I am the Object of My Pimp's Affection

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

S4. Why do you hear an S3 and not an s4?

What fracture indicates acl tear?

S3 occurs from volume overload or the blood "splashing" into the ventricle, not from a valve. ACL tears occur from hyperextension of the knee, don't know if this is right but looked up Segond fracture? I'm curious what this is though...

MC cause of hyponatremia in a euvolemic patient?

S3 occurs from volume overload or the blood "splashing" into the ventricle, not from a valve. ACL tears occur from hyperextension of the knee, don't know if this is right but looked up Segond fracture? I'm curious what this is though...

MC cause of hyponatremia in a euvolemic patient?

your answer is technically true, but doesn't answer the question. What is the action of the heart during an S3? What causes an S4?

Yes, a segond fracture. I just call it a tibial plateau fracture though because my ortho attendings in training hated when you used the moniker.

your answer is technically true, but doesn't answer the question. What is the action of the heart during an S3? What causes an S4?

Yes, a segond fracture. I just call it a tibial plateau fracture though because my ortho attendings in training hated when you used the moniker.O

Ok, trying again...S4 gallop indicates LVH and is atrial systole into a stiff left ventricle. The atria are not contracting in a-fib, therefore no S4 can be present. S3 is rapid filling of the ventricle that occurs after atrial contraction. Don't know if you were looking for a specific description of the heart's action during S3 in a pt. w/ a-fib though.

Ok, trying again...S4 gallop indicates LVH and is atrial systole into a stiff left ventricle. The atria are not contracting in a-fib, therefore no S4 can be present. S3 is rapid filling of the ventricle that occurs after atrial contraction. Don't know if you were looking for a specific description of the heart's action during S3 in a pt. w/ a-fib though.

correct there is no atrial contraction in afib so there can't be an S4. One note that was probably a typo in your post: an S3 comes during the passive filling, which occurs the whether in afib or nsr , of the heart BEFORE an atrial contraction.

• 3 weeks later...

What is Russell's sign?

It's scraped or raw areas on the patient's knuckles, caused by self-induced vomiting.

I used to work with MALES patients who have AN or BN (Anorexia Nervosa/Bulimia Nervosa). Yes, MALES! although predominantly affects women. It was an interesting grant.  

• Upvote 1