Interviews for Class of 2014

Ok I guess I'll have to try again or join the military like I planned, I didn't get in to Stanford, good luck to everyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYI IPAP, the Army's (Also, Navy, Air Force) PA program is super competitive,. Even more so than civilian programs as you are competing for a limited number of seats for all three branches that have a Medical Corps (approx. 30,000 Medical MOS/ASI service members), plus they take into account how much actual military medicine you have under your belt (garrison and deployed). Oh and since you have a college degree there isn't any military specialty that will increase your patient care experience, as you are not already a clinician.

Just so you know.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FYI IPAP, the Army's (Also, Navy, Air Force) PA program is super competitive,. Even more so than civilian programs as you are competing for a limited number of seats for all three branches that have a Medical Corps (approx. 30,000 Medical MOS/ASI service members), plus they take into account how much actual military medicine you have under your belt (garrison and deployed). Oh and since you have a college degree there isn't any military specialty that will increase your patient care experience, as you are not already a clinician.

Just so you know.

Great, more bad news. Thank you for the information. I don't know what to do anymore. :(

Ok. For those of you that have interviewed and are still waiting on a call/email/letter. Did you have your transcripts evaluated by Foothill College.?

I got a call today from Lio asking to have my general education evaluated by my current university. Is there a sheet that you guys submitted? Did you contact a Foothill counselor?

FYI --this only applies to those that do not have a bachelors degree yet.

Any advice?

Great, more bad news. Thank you for the information. I don't know what to do anymore. :(

Orangutanna, sorry to hear you're bummed. Jeez, seems like everyone here is grieving.

Keep trying and don't give up on getting in to your dream program.

I quit a lucrative career to volunteer full time as an MA for the past year and a half. This program was also my last 'hope" and, on a personal note, a family member is currently in the oncology unit @ Stanford so it would've been nice to be close by. I'm totally bummed!

BUT I managed to get a interview tomorrow for a medical assistant job (oh yay) and will definitely apply next year.

Keep at it, you worked this hard to get to reach this point. PLUS, who knows, we all may be in the class of 2015.

Orangutanna, sorry to hear you're bummed. Jeez, seems like everyone here is grieving.

Keep trying and don't give up on getting in to your dream program.

I quit a lucrative career to volunteer full time as an MA for the past year and a half. This program was also my last 'hope" and, on a personal note, a family member is currently in the oncology unit @ Stanford so it would've been nice to be close by. I'm totally bummed!

BUT I managed to get a interview tomorrow for a medical assistant job (oh yay) and will definitely apply next year.

Keep at it, you worked this hard to get to reach this point. PLUS, who knows, we all may be in the class of 2015.

Thanks kismet! I'll keep on tricking, just trying to weigh out my options and different routes to probably consider.

Ok. For those of you that have interviewed and are still waiting on a call/email/letter. Did you have your transcripts evaluated by Foothill College.?

I got a call today from Lio asking to have my general education evaluated by my current university. Is there a sheet that you guys submitted? Did you contact a Foothill counselor?

FYI --this only applies to those that do not have a bachelors degree yet.

Any advice?

Bromero- how excited we're you to get a call from Lio? Cruel! I too don't have a bachelors degree. I was not asked to provide anything other than my transcripts, but earlier this year I called Fred to ask how he wanted my AP English credit reported. He told me Stanford wouldn't accept AP English unless I had a degree. I told him Foothill said it counted for my GE but he made me get a letter from counseling that said as much. The Foothill counseling dept was happy to help. I have met with them in the past, and they do have a check list for the PA criteria. I'm really surprised they would ask you about all this now, but good luck!

Ugh! Stupid auto correct I meant "TRUCKING" not tricking... LOL

Lol i was like nooooo....it aint that bad you gotta start trickin' nyuk nyuk....listen everyone i started applying 1999 ok....until 2002....took a break and wife n i started a family. Then applied for 2010 n got in now im a PA so pleez stop the doom n gloom. U guys want this? Remember, how do u eat an elephant?

One bite at a time.

Keep ur eye on the prize

Enough cliches

So buck up everyone. U want it bad enough, ull git it done!

That is all.....drops mike

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

Joelseff - thanks for your story and words of encouragement. BTW - what did you do different that made a difference when you applied again?

Yup, I know those of us who got denials are really bummed.....understandably so. I fly in from Texas so every month when I get my credit card statement, I'm gonna be bummed all over again. It was almost $2,000 so I will be bummed for a long while...hehehe!!!

I guess we just have to re-apply next year. For those of you who have not gotten a denial, I'm thinking that it's good news, right??? Even being in Texas, I got a denial letter so if denied, you would have gotten it already. We'll just channel all our praying and hoping to you guys!!! I'm so excited for you guys!

Orangutanna - I'm with Joelseff....please don't start trickin, unless you really have to, like when you really have to to pay for tuition!! Ha! Ha! This is the first time I actuallly cracked a smile since receiving my letter!! thanks for that!

Joelseff - thanks for your story and words of encouragement. BTW - what did you do different that made a difference when you applied again?

Yup, I know those of us who got denials are really bummed.....understandably so. I fly in from Texas so every month when I get my credit card statement, I'm gonna be bummed all over again. It was almost $2,000 so I will be bummed for a long while...hehehe!!!

I guess we just have to re-apply next year. For those of you who have not gotten a denial, I'm thinking that it's good news, right??? Even being in Texas, I got a denial letter so if denied, you would have gotten it already. We'll just channel all our praying and hoping to you guys!!! I'm so excited for you guys!

Orangutanna - I'm with Joelseff....please don't start trickin, unless you really have to, like when you really have to to pay for tuition!! Ha! Ha! This is the first time I actuallly cracked a smile since receiving my letter!! thanks for that!

I walked into foothill college and met with the PA specific counselor there. She went through my transcripts and filled out the proper sheet for me. I am sure that I could have done it myself, but wanted to make sure this time that I had everything! I had applied in 2009, but was missing one class so didn't even make the interview!!! This time got the interview and still have my fingers crossed!!!

Concerning the military, I wad a corpsman with the marine corps for 7 years and it was the best times of my life. I deployed to 3 different war zones and had great times in many more. Besides that though, I learned my love for PA medicine there. It used to be that you had to be a Corpsman or medic to get into the PA program, but now they take anyone as long as you have the pre reqs. You can call Travis Airforce base hospital and talk to a program advisor for more info. I have lots of friends that got in back in the late 90's and early 2000's. Goods luck not a bad option!

As for me, I am still here holding my breath that I don't get the big "D" denial letter today! If I do, I guess I just have to fill out that big packet again in September! Love you guys!

I walked into foothill college and met with the PA specific counselor there. She went through my transcripts and filled out the proper sheet for me. I am sure that I could have done it myself, but wanted to make sure this time that I had everything! I had applied in 2009, but was missing one class so didn't even make the interview!!! This time got the interview and still have my fingers crossed!!!

Concerning the military, I wad a corpsman with the marine corps for 7 years and it was the best times of my life. I deployed to 3 different war zones and had great times in many more. Besides that though, I learned my love for PA medicine there. It used to be that you had to be a Corpsman or medic to get into the PA program, but now they take anyone as long as you have the pre reqs. You can call Travis Airforce base hospital and talk to a program advisor for more info. I have lots of friends that got in back in the late 90's and early 2000's. Goods luck not a bad option!

As for me, I am still here holding my breath that I don't get the big "D" denial letter today! If I do, I guess I just have to fill out that big packet again in September! Love you guys!

@happytiffany:

I didnt really add much to my app during the hiatus. I already had a strong app imho in 99.....

Crallen: ex corpsman here too.... Peacetime though...tail end of Desert Storm... We had 4 HMs and one Marine who was a striker of sorts in my class. We all made it through.... I wouldnt say we developed it, Dr stead first approach Nurses. virginia fowkes the founder of pcap was one of his assts she was a rn. The rns said no so he turned to the hms and medics frim nam. Mrs. Fowkes trained the "first 4" at duke and in 71 approached Stanford to start pcap.

We were the first prototype i suppose.

@happytiffany:

I didnt really add much to my app during the hiatus. I already had a strong app imho in 99.....

Crallen: ex corpsman here too.... Peacetime though...tail end of Desert Storm... We had 4 HMs and one Marine who was a striker of sorts in my class. We all made it through.... I wouldnt say we developed it, Dr stead first approach Nurses. virginia fowkes the founder of pcap was one of his assts she was a rn. The rns said no so he turned to the hms and medics frim nam. Mrs. Fowkes trained the "first 4" at duke and in 71 approached Stanford to start pcap.

We were the first prototype i suppose.

Archived