Failed PANRE miserably

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I emailed NCCPA yesturday asking if I could access my exam to see the questions I answered incorrectly, as there were several questions out of the primary care scope of practice that I felt were unfair.

This was their response:

Thank you for your e-mail. The NCCPA does not provide access to test questions after the taking of an examination.

Sincerely, Damon Young

Information Services Representative

I then emailed them today "How can I be assured that the correct answer key was used and that my score is correct? I have read several PAs complaints about failing since the new format started. Do you have any explanation for this? I feel that there is some kind of glitch/error in the NCCPA scoring system."

This was the response:

Thank you for your e-mail. All exams are scored by two separate computer systems and compared for accuracy and go through several quality and accuracy checks, NCCPA does not rescore or review exam results.

Pearson VUE submits the results (answers) to NCCPA for scoring. Then the exam results are confirmed by Pearson VUE. In addition, the exams are checked for accuracy and comparability.

Sincerely,

Damon Young

Information Services Representative

I feel like this is such Bulls***t. We should be able to see our incorrect questions as justification of failing. I don't feel that we should just accept "failed" as an answer.

I took PANRE internal medicine on July 2011 and was shocked finding that i failed with such a low score. I truly believe that there is a problem with a new test (240 questions) grading. When i approached to NCCPA i received exact same letter that every one else got from Richard Carr. There are 2 other PA's who are experienced that took PANRE at the same time as me and also failed with very low score. This is very unusual situation and i wish that NCCPA takes an action to correct the problem

Hi.....I too had the same experience . Have been successfully practicing x 24yrs, took the PANRE Aug 1st after sev months of study...I too used the much recommended Lange text and test question study book.....read it cover -to-cover 2X. I was surprised to see only 240 test questions, and I came away feeling confident...I felt prepared and felt I knew most of the answers...yet I too scored MISERABLY...low 200's. I could see failing by a few points, but not like this. I lightly studied Hematology, so as to concentrate on the two biggies...cardio and Endocrine, yet I scored in the high 80's in that subject...go figure. My situation was almost exact to sev others, leading me to believe that there was either a scoring error, or that the NCCPA is doing this on purpose to get test $....I'm especially suspicious because they refuse to do anything beyond admitting to people that there have been a large number of calls. How sad that these people , who should be fighting for us, are the very ones happily pulling the Hangman's rope and happily ruining people's careers....I have a family to help support.

Hi ....I totally agree with you. The NCCPA is simply not willing to admit that there are errors, and they seem to be so confident that they have the final say.....I have been very depressed over my score......I know I was prepared, and now I have to spend extra time to stay prepared for another exam...and all the stress that comes with that, as well as having to pay out another fee...which is a hardship for me since I am basically home with the kids, and the $ earned from the little time I do have to put in some hours barely helps cover the house bills. After reading about so many others like me...same long-term experience as a PA, with the same range of score (low 200's)....who all took the exam recently this past summer....I am now angry as well as depressed. I don't feel that such close similarity of experience / result is a FLUKE.....Yes, I must prep again and borrow the test fee this time around......whatever happens happens. I'm getting to the point where I just don't care about the "C". The people I work for know what I can do. The NCCPA and the AAPA need to be investigated.....I am not so politically inclined, but would applaud anyone or any group who had the power and "Know-how_ to take them on.

sounds like we need to start a petition and get signatures demanding NCCPA look into scoring errors - I would sign even though it has not effected me as it is frightening to think about.....

I'm in for a petition. I still have a few years left, but if things don't turn around, I may take it early.

Okay, you guys are starting to make me nervous. I'm sitting for the exam in three weeks and I have virtually no time to prepare. I do remember back in the late 90s that I took the pathway II exam. It had five questions about headaches. I could tell the answers they wanted but I knew those answers were entirely wrong. So, being foolish and acting on principle, I answered them correctly. They were all marked wrong. I showed my boss who directed the headache program at Mayo Clinic. He of course agreed with my answers and totally disagreed with the answers the NCCPA wanted (which would have been right answers in the 1970s).

So I, again being foolish and a man of principle, started trying to contact the NCCPA. Soon I found myself feeling like a lowly serf standing in the mud at the bottom of a huge castle's walls screaming up . . . but no one even cracked a turret window. In other words, my e-mails, phone calls and snail mails all fell on deaf ears. So good lucky. I haven't been reading this thread until this morning so I've lost count of how many felt like they were screwed . . . but if there is enough and you can't get answers, then maybe as a group it would be time to get a lawyer.

Okay, you guys are starting to make me nervous. I'm sitting for the exam in three weeks and I have virtually no time to prepare. I do remember back in the late 90s that I took the pathway II exam. It had five questions about headaches. I could tell the answers they wanted but I knew those answers were entirely wrong. So, being foolish and acting on principle, I answered them correctly. They were all marked wrong. I showed my boss who directed the headache program at Mayo Clinic. He of course agreed with my answers and totally disagreed with the answers the NCCPA wanted (which would have been right answers in the 1970s).

So I, again being foolish and a man of principle, started trying to contact the NCCPA. Soon I found myself feeling like a lowly serf standing in the mud at the bottom of a huge castle's walls screaming up . . . but no one even cracked a turret window. In other words, my e-mails, phone calls and snail mails all fell on deaf ears. So good lucky. I haven't been reading this thread until this morning so I've lost count of how many felt like they were screwed . . . but if there is enough and you can't get answers, then maybe as a group it would be time to get a lawyer.

Legal action may be required; however, it would probably have to be initiated by someone who has failed the test. If those who have failed and have come here to try and find answers will not be proactive with at least the AAPA, then I have no sympathy for them.

Legal action may be required; however, it would probably have to be initiated by someone who has failed the test. If those who have failed and have come here to try and find answers will not be proactive with at least the AAPA, then I have no sympathy for them.
Certainly the "group" I was referring to were those who have failed . . . not me included . . . at least not yet :>)

Bears REPEATING...

Nahh...

Bet the NCCPA has a cadre of lawyers... and that they get letters regularly from folk who either aren't allowed to sit for the test or who have failed the PANCE/PANRE, or lost their certification for various reasons.

Point: A simple letter from a individual lawyer may work for some small company or org, but means little to a large org.

A "class action" may get some attention though...

The folks thus far affected by this may want to start a Facebook group to gather strength and momentum and have a place to strategize on how to force the NCCPA to respond and maybe instill some transparancy and accountability or at the least a credible avenue for some recourse.

YMMV

Contrarian

It would be interesting to know the percent pass rate this year, and whether it has changed significantly from last year to know whether there is a real problem.

I am curious about this as well. It may simply be a few people that have failed and we are made aware of it through this forum. On the other hand, it could be the start of a big problem. Either way, the lack of any review or re-scoring option is worrisome and suspicious.

I'd be curious to know how the test questions for each test are determined. Are there, for example five test formats? Are the questions pulled from the same source for the PANCE and the PANRE? Is there a limit on the age of the questions? I have heard the newest questions are at least three years old and some are >10. Knowing this for sure could make a big difference on how a person answers the questions. It sounds like, from what has been reported, the test questions have been made more difficult, i.e. tricky because too many were passing the PANRE. Seems a very poor reason. Questions like "pick the one best answer" carries much variability and leaves much to chance.

Why did the NCCPA drop Pathway II?

I'm still frustrated that I'm not physically able to take the test yet. Maybe it has been to my advantage. I'll do my part to help raise a stink whether I pass or fail.

I would encourage anyone taking panre to exercise the option to take it year 5 of the cycle. I have done this several times and although I have never failed it I felt better knowing that if something weird happened I would have more chances to retake.

I would encourage anyone taking panre to exercise the option to take it year 5 of the cycle. I have done this several times and although I have never failed it I felt better knowing that if something weird happened I would have more chances to retake.

I remember reading something as late as last year about extending the time between re-certification from 6 years to 10. Did this idea die, is it still a work in progress, or what?

That's what I've decided to do, so I have about 4 chances.

Hi...I failed, and in response to your curiosity....I have been successfully practicing 24yrs, and I studied hard. I actually came out feeling confident...the result was not a failure by a few points...it was dismal, yet I scored high 80s on Hematology......shocking. In reading this forum, I came across 2others with similar time in this profession who also felt they passed and were shocked by scores in the low 200's with 80s in Hematology.....How does one account for that. I am so suspicious that they purpously fail a certain percentage for the fee $. The scenarios were too exact...then the NCCPA conveniently refuses to rescore the test . They have admitted there have been numerous complaints...so why do they feel they don't have to address the issue......because they know. If I had to do it all over again....NO WAY PA!! NCCPA does nothing for it's own people.

surnturf, sorry for the distress this PANRE has caused you. I had similar experience with the PANCE and passed on 4th attempt. my grades and GPA are great.. I'm a good clinician...I just get brain freeze on exams that are life changing. I just passed my 1st PANRE so I know it can be done. don't confuse a test score with your own skills...they are not the same thing. good luck .

After reading this thread about well seasoned,practicing PA-Cs failing PANRE, I'm more than a little concerned about oversight of NCCPA by our national organization AAPA.

Of the many issues facing our profession this one has a huge effect on all practicing PA-Cs and not just the ones who failed PANRE. The difficulty of this exam process isn't just noted here on the forum~many other of my PA colleagues who have taken PANRE recently also have noted the changes in the exam questions as the specialty exams emerged. Personally, I found some of the exam questions quite unclear and created not for content knowledge rather for the purpose of highlighting exam question technique by the folks who write these questions. I often felt a "disconnect" on this exam with the core competencies that we have been lead to believe is the mission of this recertification process.

The NCCPA publishes the following in their mission statement:

"Our vision is to transform the delivery of quality healthcare by certifying qualified PAs through programs that improve patient care while exemplifying a commitment to excellence unparalleled among certifying organizations.Our mission is to serve the public through exemplary programs that evaluate critical PA competencies and that require the pursuit of life-long learning and improvement. "

What I want to know is who oversees this organization that is tackling transformation of the delivery of quality healthcare? While NCCPA finds new ways to test us, brings us the quality added competency certificate and otherwise find several new ways to get fees,who is looking out for the average PA who is required to engage with this organization for their livelihood? Transparency with exam feedback shouldn't be an option,it should be a requirement of this organization and shame on NCCPA for failing to provide timely,meaningful feedback to the people who pay their fees!

Archived