#1 PAS2014

PAS2014

Registered

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 03:26 PM

Hey all,

I've been a licensed PA for about 9 months, working for the past 5 months.  I took my first job as a general medical provider/psychiatry PA at a locked psychiatric hospital in a rural area.  It is a very, very poor environment to be an APP in many ways, thus I am already seeking an out. I certainly don't feel comfortable with practicing medicine yet and I'm getting zero training/supervision by my current physician.  

However, I interviewed and was accepted into a primary care fellowship at a very well-respected academic center in my current city which would start in July.  I am hopeful that some of you current or past residents/fellows can give me some insight on your training and your practice ability after the fellowship/residency ended.  In my area (Midwest) fellowships and residencies for APPs are just now starting to appear so 99% in my area don't have them.

The details are as follows:

Mostly internal medicine specialty rotations, some urgent care, some FP rotations (+/- rural FP/ER, depending on the location), didactics, research, examinations, presentations, etc.  It's 12 months in length.  The hospital system has stated that they "plan to place all fellows in positions with the system after completion of training".  I realize this is not a guarantee, but I'm also not bound to take a position with the hospital afterward either, so that clause is fine with me.  

I'm still trying to figure out what I want to practice in medicine, which is one reason I chose to become a PA - so I could switch if need be.  I like so many areas of medicine, which is why I think doing a primary care residency would be great option for me. But, I want to see what other residents/graduates think of their experience and how they were received by employers after the fact. 

#2 EMEDPA

EMEDPA

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,303 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:13 PM

didn't do an em residency myself(there were none when I graduated), but everyone I know who did is very happy with the decision and working in high-end jobs with great pay and scope of practice.

Moderator, Emergency Medicine Forum
Emergency Medicine PA, EMT-P
Doctor of Health Science & Global Health
30 years in Emergency Medicine

#3 LT_Oneal_PAC

LT_Oneal_PAC

PA-C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:06 PM

I think naming the primary care residency would help. I've not seen any primary care residencies that I would highly recommend. Actually I don't even know if any outside the Carolinas healthcare system.

I plan I doing an EM residency. If there were a true FP residency or a true IM residency, that would be great. Most of the ones I know are outpatient or inpatient only

U.S. Navy PA, FMFQO
LT "Doc Holliday", PA-C, RN

#4 boonerick

boonerick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:03 PM

Hi everyone! 

I need to write my residency personal statement, but I'm not sure that my English skills are good enough to write it on my own. Closer to the point: I found this site that offers help, what do you think of it? should i use it? 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: primary care, internal medicine, residency, fellowship

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users