I am the Object of My Pimp's Affection

• 3 weeks later...
Hm. I know one is low platelet count and another is the petechiae and/or ecchymoses. I imagine from your hint that there is some kind of CNS involvement or stroke risk. I also recall something about the kidneys. But that's only 4 things, assuming they're correct.

Yes!

1. thombocytopenia

2. microangiopathic hemolytic anemia

3. acute renal failure

4. confusion/neurologic symptoms

5. fever

Unfortunately, this patient ended up having hemophagocytic lymphohistocytosis (look it up!) and passed away of liver failure and sepsis.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I thought CHADS2 score allows us to predict the risk of stroke in patients with atrial fibrillation and guides us in the use of oral anticoagulants.

Yep:

Criteria                                       Score

Recent exacerbation of CHF       1 

Hypertension                               1

Age (over 75)                               1

Diabetes                                       1

Prior Stroke or TIA                        2

CHADS2 score            Stroke rate, %/y

0                                   1.9

1                                   2.8

2                                   4.0 

3                                   5.9

4                                   8.5

5                                 12.5

6                                 18.2

Ok I'm guessing it has something to do w/ HGBs O2 affinity. The higher PaO2 causes a decrease in HGBs affinity for O2, resulting in a less than substantial rise in O2 content compared to the rise in PaO2 (the curve levels off). My guess for the CO2 question would be to say one of the last things you want in a patient with an AMI would be systemic vasodilation (unless you need to practice RSI). As for the NRB question, I'm stumped.

Thanks Oneal. Good stuff, even if I'm wrong.

• Upvote 1

Ok I'm guessing it has something to do w/ HGBs O2 affinity. The higher PaO2 causes a decrease in HGBs affinity for O2, resulting in a less than substantial rise in O2 content compared to the rise in PaO2 (the curve levels off). My guess for the CO2 question would be to say one of the last things you want in a patient with an AMI would be systemic vasodilation (unless you need to practice RSI). As for the NRB question, I'm stumped.

Thanks Oneal. Good stuff, even if I'm wrong.

I like that you're thinking.

The formula is CaO2= (SaO2 x 1.34 x hgb) + (PaO2 x .003)

So you see, if the patient is already saturating their hgb to 100%, then you can only raise the O2 content of blood by raising the partial pressure (pao2), which contributed .003 mg/dl per mmHg. So it really doesn't help much. Of course we do it because you don't want to be the guy in court who didn't put O2 on an MI. Just a mental exercise.

I think you confused the second part. You theoretically *don't* want to drop CO2, which can happen with a NRB since you are supposedly breathing pure O2, because you cause coronary vasoconstriction as opposed to vasodilation. They use to hyperventilate people with increased ICP to help lower it through vasoconstriction, though I believe this is not done now because they were infarcting brains :/