How long were you at your first job?

This is a discussion that has come up from time to time between coworkers and other PAs I know and/or work with.  Did some poking around in the forums here but can't find too much on the topic.

How long did you stay at your first job out of PA school?  What prompted you to move on?  Did you stay in the same specialty with your second job?

Just looking for insight as to how you guys progressed in your career.

I stayed 5 mos (mostly b/c the contract stated a NINETY DAY notice of resignation) I worked in Physiatry and at first was promised all sorts of opportunities but quickly realized it was a mill for me to setup the doc with procedures. It was a horrible work environment. I had no desk or even a phone. I had to ask one of the MAs to use the phone. Staff turnover was about every 2-3 weeks. I had 3 totally new staff in my 5 mos there. The office mgr was the doc's wife...nuff said.

I learned what I can and left when I could. I switched to GI (did a rotation in GI/hep transplant at Stanford during PA school) and stayed a year but I really wanted primary care so I left amicably in fact the GI doc and I are very good friends. Ive been in PC for the past 2 years and loving it.

I will say, both specialties have helped me tremendously in PC so I dont count them a waste-even the first job. I figure it was extended education/prep for my practice now.

Sent by my Samsung S4 Active via Tapatalk

2 yrs. realized I had maxed out scope of practice and took a transfer with the same organization to a place that allowed pas to see sicker pts. They paid for my move and I maintained my seniority but took an 8 dollar/hr pay cut...but it was worth it. stayed full time at job #2 for 2 more years then went part time there and took the next step up the ladder, again for a pay cut and again worth it.

Stayed in my first job full time for 4 mos, then went to 1 day week in that job (internal medicine/UC) and took a full time UC position elsewhere.  I stayed in that job part time for about 15 months, then quit as the UC took over my life.  Still in UC 2 years after the fact - been out of PA school for 2 years and 4 months. 

A little over 2 yr at first job. Loved it but commuted nearly 2 hr/day. Rolled my car on the way to work one day--banged up and bruised with minor lacs but damn I miss that car. But still kept with it until my SP (we job shared) had too much going on in her life to maintain a FM practice so she gave it up to do urgent care and I got a job in town. That was almost a perfect job until I got bored several years later and moved cross-country and took the plunge into EM. It's good to shake up your life every once in a while :)

I stayed 18 years.  I took over the practice after 5 years and bought the center in Queens, NY after 3 more years.  Sold the practice to a local hospital to rotate their FP residents through and moved to Houston, TX in 2004.  Sold the medical center at the top of the real estate bubble.  Now working in FP after 4 years in ENT.

I was in ortho spine for about 5 months---it payed well but turned out to be too much for me as a new grad and learning curve was too steep for both me and the practice. I'm glad I got out; I hated the hours and the demands.

Now I'm in occ med and have been for over a year. It's a great lifestyle but a lot of "my back hurts" medicine and a big pay cut. Still looking for a happy medium between clinical satisfaction and a good lifestyle.

All of these comments are making me feel so much better about my current situation!
I've been in hand/ upper extremity ortho for 3 years, first job out of PA school. I love it, but am about to move out of state with my boyfriend who just accepted a job. I've been looking, but haven't found any ortho yet, and may have to switch specialties. Sounds like that's what a lot of people do! I was starting to worry that I had pigeon-holed myself.

• 4 weeks later...

Grad 2010-First job neurosurg 16 months. Learned a ton about brain and spine. (Husbands job moved out of state so then few months later I did too.) in new state, Applied to ER, got hired, credentialling took 5 months so in the mean time worked 6 mos in out patient peds. Loved it. Great training for ER. In ER now almost two years now and occasionally work over in the ped ER as well when theyre super busy. Still treading water some days, 20, 26, 27 patients. Cerner eats up my minutes. Argh! But so far no trouble w length of jobs. I plan to do er at least five years, likely til retirement.

Archived