I am the Object of My Pimp's Affection

What common house-hold item is an antidote for ethylene glycol poisoning? How does it work? What is now used in most hospitals instead?

Not a PA-S yet but I love this thread. :)

Ok, going from memory here, I can answer half: Ethylene glycol and alcohol are both metabolized by Alcohol Dehydrogenase, with ETOH having a higher affinity for the enzyme. So, either IV or oral ETOH are given to prevent metabolism of the ethylene glycol. This is useful because the metabolites cause renal failure. I believe dialysis is also indicated. I know someone else will come with a more complete answer, so I'm off to wikipedia to satisfy my immediate curiosity. :D

ETOH-

not sure how it works or hosp alternative

Ethylene glycol and alcohol are both metabolized by Alcohol Dehydrogenase, with ETOH having a higher affinity for the enzyme. So, either IV or oral ETOH are given to prevent metabolism of the ethylene glycol. This is useful because the metabolites cause renal failure. I believe dialysis is also indicated.

Very good. Fomepizole is the drug used in the hospital setting with the same mechanism of action as EtOH. And you're right... ethylene glycol poisoning is an indication for dialysis (remember your AEIOUs).

How does one treat acute pulmonary edema? (There are multiple right answers...)

Positive pressure ventilation

Diuretics

Q: Possibly dialysis ->IF not corrected w/ diuretics as an extension of Fluid Overload unresponsive to diuretics being an indication for dialysis?

(disclaimer- not even close to PA-S yet... but I'm getting there)

What common house-hold item is an antidote for ethylene glycol poisoning? How does it work? What is now used in most hospitals instead?

I believe the EtOH binds with stronger affinity to alcohol dehydrogenase, a major enzyme which catalyzes Ethylene Glycol to a more toxic agent (Formic acid?)

My guess is fomepizole (4-MP) that's used in its place now.

I think this treatment is similar to Methanol poisoning as well.

Figured I'd tack this on to the other answers. If I'm not mistaken, if you have the patients urine and suspect ethylene glycol, use a woods lamp and you may just see green urine for a (+) result.

How does one treat acute pulmonary edema? (There are multiple right answers...)

Positive pressure ventilation... Diuretics

This was taught to be by the chief resident during my anesthesiology rotation, my last rotation in PA school. Strangely, I hadn't heard it before, so maybe it'll be new to some you as well.

Lasix

Morphine

O2

Position (head of bead at 90 degrees) and Pressure (positive pressure ventilation)

Now all of these are not usually used at once but it's a good mnemonic nonetheless. I usually start with O2 and IV lasix. If they don't respond after these interventions, the pt is probably headed to the ICU.

Possibly dialysis
It'd be unusual for pulmonary edema alone to be indication for dialysis unless the pt was also total body overloaded and anuric/oligouric (think renal patients). If a pt can produced urine, then pharmacological therapy is usually effective... but good thinking.

Similar to the old CHF mnemonic LMNOP- N for nitrates.

Nitrates are venodilators so if your cause of pulm edema is cardiogenic, preload reduction would help.

Oops. You're right- was in a rush this morning and forgot the N for nitrates. Thanks, Anderson. So...

Lasix

Morphine

Nitrates

Oxygen

Position/Pressure

I know that Defib is only for Pulseless V-tach and V-Fib, and you defib at 200 biphasic or 360 monophasic...Cardioversion is used for other abnormal rhythms (darn i don't remember which) but you start lower, 50 i believe and you have to have the defibrillator in Sync Mode. Also you cannot defib in sync mode...

Everyone is getting at the right idea....

"Cardioversion" can be both chemical and electrical. In common use it refers to electrical conversion.

Both use current delivery to uniformly depolarize the myocardium and reset circuits/reentrance/etc.

Cardioversion is timed to the R wave (synchronized) so that the current is not delivered on the T wave, the dreaded R-on-T phenomenon which can lead to VF. (This can happen spontaneosly from a native PVC/ectopic signal at the right time).

Cardioversion is used for organized ventricular rhythms- a fib, flutter, SVTs, etc.

Cardioversion is technically used for VT since the ventricular activity is organized, just fast (+/- stability).

Defibrillation is delivered at ANY time during the electrical cycle, and applies to only disorganized or pulseless rhythms (VF, pulseless VT). Defibrillation is by definition not synced.