Pharmaceutical Sales

Administration

Teaching

Ditch-diggin'

Construction

Day laborer

Retail Sales

McDonalds Management Team

Some of these jobs do not actually utilize the PA degree. Some would argue that none of them do.

Just out of curiosity, why do you ask?

I ask because despite my best intentions and efforts I made a terrible, soul crushing mistake. I still have many skills outside of the clinic and would like to use them. My preference is not to be a pharm rep or dig ditches. So if anyone has any input for someone who is grieving I would appreciate it. 

where did it say that they practiced for 25 + years? I am coming to a similar conclusion that after 28 years I am not "having fun anymore" Probably because of the stress level which continues to rise like the temperature in Houston. However , unlike Rebuilder, I have a tentative plan as to what to do next using my medical and administrative skills (I owned my own practice and medical center in NYC).

Does anyone know of any job types that are available for a PA that is outside of clinical practice ?

Thanks

I've seen a rare research position posted every so often in the past couple years. They are rare and might only be good for a few years but it looked like decent money with great hours.

Guest Paula

EPIC is hiring PAs, if you want to live in Wisconsin.

WI is not all bad if you like record breaking snow and cold, cheese curds, mosquitos,  the Green Bay Packers and beer.  I've lived here now for 20 years and have survived it nicely but it makes me miss my home state of Minnesota and the Vikings.  Skol!

I ask because despite my best intentions and efforts I made a terrible, soul crushing mistake. I still have many skills outside of the clinic and would like to use them. My preference is not to be a pharm rep or dig ditches. So if anyone has any input for someone who is grieving I would appreciate it. 

Sounds like something bad happened to you. I hope you can move forward from whatever it is. 

I have personally met PAs who have done the following:

Medical device rep

Editor/ content provider for medical web site

Educator, not only in PA programs but college and university instructors

Representative for medical associated organization

Researcher

Clinical informatics

Lecturer

Medical facility administrator

Risk management in healthcare facility

Lawyer (went back to school, works in healthcare law)

Something I would like to point out, any healthcare provider with 25+ yrs of experience is a difficult to replace resource. There are options available to pick up the pieces even after terrible mistakes. I have anecdotal experiences with 2 physicians I have worked with that made life changing mistakes for themselves and patients. Through various routes they have returned to medicine in different forms. I also have anecdotal experience with a PA who has come back from substance abuse, a tragic outcome for a pt and a prison sentence as a result of an overt crime who found their way back to practice. There is a way to rebuild, just look at the many public figures in this country who commit extraordinary outrageous acts and are eventually forgiven. 

Good luck

G Brothers PA-C

EPIC is hiring PAs, if you want to live in Wisconsin.

I have a friend who lives about a mile from the Epic campus.  It's a nice campus and it's expanding.  Verona/Madison is a nice area.

I've heard mixed reviews about working for Epic mainly from the developer side of things.  No idea what it would be like as a PA working for them.

T-system hires PAs as consultants as well.

Yes, they do.  However, they aren't the same company since the original local ED physicians sold out to the larger corporation.  I can remember during my consultation status how excited I was to see a Keurig machine before everyone knew what they were.  They also kept sandwich meats, bread, and other beverages onsite for employees to have for lunch (and to increase productivity).

EMR out of Dallas that initially began as complaint oriented paper templates.  Very little free-noting since the whole idea was to circle, slash, back slash, and check pre-listed hx., PMH, ROS, PE, studies, dx., and tx. plan options already pre-configured.  Two local EM docs came up with the idea in a Dallas 'burb, established the company in Dallas, and then later cashed out.

Archived