Failed PANRE miserably

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re-score......this happened to me as well, original score 800 which just did not fit with my breakdown; I thought it would have been 675-700 or so and so it was, and much more consistent than what I thought it would be since I am in academics and not clinical practice. When I saw the first score I thought, “this is actually a sad commentary on the profession” so I am relieved that it is actually not that bad. I was also very suspicious when I saw that people were failing with scores only slightly above 200 which would be unlikely for a conscious living and breathing person able to navigate to a test center.

Statistically not very many PAs are active in this forum. For three people to have posted within four hours today that they were re-scored from a fail to a pass, that actually means that lots of people were potentially affected by this. It’s a good think to keep an eye on and I hope that this is a lesson learned for NCCPA and the AAPA as well. There is no other profession that I know of where licenses and jobs are lost with failure.

I failed the first time and already retook the exam and passed. Now I found out I passed and shouldn't of even taken the 2nd test. I'm fing pissed. My life was hell for the 4 months after, I missed out on family time, personal time and I will never get that back. Thanks NCCPA!!

yes, add me to the list of an incorrect failure when I did indeed pass. The grief, self doubt and low self-worth created by that "failure" was unmeasurable. Sadly you are right that few PAs are aware of this forum. I only found it in a desperate google attempt and have not yet found one PA colleague in my city that has heard of it. Let us band together. Fight for a change. I, for one, have lost faith in the NCCPA and it has opened my eyes to what the future holds for our profession in comparison to NPs. I will not be able to just move on and forget about this.

hate to say it...... but it has got to be said.....

those that went from a failing to a passing grade should unite and bring a class action suit against NCCPA

This type of error is unacceptable and their feet should be heald firmly against the fire!

Did anyone not pass and have to stop working? if so they should be entitled to lost wages as well as mental suffering.

Everyone that failed and bought more books or took another review course should be reimbursed 100% for these expenses AND nccpa should be made to pay for their mistake..... this is just unimaginable that this would happen - imagine what would happen if this occured with the USMLE! We need to be outragged!!!!!!!!!!!

Add me to the list as well!!! I was devastated when I got my initial score...how could I possibly score so low after 24yrs of practice? Well, after reading this forum, I too was convinced that there had to have been a scoring error....there were too many other seasoned PAs with the same low score range. The insult to us all was how the NCCPA responded to those out there who called and wrote to them to question the integrity of the exam....

I too am now waiting for a refund. They have no idea how this has impacted those of us who rec. misinformation....I have been so stressed and depressed over this..not to mention all the quality family time lost because I have basically been in seclusion trying to prepare for another exam.

Why doesn't the NCCPA get off their high horse and start fighting for us.....NPs only have to certify once in their chosen field...it should be the same for us...with yearly CME to maintain cert. If there were a lawsuit, I'd def. join in....it's time; this fiasco has proven this.

Hi...I agree with you !!!! The same thing happened to me, and I am over 40, with small kids who take up most ofmy time...studying for the boards is a nightmare for me....I know my specialty, but the rest is a horror to re-learn every 6yrs. Happily, today I rec news that the exam I took August 1st was graded incorrectly and I DID pass. Now I have to wait for my refund for the rescheduled exam...but who will compensate for all the added lost time away from family while I began cramming all over again......the arrogance of the NCCPA is inexcusable...they were so rude to all who contacted them questioning the integrity of the exam, after rec. dismal scores.....and today I get this letter stating I DID pass afterall, and that there WAS a problem with the test after all..... with no apology anywhere on the page. I have lost all respect for the individuals who make up the NCCPA......they must be made to answer for this!!!!

I took the test in July and received a score of 200...the LOWEST possible reportable score. I immediately called because I had felt very confident that I had done well. And my scores had actualy improved since taking it 3 months prior. I received a 348 that time. I emailed both sets of scores and even broke it down to statistics...there is NO way for my score to drop by 148 points if I improved in 18 out of 20 areas....I was told that there was no possible way to have my test rescored and that I was welcome to "just take it again." JUST?? It's sooooo stressful, and it's my career! I don;t take this lightly! I knew it was an incorrect score, and they must have, as well. But I was made to feel that I was just "whining" because I had not passed....I'm livid. I have lost sleep, opportunities, and desire to work in this profession!

I am just returning from the CME resources review course in Vegas (Still at airport). It was a great course. I am do to recertify for the 2nd time next month. ;When I got to the course on 10/3/11  I was very concerned when I found out, there were almost 20 individuals out of 210 students that failed there PANRE in recent months, and are now here to take review course for their 2nd try of the PANRE. ;All of these individuals were highly skilled, and very well respected by there supervising MD's, and Hospital instituitions.;Many of them give back to the community and  teach as adjunct faculty at PA programs, volunteer on medical missions to Africa etc.  Yesterday when the news came of the scoring error, almost all of them converted from a failing grade to a passing grade, we were all very happy for them, and they too felt very relieved.   <br>These individuals went through a significant amount of  mental trauma, anxiety, loss of quality family time.  Many of them did not do anything this past summer except study, and were further disturbed once they found out they failed. Some were self employed, so they have no vacation time, cme time, CME allowance, and if they don't work, they don't get $$. They all felt humiliated, and embarrassed in front of there family, kids, and employers. Its disheartening what these PA's went thru, they once were heroe's at their workforce, and  homes, and now they were labeled as FAILURES by the NCCPA.  Many of these guys were recertifiying for the 5th time and never had failed previously. Many felt they don't know how else to prepare, as they thought they initally gave it there best Some even started to make preparations in case they failed again, causing loss of jobs, taking loans from family members etc. I think all the PA's should unite, and need to take a serious look at this recertification process. ;It is unreasonable for the NCCPA to have the final say for your future. Our profession can work successfully just like all of the other mid level providers (NP's, Pharm D., RT) without having to take an exam every 6 years, and causing mental trauma on us, and deviating our focus from our loved ones, and patients. If we are not good clinicians, our supervising MD's, and Hospital institutions should make that judgement, and take action on us if needed, not NCCPA.   Our profession is growing by leaps and bounds, and the number of PA's in the field is rising exponentially, which means we are all easily replaceable.  We should not have added stress of passing an exam every 6 years.

I think legal action should be taken for this mess up. This could have been fatal, causing detrimental mental trauma, depression, suicidal ideation?

We should all get together, and voice our opinion.

Facebook would be a great tool to get everyone together

• 4 weeks later...

Having just taken this exam and awaiting the results, (of which I am not feeling comfortable that I passed), I am wondering if I didn't will I lose my job. I have practiced for 25 years inthe same field, Family medicine and attend conferences and maintain my CME but wonder if I failed do I have to take it again, will I lose my job, will I be able to get another job as a PA with 25 successful years as a clinician? I like many have knots in my stomach and restless nights thinking about this test and beyond. Comments appreciated.

• 4 months later...
I finally took it. I think there were 300 questions on the test. Did they go back to the old version? Maybe they gave me the PANCE to see if I could pass it. Nothing would surprise me at this point.

How was it? Do you feel good about it? Let us know how you did when you get the results, if you don't mind.

I took the exam 2 days ago and am anxiously awaiting the results. I thought it was very difficult and much harder than those in the past. Mine had 240 questions. I studied for about 6 months and concentrated on cardio, pulm, GI, ortho, and renal. The questions were very complicated. I specialize so it's always a challenge to relearn everything. It's extremely concerning that the NCCPA scored so many people incorrectly- without this forum, I don't think we'd know the extent of it.

why do you suggest the primary care version?

Because it is my understanding that even the specialty versions are basically MOSTLY the primary care version with a small percent of specialty specific questions tossed in. If this is so... then you would still need to know the primary care stuff to comfortably pass anyway.

Do a search here about the new content and find specific discussion/complaints about the mix of questions in these "specialty" exams that are apparently mostly (?~60-75%?) primary care to get a idea of what we are speaking to.

Archived