I am the Object of My Pimp's Affection

Can you defib with asystole? I hear no b/c nothing to defib....I hear rhythm may not be visible and do it anyway, in case it goes to court...my inquiring mind wants to know...

Technically it could be very fine VF but if you could document the rhythm strips showing what a reasonable clinician would interpet as asystole, you should (but not always!) be legally protected.

• 2 weeks later...
What does ESBL stand for/mean, and which bacteria is it typically in reference to?

ESBL: Extended Spectrum Beta-Lactamase

Typically associated with E. coli or Klebsiella species

A form of bacterial drug resistance. Beta-lactamases break down the beta lactam ring associated with penicillin based drugs (penicillinase) and cephalosporins (cephalosporinase).

Basically it makes a nasty bug nastier.

ESBL: Extended Spectrum Beta-Lactamase

Typically associated with E. coli or Klebsiella species

A form of bacterial drug resistance. Beta-lactamases break down the beta lactam ring associated with penicillin based drugs (penicillinase) and cephalosporins (cephalosporinase).

Excellent.

Basically it makes a nasty bug nastier.

Agreed! Not many abx options left except for carbapenems and cephamycins. MRSA and VRE aren't the only ones to worry about anymore unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll take a stab at it: A Millimole is 1/1000 of a mole, which is a specific amount of atoms or atomic compounds (Avagadro's number - don't remember the exact value, maybe 6.14x10^23?) of an element. A Milliequivalent refers to the millimole equivalent of an electrolyte that disassociates when dissolved. For example. NaCl and KCl will completely disassociate in solution to Na/K cations and Cl anions floating around, no longer ionically bound to each other. So, the millimole amount of NaCl would refer to the number of atoms of Na and Cl, whereas the milliequivalent amount of NaCl would refer to either just the number of Na ions or Cl ions (which are the same). Am I close?