I am the Object of My Pimp's Affection

I'll take a stab at this!

The CV and EKG findings don't match the Pulm and Ext findings. I would think if left heart failure exists, then one would hear some type of congestion in the lungs (wheezes, rales). If I were guessing, I'd guess this is right heart failure (which would result in left failure also), which is why the JVP is increased, and under these circumstances I would expect peripheral edema.

Good thinking. Not what I'm going for, which is partly my mistake. I should have specified that JVP measured at 2cm from sternal angle or 7cm from right atrium. So in our patient, the JVP is normal. You are right though, that had the JVP been 7cm from sternal angle, he would likely appear fluid overloaded (rales and edema as you described) on physical exam.

Look again at the physical exam and the EKG.

What is wrong (ie incorrect) with this physical exam, and why?
CV- IRRR. +S4.

Bueller?

The S4 heart sound is heard at the the end of diastole when the atrial contraction causes blood to hit a stiffened ventricle. You should not hear an S4 in someone who is in atrial fibrillation as they have lost this "atrial kick." The atrium is fibrillating, not properly contracting.

• 2 weeks later...

What I was looking for was pseudomonas coverage for a pediatric patient. Yes, all the above management options above are correct and technically you can get away with no antibiotic coverage for a nail/tooth pick puncture wound w/out signs of bacteremia.

However, in an ED without adequate f/u, it may be nice to give some coverage. Since FQs are out, a nice choice may be Bactrim (even with its <30% coverage vs Pseudomonas) it is the best option in this particular instance before having to break out the anti-pseudomonas or 3-4th cephalosporins.

Again, I'm only a student and not an ER veteran by any means... this was just what I was pimped on :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Here is a question from the ortho dept. What are the s&s of compartment syndrome? How do you confirm compartment syndrome? What is the treatment of choice?

The 6 Ps- Pain out of proportion, pallor, paresthesias, poikilothermia, paralysis, pulselessness

DX- by compartment pressure (can't remember the exact name)

TX- Remove cause if early, otherwise fasciotomy

Nice work Rev & chiaro...

Common ulcers are: HSV and syphillis(primary) ...and rarely, chancroid.

Uncommon/exotic ulcers include: LGV, Granuloma Inguinale ("Donovanosis"), TB, HIV

Others include; trauma, Bowens, Crohns Disease, Lichen Planus (erosive)

Here's a good ("quick") overview, representative of the CDC guidelines

http://depts.washington.edu/nnptc/online_training/std_handbook/pdfs/ch9_ulcers.pdf

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...