Interview Tips

Guest OnBelay

Birch,

I think you may be overpreparing if you are trying to memorize answers to these kinds of questions. Just relax and prepare to think on your feet; giving a canned answer is obvious to the interviewers.

That said, points to remember:

1. If you think anyone is going to do something dangerous, try to get them off to the side and talk to them about it. The "death penalty" of going to hospital management or the state medical board is always on the table, but a wise man will know when to escalate.

2. A patient may refuse to see a PA. In general, you shouldn't be the one asking if they will. In our office, I see my own patients who are expecting me to be there. Sometimes I do see my physician's patients if he is called away. The MA always gives those patients the option of seeing me now or waiting for the doc to return. It is the patient's call, at least in our environment.

Good luck!

Birch,

2. A patient may refuse to see a PA. In general, you shouldn't be the one asking if they will. In our office, I see my own patients who are expecting me to be there. Sometimes I do see my physician's patients if he is called away. The MA always gives those patients the option of seeing me now or waiting for the doc to return. It is the patient's call, at least in our environment.

Good luck!

I got my patient care experience volunteering at the lcoal ER and the patients did not have a choice. They almost always saw a PA and if they insisted or if it was a big case the doc came after. Otherwise the PAs and Docs were interchangeable and the patients didn't always know the difference and often called the PAs doctor. It's funny to think that some cared and thought they were being better cared for with 'read doctors' because had they known most of the docs were straight off of their residencies and the PAs had all been there over ten years they may not have been so adamant in their decision to see a doc.

• 2 weeks later...

How would you address the inappropriate questions?

When I was president of a corporation and interviewing job applicants, there were certain questions that you just didn't ask because they could easily be misconstrued as discriminatory and were moments away from litigation ... yet these types of questions keep popping up at a recent interview. Such as ...

Do you think your age would adversely affect your ability to interact with the physicians, the students or patients?

I just turned 54 and that's an elephant that's not going to hide in the room. But substitute "age" with words like "race" or "gender" or "religion" and that question is easily discriminatory.

Or, are you married? Do you have children? What kind of family support do you have in the area?

Again questions that really have no actual bearing on whether I would be a good student or good PA. Before the lawyers got involved, these types of questions used to be asked by HR types to find out how long women would be working, and when they expected to get pregnant. A pregnant female boosts insurance premiums for the company and ultimately means you have to replace her, temporarily and she may not come back after the pregnancy. A legitimate bottom line reason for not hiring her but a suit waiting to happen.

You have had several careers ... it appears you can't make a commitment.

As this isn't the 1940s, someone who is 54 is going to have had several careers and I have ... one of the good things about living in America. Again, it seems like age bias because this question wouldn't be asked of someone 23. The person asking this question was a black female MD who herself was not practicing medicine but currently teaching, a different career from the one she trained in and a slot that could easily be filled by someone with a Ph.D.

I was 57 when I went for my interviews and didn't find that a problem. I've done a lot of interviewing in my work life and I must admit that some of the questions you get asked entering PA school are unusual in comparison. Many of the applicants are young and the faculty often asks questions to see how well prepared -- in all the dimensions that implies -- they are.

I was asked about my plans for the didactic year. I said that I would be moving to an apartment in the college town and my wife would stay at our house (and her job) two hours away. Someone asked if I thought that would put any pressures on our marriage, to which I answered that we had held up to lots of challenges over 35 years and raising 3 kids. I thought we'd do fine with this one as well.

I applied to three schools and got accepted at three. I am not trying to brag -- only to indicate that I saw no evidence of any age issues anywhere. If anything, the extra life experience and knowledge of who you are were great benefits.

I would encourage anyone on the older side of the curve to treat their fellow applicants as peers, even if they may be younger than your children. Programs want students that get along with each other -- it's not a bad model for how you will be operating as a team member when you become a PA.

Good luck!

Thanks for the input! Glad to know I'm not the only one who remembers when you needed a church key to open a Black Label with Mabel. :)

I'm an EMT, have been for 6 years, the last three full-time, and I work with 19-20-something's all the time, with no problem. We get along well. Initially they were leery with working alongside someone their father's age but for the most part that was just an initial reaction. Every once in awhile I take the lead because you have some who haven't been through trial by fire and tend to lose their heads and my first concern is the pt, not diplomacy. But they respect my leadership in those situations too because it results in positive pt outcome which reflects back on them. And that's what I told the interviewers regarding that question. As far as the pts go, I told them I represented the demographic of what most of the PA's pts would be in the coming years -- a baby boomer. I think that ability to relate gives me an edge.

Unfortunately it wasn't a positive outcome for me.

• Upvote 1

I love the way YOU think! :)

I had anticipated losing out to folk who had higher test scores and more medical experience, and I certainly don't want this to sound like sour grapes, but I found out today my GRE was 20 percent higher than one who got the nod and whose experience amounted to ward-clerking in an ER (no bandaging, CPR, splinting, etc) versus my 7,000+ on a real live, emergency working ambulance where body fluids fly almost daily and people unfortunately sometimes die despite best efforts. GPA was similar -- his was slightly higher -- but I additionally have two masters degrees (CUM 3.3) and have successfully completed masters level work.

And he is half my age.

Would that there were seats for us all ... but it seems there's a disparity there.

bandaids and pantyhose? I don't think I would wear backless shoes if you know you are doing a campus tour. The slap-slap noise when you walk can be annoying. (or that could just be my own personal pet peeve lol) I hope you get it all worked out, interview day is terrible time to be distracted by blisters! I just made a mental note to avoid running the week before interviews LOL!

I wore dressy backless shoes to my interviews and had no problem... there's no slap-slap noise when I walk. I doubt anyone will care or even notice if your shoes have backs on them or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes for the group interviews I agree about making sure your statements are unique. I also think it is important to utilize one of lifes very first lessons- take turns. Make sure you aren't always the first or last one speaking on each topic!

Yes for the group interviews I agree about making sure your statements are unique. I also think it is important to utilize one of lifes very first lessons- take turns. Make sure you aren't always the first or last one speaking on each topic!

Great point! In addition to this, be open to the comments of others. Don't blow them off simply because you disagree.

• 2 weeks later...

They usually tell you that your interview will start early in the morning, both of mine were at 8:00am. One told me that I was going to be there till 4:00pm (which i left at 12:30) and the other said at 2:00, (which i left at 1:00). The styles of the interviews are different for each, one had a group interview and an individual with one administrator, while the other had an essay and a individual interview with 3 professors. Each included a tour of the facilities which was run by the first year students. Make sure you make an impression from the time you get there to the time you leave, the whole time you are being judged on your presentation (although they may tell you you aren't). Also, make sure you have good questions about the program, which show that you did your research, as well make sure you write a thank you to all the faculty that interviewed you as well as the admissions counselor and director. This only can help you and also allows them to know that you know how to be professional. Go in there thinking that you may discuss the experiences you have had with a PA, to go with why you want to be a PA, and know specific parts of their program, including their curriculum as to why you want to go to their school. I would try to also talk maybe about some specific faculty (maybe one will be there) and ultimately practice your interviewing skills on everyone you meet, including on family and friends. The more practice (even in an informal setting) will help you when it comes to the real thing. From what my boyfriend says to me, every time you meet someone, you are basically having an interview with them, finding out about eachother. Don't just think this is a random situation you are in. Only worry about your clothes to the point that you look clean, professional and comfortable. Definitely wear a jacket, just a blouse is not professional enough for an interview. It doesn't matter where you got the suit from, just make sure it fits this criteria (you will look better put together if it matches!). Ultimately, you will feel more confident all professionally dressed anyways. Be yourself, these interviewers will know when you are being extremely fake and just act like this is THE school you want to go to each time, no matter what. Also, during the information session, I would try to ask some questions too, because the proctor usually has a say as well, or can put in some input. Anyways, i hope this is enough. I wish i had this advice, so I'm passing on my experience. Good luck!

• Upvote 1

I know people say to come early but I would plan to arrive at campus at least an hour early. For one of my interviews, I planned to arrive 45 minutes early. Due to bad fog, I ended up arriving about 10 minutes before the day began. It is better to be on campus early and take a few minutes walking around then to be late. Weather, traffic, accidents and detours are all factors that you have no control over. Planning to be extremely early gives you a chance to regroup before your interview day begins should something go wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mmosier2

I was reading on the SAAPA site and there was on question that talked about the treatment of HIV patients. What special treatment should they receive? I understand that it should be reported but to who? Any other cases like this that receive special treatment like domestic violence and substance abuse? Thanks!

I know here in FL, HIV and other reportable diseases go through the county health department which goes up to the state level. Depending on what it is, it may go very quickly up to the CDC (i.e. Ebola, Anthrax, Small Pox) and other governmental agencies get involved. I think DV and SA go to social work agencies. NOt sure on those. Hope this answers you question.

I have long, blond hair. It's neatly cut, always brushed and shiny (seriously, I'm neurotic about keeping it brushed and healthy), and reaches about halfway down my back. I always wear it down. I live in Houston and even in the 100+ degree summers, I still always wear it down. Perhaps I will throw it up in a sort-of ponytail if I'm working in the kitchen. I don't feel at all comfortable with it up and don't have the faintest idea how to put it up properly so it will look neat and smooth. Can I just wear it down, perhaps pulled back from my face with a nice headband?

Also, I'm struggling with a petty earrings dilemma. I have some great silver earrings. They are small, tasteful dangles shaped like serotonin molecules (from http://www.madewithmolecules.com/neuroearrings.html). I love them and they are always great conversation starters, even with non-science people who ask about the shape. I'd love to wear them to my interviews for this very reason. Should I go for it, or stick to some boring, black studs?

Finally, I'm concerned about shoes. I injured my foot many years ago and since then it's extremely painful to wear anything with a heel higher than a penny loafer. I've found a great pair of pumps that I've been practicing wearing for the last couple of months. I can make it a few hours before my foot is hurting so badly that I need to take off the shoe temporarily to let it rest. Is anyone going to notice if I kick off the one shoe when seated at a table or desk? Can I politely explain to an interviewer that my foot is injured, so I need to rest it while I'm seated in their office? It's not like I'm propping my foot up. Flats don't look very professional with my suit. And I look really, really good in these pumps.

I guess what I'm worried about, like everyone else here, is that the adcoms will be sitting in their meeting later saying, "....And now we have Ms. Seibert.......she's one of my favorite candidates, but she had her hair pulled back in a headband. *sigh* Well, that's too bad. And she was so close. When will they learn?"