Interview Tips

Guest OnBelay

I felt like I did really well in a group interview but was really nervous in my individual interview. I still felt I answered the questions pretty well. Had anyone else had that problem and got in? I was just so nervous bc this is what I really want to do. I hope they see that and look at my answers and not how I couldn't quite relax. It was just not me and I hope I didn't ruin it. I had told them I was a bit nervous and then from there relaxed a bit. At least I was honest. I am a reapplicant and I think thats why I got that way. Also, my individual interview was the very last event of the day. blahh ...

I felt like I did really well in a group interview but was really nervous in my individual interview. I still felt I answered the questions pretty well. Had anyone else had that problem and got in? I was just so nervous bc this is what I really want to do. I hope they see that and look at my answers and not how I couldn't quite relax. It was just not me and I hope I didn't ruin it. I had told them I was a bit nervous and then from there relaxed a bit. At least I was honest. I am a reapplicant and I think thats why I got that way. Also, my individual interview was the very last event of the day. blahh ...

YES i went to one interview (2 interviewers and myself) and thought I did absolutely horrible... I was nervous, and was asked off the wall questions that really caught me off guard so my answers sounded silly to me.....Plus I could see one of the interviewers as he graded my responses and the grades werent too great. Real talk, I really wanted to go hide somewhere and cry after the interview haha. Turns out I still got in the school. I think when your nervous you tend to critique yourself WAY too harshly and look at everything in a negative light.

Oh Thank you so much. I have been worrying about it because I was thinking they would think I am not confident since I am nervous. Truly, I am confident but in this situation since I want it bad I had a hard time to just be myself and not nervous. I told a family member my responses and it turns out I did say what I was thinking. It could have been a better way but it wasn't bad. I think its hard to be not nervous, confident and say exaaactly what you want. I said a lot of important things I feel and was open. Hopefully, they see who I am and not critical. I had told them at the end that this is what I really want to do and thats why I reapplied. I am definitely over thinking all of this and it is probably because competition is tuff.

• Administrator
I have an interview coming up soon and I am a member of the AAPA and I recently received a new lapel pin with the new logo. Would it be inappropriate to where the pin on my suit jacket to the interview?

I wouldn't. To me, it seems to presumptuous, but then, I don't even advocate joining AAPA as an affiliate member before gaining admission for the same reason, and I know I'm at odds with the conventional wisdom on that score.

During my interview I was nervous but I think I was more excited for being there than anything else. I was being interviewed at my number one choice and I really wanted to get in. I only had an individual interview and I felt like I did pretty good. But after there is always those thoughts about how good was it...well, at least it was good enough to get in.

During my interview I was nervous but I think I was more excited for being there than anything else. I was being interviewed at my number one choice and I really wanted to get in. I only had an individual interview and I felt like I did pretty good. But after there is always those thoughts about how good was it...well, at least it was good enough to get in.

I set my interviews up so that I could interview first at my least favorite school, then second with my most. I felt much more relaxed after having 1 interview under my belt, and the first was a group interview so I could see how others approached some questions (both good and bad). I felt extremely comfortable in both-- I did my homework beforehand. There is always the occassional odd-ball question, but I felt confident with my answers at both interviews.

I probably preferred the non-group interviews at my top choice because it was all about me, aka my time to shine. I didn't have to share the spotlight with a few others. I also felt like I could build a greater rapport with the interviewers when I was the only one in the room.

My best advice is to just relax and approach it as any other conversation. Bring your enthusiasm and knowledge about the PA career. Come with questions to ask them... bother serious and casual. I asked the typical "what makes your schools stand apart from the others" "why have you been so successful over the years" and I ended with "I'm not leaving until tomorrow morning, what is one can't miss attraction that I should do tonight while Im still in town." People love talking about their cities so it opened up many interesting conversations and let them get to know my interests outside of school.

Now the waiting game begins... I'm far more nervous for the final calls than for the interviews themselves.

I set my interviews up so that I could interview first at my least favorite school, then second with my most. I felt much more relaxed after having 1 interview under my belt, and the first was a group interview so I could see how others approached some questions (both good and bad). I felt extremely comfortable in both-- I did my homework beforehand. There is always the occassional odd-ball question, but I felt confident with my answers at both interviews.

I probably preferred the non-group interviews at my top choice because it was all about me, aka my time to shine. I didn't have to share the spotlight with a few others. I also felt like I could build a greater rapport with the interviewers when I was the only one in the room.

My best advice is to just relax and approach it as any other conversation. Bring your enthusiasm and knowledge about the PA career. Come with questions to ask them... bother serious and casual. I asked the typical "what makes your schools stand apart from the others" "why have you been so successful over the years" and I ended with "I'm not leaving until tomorrow morning, what is one can't miss attraction that I should do tonight while Im still in town." People love talking about their cities so it opened up many interesting conversations and let them get to know my interests outside of school.

Now the waiting game begins... I'm far more nervous for the final calls than for the interviews themselves.

I could not set my interviews. The first interview I received was with my first school choice. I just tryed to do my best. I did not read any book to prepare and I just researched what kind of questions maybe they would ask me. I kept answering those questions every once in a while to myself. I just made sure to have good questions to ask them. For example, my program is focus in primary care/underserved area, so I tryed to ask them questions related to that. Nothing complicated. Now I just have to wait classes to start next summer!:p

I have interview on 8th October. I have suit with dark grey color with light peachy strips and I have silk peachy shirt . Would it be looking good as I am a girl? Please advise me as this is gonna be my first interview. Also, I have hair up to shoulder. Should I wear down or pony tail or bun? How group interview works? I mean do they give any medical scenario?

Please advise me!

I have an interview on Oct. 12th and another one on Oct. 14th, and I am so nervous! I feel that I've prepared pretty well for them both. I followed the suggestions that people have posted on here like reading up on the schools, and researching possible interview questions. I'm just terrified that when I go into the interview that I'm going to be so nervous, I'm going to ruin my chances of getting in.

The interviewers are people just like you. There is no reason to be nervous talking with them. Be friendly, kind of the way you'd be if you were meeting a friend's parents for the first time. Take a breath and think before you blurt out an answer, but try not to be mechanical about it.

There is no reason that you can't do this well. It's just a hurdle to get over. The more interviews you do in your life, the easier it will become. Don't let this become a mental block for you.

Good luck!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
everyone has asked about colored suits, but what about white? There is a white pant suit that I really want, but does the "after labor day" rule really exist? My interview is in November.

I wouldnt wear it.

I dont go by the "labor day rule", I just go by the weather to gauge the change of season. When it starts getting cold out, I wouldnt wear light, summery colors (whites, pastels, flower prints. etc)

as far as wearing strange things, I suggest having a sit in on a day of class. Meet some of the students, meet some of the faculty. See how the culture is. If they seem to like "weird" folks, then by all means, put yourself out there. If they are more conservative, then go traditional.

FInally, as a rule of thumb, personally, I always wear a gray/dark blue suit (not as intimidating as black) with a white shirt (conveys honesty) and a red tie (my power tie to show I am competent). You'll notice that presidents dress like this (but with a black suit to show power). Oh, I wouldnt recommend the flag pin though... unless thats part of what you normally wear.

I'm sorry if someone else has asked this, I searched the forum and couldn't find any results. Is it appropriate to send a thank you letter to the program director after you interview?

I sent one to each of the faculty I interviewed with. Keep it succinct and don't beg or go on about how you want to attend the program. I just thanked them for their time and the opportunity to interview @ the program.

It cant hurt, and shows an amount of professionalism.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

Take a pack of thank you notes and stamps. Get the appropriate addresses for the interviewers before you leave, and hand-write thank you notes the same afternoon, e.g. as you're waiting for your plane. Post them the same day if you can. Again, be succinct and cordial--not overly familiar. Always assume that everyone will compare notes at a program, so don't be a human Xerox machine: write something unique to each addressee, ideally something calling to mind your interview conversation in a positive light.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lip32eagle

I have my first interview coming up in 3 weeks and after reading through some possible questions noticed some about family. I am not married, but have a 2 year old daughter. I have been with my fiance now for 5 years. We have just never tied the knot, but are actually doing it the summer before I leave for school. If questions are asked about children and family, what would be the best way to approach them? I am worried some old school people may look negatively at me, but I look at my having my daughter before marriage as just putting things in a different order than the norm. I am basically married in everyway of my lifestyle, except for the actual legal marriage part. Any suggestions are welcome.

Lipeagle, I think you are thinking too much about this. That facts are you are not married, and you have a young child. Lots of people have this set up nowadays, and no one has the right to judge you for the way you live your life. There is no need for you to justify your position. Go in there and rock the interview! Show them why you are the perfect student for their program. If they ask about family, children, and your fiance, give them only as much information as you are comfortable with. Take care, and good luck!