Grognard
Has anybody who's terminally shy been accepted into a program? We're not talking "oh, I'm just nervous to be interviewed," I mean borderline social anxiety disorder. I do NOT function well in front of an audience or a large group of people, but the moment I enter a patient room and interact with them one-on-one I feel right at home. Same as when I'm interacting with my nurses, or shadowing a PA. I can speak clearly and think logically and behave like any normal human being. :P Put me in the "spotlight" in front of 4+ people and my vision closes in as if I'm about to faint.

In fact, this is one of the reasons I WANT to be a PA. It wouldn't fit my personality at all to be at the top tier working independently as an MD/DO or even an NP... I LOVE the aspect of working in a partnership and being able to defer when I'm uncertain. But I know this nervousness could make my interviews incredibly awful and destroy all my chances.

So... how did you overcome your crippling shyness in front of a group? Did anyone have what they thought was a truly awful interview, only to be accepted later? I guess I'd just feel better hearing some stories from others...

Cat,

Presentations are a part of the medical profession - either you are sitting listening to one or you are giving one. In our program the student is called upon time and again to present case studies to either the entire class or smaller groups. I don't see why this would be very different in other programs since they all want to produce a well rounded PA. It would be a shame to let such a thing prevent you from achieving your potential. I agree that Toastmasters is an excellent path to beating this issue of public speaking - it is non-judgemental, you have lots of experienced speakers from whom you can draw support, and it provides a good social/business network within your community. Even the master orator Demosthenes had to work hard to overcome his weaknesses.

• 3 months later...

Hi Cat. I am exactly the same, I can rock a situation, and even have no qualms speaking out from the back of the classroom. However, put me in a situation where I have to present to 4+ people, and my throat closes up, my mouth goes completely dry, I can't see straight, and I stutter. It's an awful thing that I've had to deal with through my whole PA education. Thankfully (as horrific as it sounds), there are a lot of chances to practice, in small groups, larger groups, etc. And by the time I had to present with 30 minutes of powerpoints to Attendings and Residents of my last rotation, I was ready and I rocked the house. You will too, it just takes time and practice.

Incidentally, your assumption that being a PA means you will always have someone there to make decisions for you is incorrect. There will be times when you're all there is, and you have to be ready to act. I suggest taking an EMT class to ready yourself for that type of action. Also, I wouldn't bring up those thoughts during an interview. Talk about being part of the team, definitely, but trust me that they're not looking for people who are looking to "defer". Granted, you might get a question where the correct answer is that the Doctor's decision is the last word, but that's different. I understand where you're coming from, but I think it's coming from a place of not yet being educated to the point where you feel comfortable with the subject material, as it were.

As for an awful interview, yes I had one, and no, I was not accepted there later. I think that's pretty much how it (usually) works. Do your research, practice, be confident, and be yourself.

I've been hearing a lot about group interviews and, personally, I never had any experience with it. How do group interviews work? How do they ask questions? Is it better than individual interviews?

I participated in a group interview to be a flight attendant. The way it worked it is that they would ask a question that we all answered and they wold alternate who answered in what order.

It was an interesting situation. i was able to hear the other person answer and guage the reaction of the interviewers and formulate my own answer. Also you have a bit more time to think of your own answer while the other person is talking. What I didnt like is that the person with me would often piggyback off my answers.....DO NOT do that....its tacky.

• Upvote 1

I participated in a group interview to be a flight attendant. The way it worked it is that they would ask a question that we all answered and they wold alternate who answered in what order.

It was an interesting situation. i was able to hear the other person answer and guage the reaction of the interviewers and formulate my own answer. Also you have a bit more time to think of your own answer while the other person is talking. What I didnt like is that the person with me would often piggyback off my answers.....DO NOT do that....its tacky.

Yea I was just a little worried about that, especially when it comes to answering questions about PA that may only have a couple answers (e.g. what is the role of a PA?, etc.) How would you make your answers stand out in that situation?! I just don't like the fact that you can't be too personal with them b/c it's not individual... have you had any interviews for PA yet?

Yes, you want to stand out. Standing out is a good thing. But trying too hard is annoying. Seriously, the best interview advice I can give to anyone is to be yourself. Don't try to sound intelligent; don't try to give answers that you think ADCOM's want to hear; don't try to outshine anyone. Just don't try to do anything. Be natural, be yourself, be authentic. I think that goes a long way.

Part of my interview process included group interviewing. I really enjoyed it. Remember, as a PA you'll be a member of a group, always presenting information to colleagues and patients. You are "on stage" all the time. The group exercises, I think, are meant to see how you interact with people, and how well you can stand your ground in the face of criticism and disagreement. I think it gives the ADCOM's a feel for what kind of team player you will be.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just got invited for an interview in October and was wondering what is appropriate female attaire. I have a grey dress that is business casual and was thinking of wearing that with a suit coat, but I also have a suit coat/skirt combo. Which one do you think is more professional? The dress comes to just above my knees.

I was a biological sciences major (simply biology for some universities), and not biomedical. Do you think it is acceptable (if they ask) to say that I chose an academic background in non-human biology to note the differences and similarities between other organisms and humans? Furthermore, saying how we can learn so much from different model organisms to cure some human-specific diseases?

People get in to PA school with many, many different majors. I was an engineering major; some of my classmates were chemistry majors, and on from there. You probably weren't even 18 when you picked your major and probably several of the people on the team interviewing you will have changed careers a few times in their adult life.

Bottom line: don't sweat it that you majored in biological sciences. It probably taught you a lot, especially when you have to dive into human diseases. Just know why you've made the decisions you have, even if they took you in directions you later changed. Especially know why you are applying to PA school!

Good luck!

I was a biological sciences major (simply biology for some universities), and not biomedical. Do you think it is acceptable (if they ask) to say that I chose an academic background in non-human biology to note the differences and similarities between other organisms and humans? Furthermore, saying how we can learn so much from different model organisms to cure some human-specific diseases?

I wouldn't sweat it at all. In fact, being in biology opened you up to many courses that will most likely help you such as immunology, evolution of infectious diseases, etc. The University of Houston (I currently attend) doesn't even have a biomedical program aside from the engineering.

Alright I have a question that i dont think has been addressed and may seem a little strange. I am a short female, 4'10 to be exact. As a result I always feel like people are staring down at me if we are conversating in a standing setting. I am perfectly ok with this as Im used to it but at times I think it makes others uncomfortable so I try to wear heels. So my question is how high is too hig LOL! I want to be as close to eye level as possible but I dont want to appear trashy with big huge heels on either. Any thoughts?

Most will caution you to 2 inch heels. However, a nice, professional looking, conservatively designed pair of 3 inch heels will be acceptable. But to pull it off you MUST have a completely conservative outfit to accompany it. Any flair at all will dress up those heels to a "trashy, night out" look and be counterproductive.

G

I can't believe I am discussing fashion... :)

Match the shoes to the outfit or go with a simple black. It is after Labor Day so light colored shoe are not appropriate. You can likely get away with it south of the Mason-Dixon line or out west where life is more casual but again, you are AVIODING drawing attention to your shoes. Keep it conservative.

And I like the dark grey skirt suit look. Very professional looking.

G

• 3 weeks later...