Failed PANRE miserably

I have been following this thread from the beginning. I'm not due to certify for several more years but am alarmed at the test failures lately. I have specialized since day one so I have an uphill battle when it comes time to study. And I agree with a PP that those of us who aren't "affected" should speak up. I am not the best letter-writer but if someone who is would draft something up, I would be happy to send a personalized version to the NCCPA. I just checked their website under "contact us" and I am not very clear who/what it would be sent to.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just curious if anyone has knocked on the door of the office suite in Georgia and demanded to have their issues heard? Trust me, coming from many years in hospital administration, when the perception of the masses is that the ones in charge are not being transparent... there is a reason for that. Until one of these PAs with a failed PANRE that also has a brother in law with a law degree makes an official, legal request of them they will not address the issue publicly. Maybe it's time the community begins to pool funds to support such an action? - Jeff

I just completed the CME Resouces Chicago review and am scheduled to take the PANRE in about 2 weeks. The only thing that was mentioned during the course review was that the test seemed to be more difficult than previous ones. Several PA's that I spoke with said that several of their classmates did not pass PANCE but that was the only information I got. Since this review course has a practice test each night (total of 4 practice tests) I have a good idea where I will score on the PANRE. So, once I take the test I will post whether my score correlated with the practice tests or not.

Took my 12yr PANRE Saturday, got score already, and did very well....this is my opinion of the exam; I studied x 1 month mostly on weekends and usually. About 1hr/ night otherwise. I used 3 methods;

I highly recommend doing the NCCPA web-based practice exams

I loved the Appleton-Lange (yellow) book.

I hold Dr Diamond in very high regard, but did not find his book nearly as beneficial as the previous 2 methods of review.

I also glanced (not much more than that) at the word-association PDF on this website, along with some other step-3 usmle stuff I found via google....

I signed up for the Adult-Medicine exam, but was dismayed by the quantity of pediatric based questions as that was the one area I basically avoided studying. I am writing a letter to the NCCPA (my 3-day window) to alert them to this fact. I did not feel good leaving the exam.

See you in 6 yrs. Feel free to contact me w/ any further questions.

WOW! I am extremely happy to find this page. For some reason I didn't see it until now. I took the exam (regular family med)the first weekend after the change. I studied for 3 months form the AAPA book and took some questions on line. I felt ok going into the test but after.........where in the world did those questions come from and was this the right test? I felt mislead. Fast forward to Monday when I found out I failed!!!!! Oh no!! Well, my PA friend was going to take it that next weekend. She felt the same way and then found out she failed. She even took CME resources.

Since we have signed up to retake it and have been trying different ways to study.....UMDNJ lectures, Van Rhee book and the major test banks. I honestly do not know if this will be enough. We both have wondered how people were doing after the change in June. Well, now I know. This does make me feel better that I am not the only one in this boat, though I do not want anyone else to fail. Something must be wrong. I personally didn't know anyone who has taken it since the change to ask except for my friend so we just thought wow ok we obvisouly dont know this. We both were in the same PA class and did fairly well and passed the PANCE with flying colors.

I really do not know the answer but hopefully all this additional studying (6 months total) now will pay off and I can keep my job, feed my family and live life. My supervising physician states "You must pass!" YIKES not like more pressure and not like I WANT to fail.

I signed up for the Adult-Medicine exam, but was dismayed by the quantity of pediatric based questions as that was the one area I basically avoided studying. I am writing a letter to the NCCPA (my 3-day window) to alert them to this fact. I did not feel good leaving the exam.

This was also discussed at the CME Resources review. They basically said that even if you take the "adult medicine" exam - that is only supposed to be 40% of the test - therefore 60% of the rest could technically be peds questions - not to blow off the other subjects just because you are taking the specialty test.

You would think that if one chose to take the specialty test - it would actually BE a specialty test and not comprise only 40% of the questions. I thought that was the whole point of making these other tests available but apparently not so.

I had a 288 and I believe she had a 360 something. Not far away but still failed.

Is these the scores for your PANRE or the scores that were estimated from CME Resources after taking practice exams? I would be really interested in what your friend's estimated PANRE score would have been, because the CME guys state that you will score within 50 points of your practice tests.

Is these the scores for your PANRE or the scores that were estimated from CME Resources after taking practice exams? I would be really interested in what your friend's estimated PANRE score would have been, because the CME guys state that you will score within 50 points of your practice tests.

I will have to ask her what her CME testing scores were. I didn't take it so I obviously don't have anything to go by.

I took the PANRE earlier this month. I noticed that in the breakdown of the topic areas, although I had a lower percentage of correct questions in just about every area compared to the PANRE I took 6 years ago, my computed score was significantly better. I can only guess that this reflects the unfortunate increase in the number of people performing poorly on the test. I took the standard primary care test, not one of the specialized tests.

I had followed the thread here for the past month or so, and was quite anxious before & after the test, and although relieved that I passed, I am concerned that something may still be wrong with the tests - possibly bad programming on the part of the newer tests? I don't know. I wish the best of luck to everyone who has to test (or re-test).

Three years ago my actual score was twenty points lower than the one predicted by CME Resources.

I took my PANRE Wednesday the 31st and had my score Friday the 2nd. That was a real surprise. And a relief, I PASSED. I can honestly say I studied for over 3 months.... more seriously the last month. I took every practice sxam I could find and focused on the areas I was weak in. I used the Harrison's to review as well as the First Aid for the Family Medicine Boards. I also used the Family Practice Examination and Board Review book. I had not even looked at the O'Connell and Zarbock review book until I found this website and read other posts. I then overnighted the book from Amazon and took the pretest and post test. I then listed all the information on my I-phone note pad and reviewed it every chance I could get. I passed by a good margin, it was my highest score yet.

I scored within 57 points of my actual CME resources test. Funny thing, CME resources touts a 99% pass rate, yet they never contacted me to find out if I passed or failed. Wonder how they come up with a 99% pass rate if they do not collect data? Is this based only on those that contact them to say I passed or failed?

i took the PANRE last week. although i didn't score as low as some others on this thread, i didn't pass either. i signed up for the "surgery" exam and honestly couldn't tell the difference between the "surgery" questions and the medicine questions. they all looked the same to me.

i felt that the test was inconsistent at best. some questions had generic drug names, some questions had both generic and trade names. really? seriously? that's how you write an exam????

i also had a question that showed a single image from a ct scan; asked to make a diagnosis and then who would i refer the pt to. SERIOUSLY NOW, A SINGLE IMAGE FROM A CT SCAN????? who can make a diagnosis from that?????? and what primary care PA reads CT scans anyway????? and it's not like the images are full page size either; they're about 3" x 3" so you basically need a magnifying glass to see anything! and since they make you turn your pockets inside out and basically strip search you before you go in to the exam room, there's no way you're getting a magnifying glass or anything else in there.

not sure what my next step is....i took the kaplan review course for this (NOT helpful and NOT recommended); studied like crazy from the zarbock book along with her online pre and post test; did some USMLE questions online; and used the CD question bank from the emory review course.

i think i might do the emory review course next and see what happens. this is my 5th year, so i can take it again in december and then twice next year.

if i fail, i think i'm going to sell everything and move to the virgin islands and set up a yacht charter business.

oh, and btw, i've been in cardiac surgery practice for about 25yrs.

I too failed the PANRE in June 2011 and Im scheduled to retake this dreaded exam in Nov. 2011. I have been postponing it because the failed score destroyed my confidence so much and i didn't even want to think about taking it again. I would like to know if anyone knows of any study groups. I studied my brains out for preparation for the test in June 2011, but obviously i'm doing something wrong and need help. This is my last opportunity to take it, or else I wont be certified. uuuuugh! Please help, I am located in NY and am in desperate need of a study group or tutor!!!!!! thanx again

Here is my post from another thread earlier today. Too many similar stories. I called NCCPA and was given the standard non answer.

I just joined the seemingly long line of those not passing the current PANRE. This was my 5th PANRE passing the previous 4 with no probs. I used the AAPA book, NCCPA practice exams and just general review to prepare. None of this prepared me for the waaaay in depth and zebra questions on the current PANRE. One infectious disease question dealt with a disease in which <50 cases a yr are reported to CDC. I just didn't fail I went down in flames. My score was 52% lower than my score on the 2005 PANRE!!!!

IMO this is nothing but a money-making scam for the nccpa. it seems that way too many people are not passing and are having to fork over an additional $350 for a re-take (or 2. or 3.). i can't believe that our supposed "voice", the aapa, isn't stepping up to the plate.

nccpa has a monopoly on this; who the H3LL put them in charge of whether or not i can continue to practice in my chosen field? and why do i need to know dermatology, neurology, ID, ob/gyn, etc??? was there some law that was passed that gave them the authority to dictate what we can and can't do based on their exams that are completely out of touch with reality????

i do CARDIAC SURGERY and have done it very well for the past 25 years. all of a sudden, i'm not passing this ridiculous exam and my livelihood is in jeopardy?!?!?

there has to be a way to band together on this and force some type of change...

Archived