What is the best part of being a PA?

The chance to practice medicine and make a difference in a reasonable amount of time. I had lots of HCE before then, but I took my first prereq at age 51, worked in my full-time job for another 7 years while I finished the prereqs, and then went off to my 27 months of PA training. I can't imagine getting here any other way.

And KMD16 is right, too!

Barry

Marietta Class of 06

Cardiology PA, EMT-P, retired engineer

Author of Old Man on Campus

I get to take care of people. I'm not running numbers, taking out garbage, washing dishes, scrubbing toilets, or designing airplanes. I take care of people. It's amazing when I think about it. People are concerned. "Is my heart ok? Do I have diabetes? Why do my fingers go numb occasionally? I have a fever... Am I really sick?" These are their worries and their questions. Sometimes they're seriously ill, sometimes not. But they come to me to figure it out and help them. It's an awesome responsibility and I love it. As you can tell, it is quite rewarding.

ability to influence a patient's life in their hour of greatest need.

saw a guy nice older guy tonight with no pcp, off all his meds for months. terrible bp, multiple comorbidities, etc.

tuned him up and arranged a new pcp for him. with any luck just added several years to his life....patients like this make all the folks with drug seeking, paper cuts and benign self limiting illnesses worthwhile. just one/shift. that's all I ask.

flexibile scheduling, variety of pt presentations, and ability to work almost anywhere, anytime.

saw a guy nice older guy tonight with no pcp, off all his meds for months. terrible bp, multiple comorbidities, etc.

tuned him up and arranged a new pcp for him. with any luck just added several years to his life....patients like this make all the folks with drug seeking, paper cuts and benign self limiting illnesses worthwhile. just one/shift. that's all I ask.

flexibile scheduling, variety of pt presentations, and ability to work almost anywhere, anytime.

That is so cool.

For me, it is being able to impact patient lives and well being. I especially love Primary Care because you get to go through the stages if life with your patients and help them through them. Some of my patients are like family to me. I inherited many of my late mentor's panel of patients so some I have known for 15+ years and they knew me before I was a PA so there's a comfort level we have with each other. I have brought some people back from the brink of severe disease and cleaned up some other clinician's messes and my patients love me for it. It's not all rainbows though and you do get the "bad apples" and i am not always "Dr. House" but for the most part, I love my work. It also helps that my SP and I were friends before opening this practice together so i don't get a lot of the PA/SP crap that some PAs deal with. I see being a PA as the culmination of all my work and education in medicine going back 20+ years now.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

I wish so many more of them would give us this opportunity. While I concur with it being the most rewarding aspect of the job personally, I find that SO many reject this opportunity. I correlate it to taking your car to the mechanic and they're telling you that you have a bad fuel injector based on the diagnostics and you in turn tell them to just change the battery. You took it to them for a reason yet you aren't listening to what they're telling you.

Ventana, couldn't agree with you more. The relationships formed and appreciation of our patients really is a huge part for me. I find working together as PA/patient (sometimes patient family) team can be very rewarding not only medically but psychosocially as well.

Archived