I am the Object of My Pimp's Affection

Pain Differences! 

Periorbital cellulitis will have EOM without pain and changes in visual acuity, and orbital cellulitis will present with pain and changes with visual acuity. 

Monitor closely for any changes regarding vision, and EOM. If there is ever a doubt.....CT

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am having painful flashbacks to a breast surgeon from 25 years ago who could put 600 titanium heme clips in one mastectomy.

Her initials were AML and we all giggled because the M could stand for malignancy.

She was MEAN in the OR and had no mercy.

An anesthesia resident would hold up anatomy books over my corner of the curtain to try to help me and others from her wrath. I hate Cooper's ligament.............................

The residents were evil and threw the new student in on a case with her first thing in the morning with no prep as to who the patient was and no access to the chart. You walked into a draped OR patient and got the joy of retracting a 10-15 pound breast while she painstakingly removed it with every piece of titanium in the state.

This thread is so much more fun and meaningful than the berating I received for 6 solid weeks.

I will check back in and play along!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Type A is generally related to a decrease in tissue perfusion or hypoxia

Type B is caused by innumerable other paths, oftentimes related to adrenergic stimulation, beta agonists, seizures, or simply crappy clearance (70% liver, 20% kidney, 10% heart/lung if I remember correctly)

So just because you've got an elevated lactate on your lab result it doesn't necessarily mean your patient is hypoxic or in some variety of shock state.  They could've been puffing on an albuterol neb with a lame liver.