Interview Tips

Guest OnBelay

Pretty much all the girls I interviewed with had a purse/bag. I never carry a purse and borrowed one from my sister so I'd have someplace to stash my wallet, etc. Just beware of carting around a huge bag. That's unwieldy and the bag lady look really clashes with your business attire. If you have extra stuff, rent a car and leave your gear inside it in the parking lot.

I bought a very small rolling black suitcase. It's almost more of a rolling briefcase, also has a strap to carry it messenger-bag style. I can fit everything I might want for interviews like copies of my CV/application but also my wallet, deodorant, and other little things that make me feel prepared. I will be using this instead of a purse for interviews where I fly in and out on the same day, maybe something similar would work for you?

• 3 weeks later...
Can anyone post an example of a thank-you letter? Is it better to mail it once you get home, or hand it to the committee after the interview is complete? Thanks for the great posts!!! I am hoping I get an interview soon!!!! Good luck everyone!

Hey. Cool times. L8r.

Kidding, of course ... just Google 'thank you letter' for examples. Short and sweet. And no, for godsake don't hand it to the committee after your interview!! Mail it to the appropriate person(s) when you get back home.

Heme, that made me giggle. I agree, though, definitely wait until you get home. Think about it. How are you going to have already written your TY card without first meeting the people you are thanking? That wouldn't seem very sincere. As I was researching this, I found a suggestion to address the admissions coordinator, rather than each individual interviewer. That's just one way to go about it, but to me it made sense. I literally couldn't think of anything to write except for, "It was nice meeting you. Thanks for interviewing me and being so nice about it." And we can all agree that that would have sucked. Instead I wrote to one person about how appreciative I was that the faculty was welcoming and informative (which they were) and asked her to pass along my thanks to PA _________ and PA ___________. To me this seemed less "suck uppy" while still relaying my genuine thanks for the interview invitation.

Also, keep in mind that the reception to such notes will vary; not all programs appreciate or care to receive TYs.

• 2 weeks later...

I have spent nearly a year reading this forum for advice. I had my interview today, and honestly, I really that all my research on this forum was completely unnecessary. I was terrified from all these posts about who is and who is not "deserving" of becoming a PA. I learned today that being myself was all I had to do to rock the interview. If I get accepted, fabulous! If I do not get accepted, I have no regrets and will second guess nothing. To people still yet to interview: I suggest you take this entire forum with a grain of salt. There are some helpful posts, but majority are overwhelmingly negative for no good reason. Be you. Be true to yourself and do you best to exhibit who you are, everything else will fall into place. Keep in mind, these admissions committees are people. They are just people and they are people that have been where we now are. Good luck everyone.

• Upvote 9

JulieD,

My take on it is that you shouldn't use notes. You should know what you want to say, and you should have practiced enough to be able to come up with your main 'bullet points' without notes. I practiced a TON and the interview turned out to be not too scary. Practice a lot, get into the right frame of mind, and you'll do GREAT :).

Hope this helps!

Nicole

• 1 month later...

I'm applying to a program that is just starting; I'm hoping to be a member of the first class to graduate from the school. It's a respected medical school.

What questions would you suggest I ask them? Obviously, PANCE rates, attrition, etc., won't be applicable. Any ideas for new programs?

Also, how much self-promotion is too much? This is the main part of the interview that makes me nervous. I don't want to recite my CV to the ADCOMM, but I don't want to ramble and add a lot of random stuff in that doesn't matter.

• 2 weeks later...
Any recommendations on how to address the adcoms? Say one ADCOM introduces herself as Jane Smith. Best to call her Jane or Ms. Smith?

Thanks!

You can't go wrong with formal, but in none of my interviews was this really an issue; mostly because when I responded to a question, I was addressing thewhole panel, rather than one member. At my second interview, the director specifically stated, "The students refer to the PAs by PA _______while here." At another school, the exact opposite was standard. Follow the lead of the program people. Lacking that, stick with manners.

Good luck with your interview!!

I enjoyed the group interviews. Tips? Listen to the question, think about your answer, be succinct. If you are not the first person of the group to answer, listen to the answers given to avoid the "yeah..what they said" response. You need to be on your toes and thinking the entire time.

Being relaxed and confident are key. Let your true person show through. It's too stressful to maintain a facade. Smile a confident smile often.

You can't go wrong with formal, but in none of my interviews was this really an issue; mostly because when I responded to a question, I was addressing thewhole panel, rather than one member. At my second interview, the director specifically stated, "The students refer to the PAs by PA _______while here." At another school, the exact opposite was standard. Follow the lead of the program people. Lacking that, stick with manners.

Good luck with your interview!!

Good insight. Thanks!

Has anyone experienced the MMI style of interviews? What was it like?

I wasn't sure what MMI style is so I did a quick google...turns out I have done similar things through job interviewing for the fire department. http://www.multipleminiinterview.com/ is my source of what it is...

My situation was a role play and I found it extremely useful to immerse myself in the role. I completely ignored the committee who was watching the interaction with the actor and made the actor my only concern in the room. When I was initially handed the scenario I got very lucky that it was a scenario that I have had experience with and knew what direction I wanted to go with it.

So read the scenario, have confidence (fake it until you make it if you need to) and really focus on the actor. There will be plenty of time to worry about the committee after the scenario is over

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...