Psychiatry Certification Program for PAs

Hello! 

I wanted to get opinions on what all of you practicing psych PAs think about doing an online psychiatry certification. The only one I have been able to find is through RMU (Rocky Mountain University) and it is the only online certification program for PAs that I have seen. I am currently doing primary care and would like to eventually transfer to psychiatry (child and adolescent psych in particular) but am stuck finishing out a scholarship commitment in primary care at the moment so am unable to get the hands on experience through a job setting until late next year. Its decently expensive but seems like a very comprehensive program and is 100% online. I am unsure if its truly necessary to go through it or if I should just try to get a gig for hands on experience without going through a whole certification program. Please let me know thoughts/advice or if any of you have completed this program or know of any other online psych programs!

It's not really a certification, it's a DMSc program with concentration in psychiatry. The only true certifications are the ones offered by NCCPA and you can get a psychiatry CAQ, but you have to be working in the field already. Employers are not that familiar with different DMSc programs but interestingly enough given how many NPs are DNPs now, many do seem to value doctoral degrees at least in psych. 

Edited by iconic

• Administrator
41 minutes ago, iconic said:

It's not really a certification, it's a DMSc program with concentration in psychiatry. The only true certifications are the ones offered by NCCPA and you can get a psychiatry CAQ, but you have to be working in the field already. Employers are not that familiar with different DMSc programs but interestingly enough given how many NPs are DNPs now, many do seem to value doctoral degrees at least in psych. 

Would be nice if someone would make an online program designed to get someone to the psych CAQ. As-is, it is pretty much impossible for someone who isn't working in psych to get the signoff, even if they have the hours, cat 1 CME, and can pass the CAQ exam.  This severely rate-limits our ability to expand into psych, when a PMHNP doesn't have to have ANY clinical hours before sitting for her or his boards.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, iconic said:

They actually have 2 options- DMSc program with psychiatry concentration track and have a separate psychiatry certification for PAs that prepares you for the CAQ exam and will award you a psychiatry certificate as well at the end of the program. The psychiatry certification program courses will also transfer to the DMSc program if you decide to go on to get the doctorate. I am more curious if anyone has done just the psych certification program and if there are any others out there!

12 hours ago, rev ronin said:

Would be nice if someone would make an online program designed to get someone to the psych CAQ. As-is, it is pretty much impossible for someone who isn't working in psych to get the signoff, even if they have the hours, cat 1 CME, and can pass the CAQ exam.  This severely rate-limits our ability to expand into psych, when a PMHNP doesn't have to have ANY clinical hours before sitting for her or his boards.

I guess that's what residencies are for. It's the same for all CAQs. 

• Administrator
12 hours ago, iconic said:

I guess that's what residencies are for. It's the same for all CAQs. 

Gee, I thought they were to demonstrate competencies, not be a residency completion certificate.  Seriously, if that's what they're there for, fine, but it's not the way it's written.

One can get a CAQ without doing a residency, but as Rev mentioned, you need to already work in the specialty, have done the required cme, and get signed off on procedures before taking the test. It is a way to recognize proficiency in a specialty, not an entry level qualification.