Interview Tips

Guest OnBelay

be well groomed. that's all that matters. one guy showed up in a silk short sleeve button down, like he just got off the plane from hawaii. he was one of the most articulate compassionate guys in the room. he got in. and this was one of the most competitive programs in the country.

• Upvote 1

This is my first post, but I just wanted to let everyone know about my first interview process. It was at Mercer's PA program in Atlanta, GA. I felt right at home and EVERYONE was so accommodating! The first part of my interview started as a tour of the school and an introduction to the faculty as well as sitting in on one of the current PA students ethics class. Then we did a group activity discussing a medical topic. After that, the group interview started. This can be a little intimidating because you hear everyone's question and sometimes you get asked the same one, so you have to make sure your answer is not only a little different but also stands out. We also did an essay. It was basically a character question and wanted to know a little more about who you are as a person! After that the students took us to lunch so we could ask them any specific questions and then we had a one on one exit interview.

Overall the process was very stressful, but I enjoyed every moment of it! My advice would be make sure you do your research (as MUCH as you can!) And of course, make sure you sell yourself!

Good luck!

Michelle*

• 1 month later...

Do I HAVE to wear a suit? I NEVER wear suits but I did have one set aside for my next interview but I lost weight and it looks ridiculous now. The skirt still works and I was thinking of wearing it plain with a blouse. Is that ok? I really can't afford to buy a suit I'll never wear again just for one interview when I may not even get accepted!

everyone needs a good suit! you will wear it again...job interviews, school interviews, orientations, meetings graduation...etc...is the jacket tailorable?...a nip and tuck...

A suit does not had to equate to expensive...look on clearance racks for classic styles that don't go out of style...and it does not have to be a "suit"...a couple of nice pieces that go well together works and can mix and match...but a good jacket in your wardrobe is always a good thing! I live by the mantra that if you look professional, and you feel good about how you look, you portray that image to others, and they feel the same way about you.

Edited by Prospective PA
typo

• Administrator

Every adult should have one set of formal wear suitable for interviews, weddings, and funerals. If you don't have one, you simply don't have a sufficient wardrobe to function in polite society. You don't have to spend a ton, but if you want to be able to look like you belong in a profession, you need to be equipped to interview wearing professional clothing.

everyone needs a good suit! you will wear it again...job interviews, school interviews, orientations, meetings graduation...etc...is the jacket tailorable?...a nip and tuck...

A suit does not had to equate to expensive...look on clearance racks for classic styles that don't go out of style...and it does not have to be a "suit"...a couple of nice pieces that go well together works and can mix and match...but a good jacket in your wardrobe is always a good thing! I live by the mantra that if you look professional, and you feel good about how you look, you portray that image to others, and they feel the same way about you.

I know you're right but I'm working real hard on losing weight and it won't fit for long (I hope!). I never even wore that jacket. I bought it for my last interview and wasn't comfortable wearing it because it was a bit tight. I wore a sweater and got accepted anyway. Now it's too big and I'm unemployed and really can't afford extras. I wonder if it will make a difference at this slightly more professional school.

• 3 months later...
Guest jm.fox04
...what is the best color for the shirt? Everyone always tells me blue, but I realllllly want to stand out! I have green eyes, so maybe a plum or dark green shirt.... hmm

I'm thinking gold lamé...

just wanted to get others thoughts on this...

what happens if you are sick? Would it be considered rude if you politely refuse to shake the interviewer's hands telling them that you are coming down with the flu and don't want to pass it on? or would it be better if you reschedule?

Unless you are physically incapacitated (or can't stay away from the bathroom long enough), go to the interview. Do you think you won't be around sick people when you become a PA?

If you're concerned about passing along an illness, wash your hands, carry some waterless cleaner that you can use when you blow your nose, or just politely decline to shake hands because you are coming down with "something."

I dont think it matters how you sit.... dont sweat the small stuff -- sit however is most comfortable to you! I never paid attention to how I sat or little stuff like that...and all my interviews were successful. I think the only thing to focus on is making eye contact, smiling, and not fidgeting. Just sit comfortably and don't slouch. Treat the interview as a conversation (just dont be too casual about it)

About the hair...wear it however you are most comfortable with. I have long hair and wore it in a ponytail because that is what i'm used to (I work alot so my hair is always tied back....just how i've gotten comfortable wearing it lately) I didnt want to do anything different on the interview day and feel uncomfortable.

sitting during the interview... ankles crossed, legs crossed, or knees together and feet together...?

I would sit comfortably with at least ankles crossed, slightly leaning forward. It gives the impression that you are interested and are relaxed. If you're sitting up straight as a board with both feet flat on the ground, they may get a negative impression of you being too rigid. The most important thing is to be yourself. They can see right through you if you're trying too hard.

i have a question regarding pictures. i have to bring in a wallet size picture for my interview.. should i get one professionally at a studio or go to a cvs/ walgreens and get a wallet size picture taken. thanks!

about the long hair - i have straight hair and little past my shoulder and when i went to a mock interview at my school first thing he said was to put my hair up or half back..

My interviews are next week! :eek: On top of that, I have one interview after the other--one on Sept 25 and the other on 26th.

Am I biting off more than I can chew?

I have 1 on the 18 and one on the 22nd. Ill miss about 15 hours of class, 1 exam, a quiz, and more material than I want to think about. It's a lot to cram but the short term stress is worth the long term benefit.