Making the most of EPIC

I walked out of the ED this morning having written my last paper chart (supposedly); our hospital goes live with EPIC today. I know a lot of folks are using this EMR in their ED's; does anyone have any tips on creating macros, smart phrases, etc?

We've been told that setting up our own shortcuts like this will make things significantly more efficient; do any of you have any "must have" smart phrases that make your documentation life easier?

"Supportive care to include aggressive oral hydration, increase rest, and appropriate nutrition. May use acetaminophen/ibuprofen as directed for the treatment of discomfort and/or fever. Warm salt water gargles every 1-2 hours as needed for sore throat". Then I add pertinent qualifiers to personalize for pt.

EPIC is a tool like any other. It's usefulness depends on the way you use it. I use it in family practice, and they love to tell you that the "smartphrases" etc will make your life easier, and they might. Now I just dictate into my phone, and actually do the bare minimum. The neat thing about the templates is that you can import the med list, med history, etc automagically.

I have found that using the software provided dictation does not allow you to access the other screens- for example, if you wanted to review the allergies while dictating, you can't, because it seems to be locked onto the recording screen.

What I have thought about doing is dictating, then using a "dot phrase" for routine and normal exams- For example, rather than dictating my way through a whole normal neuro exam, I just .neuro it, and a normal neuro exam is listed in the dictation. This requires me to edit it when it comes in, however.

Thanks for the tips. After my first 12 hours of EPIC today I think that I will grow to like it (although it probably helped that we were stacked with extra providers). The one thing I did take away; more proof that the typing class I had to take in high school was the most useful class of my teen years! I really feel bad for the folks who were doing the two-fingered hunt and peck technique.

Archived