I just had a baby and I am really desiring cut back to part time at my current job at internal medicine as it is very intense with long hours and lots of charting. I would like to find a remote job to work part time with a possible transition to full time eventually. Are there any recommendable companies I could look into? Also, I am interested in working in a non clinical role as a PA as well if there is any suggestions for that. 

Thanks!

• Administrator

Sad to say, but it sounds like the WFH/Telemedicine jobs have a LOT of PAs in your position, so the supply is quite high and the pay will likely be much lower than you are used to.

8-9 months ago, I was helping an MD I knew out doing telemedicine visits for Rx'ing Covid therapeutics, MABs and then Paxlovid, but they eventually found a bunch of NPs to do the job for quite a bit cheaper. Now, that's pretty much dried up for them too.

Telehealth “companies” are like roofing companies after a hurricane. A lot of them really suck and don’t pay with a lot of unknowns about laws etc.

Find a larger medical system and see if they have a telemedicine division.

The VA offers virtual jobs. Usajobs.gov 

Talk to your own IM office and propose a virtual division for yourself. Quarterly video appts for chronic disease management or immediate needs - work ins, hospital follow ups etc. Doximity has caller ID masking and video capacity. Your group might bite at the idea and you get part time and home work. 

Best of luck

• Upvote 2

This is the problem with us PAs - we have to go look for "jobs" that businessmen create. Pretty much almost everyone in psych is now doing some kind of telehealth; although most positions are at least hybrid now. Lots of NPs are setting up their own shops from homes. I am not convinced any other specialty can be done well remotely 

Edited by iconic

56 minutes ago, iconic said:

I am not convinced any other specialty can be done well remotely 

I am not either. It has become fashionable to use telehealth so bean counters are forcing the issue. I maintain the right to decide if a virtual visit for one of my patients (primary care/IM) is appropriate or not. Mostly they are not. My patient population is mostly older with many co-morbidities and hands-on as often as possible is what is best for them. Generally I accept 1 virtual visit for every 10 they try to schedule.

• Upvote 2

• Administrator
1 hour ago, sas5814 said:

I maintain the right to decide if a virtual visit for one of my patients (primary care/IM) is appropriate or not.

For injured workers, I use telehealth a lot for people in distant counties who are medically stable, which is a fair bit of my patient population.  I'd say I do 20% of visits via telemedicine.... but those are a lot of the quick check-ins and status updates.

Washington State Labor and Industries' permanent (post-Covid) rules on this state that either the practitioner or the patient can insist on in-person visits, so everyone has veto power and we only do telemedicine if everyone agrees it's the right thing to do.