Sign in to follow this  
pursuitofPA

Loan Repayment for Service

I am currently finishing up my didactic portion of PA school and considering the amount of loan debt I will have, I am considering enlisting into the airforce or navy after completing PA school in 12/2020.  I was previously an Occupational Therapist though I am not sure if that will matter regarding pay etc. If anyone has advice regarding this process and details on loan repayment, I would greatly appreciate it.

@pursuitofPA

Direct commissioning into Navy after graduating PA school is difficult, in a sense, they require at least two years experience as a PA.

If you really want, to join the navy, should apply for the scholarship now. You might get atleast one year of benefits which will also guarantee your commissioning after graduation.  If you wait until after graduation, then the navy will most definitely ask for 2 year experience. Army or air force, might have different requirements. 

Hope this helps.

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By highvoltageeee2k3
      HI Folks,
      I am currently in the second year of my contract, i have a bachelors degree in engineering but thats from asia.
      I am an active duty army 68W medic currently working at an army hospital.
      Question i have is that, i was going through lots of PA schools everywhere they say that the degree should be from an university in USA.
      So is it not possible to get into any of the PA programs when i get out of military in couple of years without a bachelors  degree from america?
      What can i do to improve my chances to get into any of the PA programs?
      I checked these schools as a sample.
      University of Iowa
      University of Colorado
      To be honest i dont care about the location once i get out, but wanted to know whats the way forward ?
    • By Pwulf28
      Hey all,
      I am currently a 1st year graduate student for athletic training. I am looking into become a PA. Looking to withdraw from my program to pursue PA prerequisites but not sure if this was a good idea. Or if I should complete my program then complete prerequisites. Thanks!
    • By yongheelee1212
      Dear current and future PAs, I'm stuck in a dilemma and I was hoping to get some advice on my situation. Sorry for long post. I am a current Army Reserve pursuing my dream to become a PA and I was accepted into South College - Nashville program for the class of 2022. As an Army Reserve, there is always a chance to be activated and deployed even when I am in the middle of the program. So I explained my situation to the Dean and asked how my case is going to be handled if I were to be deployed during the program. And these are the responses I received from him: Any mobilization or recall would most likely require you to have to withdraw from the program, as we do not offer deceleration. Mobilization or recall for any extended period of time would require you to restart the program from the beginning. Policies regarding refunds of tuition or fees after withdrawal are specified in the South College Student Handbook; I referred you to the Student handbook for that information. If withdrawal is needed, you would need to reapply to Program for reentry, meeting all requirements for admission that are in place at that time; reentry in a future class is not guaranteed. You should discuss this with your Company Commander to see if there is a possible exemption from being mobilized or recalled while you are in the PA Program. Frankly, I was little surprised because, in my knowledge, federal and state law protects school from kicking out students. Is there any reason the law does not apply to PA school? Moreover, I was little insulted that he asking me to request my Company to be exempted from being mobilized and not to serve my country. I thought Dean may be unfamiliar with the military law so I even responded back with my understanding of the law, but ever since then, he has been staying silent and ignoring me. what should I do? has anybody been in same situation?
    • By winstonetwo
      I found some old post about this topic but only a few people were involved and it was from quite a few years back. I thought I'd bring it up again for more clarification for all.
      Looking for suggestions on how to/ how you enter military experience into CASPA.  What are your thoughts on dividing all of that up between medical and non-medical experience, training and schools, deployment vs. garrison, leadership roles, and awards? Did you add past certs that have since lapsed? Should it be broken down by each duty station or each title? Also, how did you quantify the number of hours and should it be one lump sum or divided up? Any thoughts would helpful.
    • By CornellSPA
      Volunteers from the AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF SURGICAL PAs, the first PA professional organization to host Pre-PA events, will be hosting an engaging and informative PRE PA COACHING SEMINAR in TAMPA FLORIDA 
      WHEN JAN 18 2020   4-9:30 PM
      WHERE: USF  CAMLS center      https://camls-us.org/
      Faculty, students, and lecturers from Cornell University, USF, Stony Brook University, Loyola Marymount,  Touro, and others  are all presenting or planning to attend.
      Opportunities for mock interviews as well as critical CASPA essay reviews available 
      You can not miss this seminar...amazing admission tips, mock interviews, essay reviews, cutting edge PA news, and networking, shadowing, and volunteer experiences! WOW!

You will:
      *meet PA leaders & admission advisors
      *learn first hand tips and tricks to become a successful PA Program applicant.
      *Understand the amazing & rapidly growing PA career field.   *Get new info on CASPA! 
      *Earn a certificate of attendance, great on a CASPA application! 

This event is hosted by AASPA and given by Surgical PAs, PA school faculty members, and admissions experts! All volunteer their time to give this seminar. 

Come and learn amazing admissions tips & tricks! Understand the process from the inside and find out why PA school has become so competitive to get into and what admission committees look for.
      CNN, Money Magazine, US Dept of Labor list the PA profession as one of the fastest growing & highest paid careers.
      AASPA is proud to be THE FIRST PA organization to offer Pre-PA seminars, which have become more and more popular. 

*Seating is limited
      *Dress is casual, but not too casual (you may meet a future PA school interviewer!!)

This amazing seminar will include:
      -Overview of the PA Profession
      -PA Profession news that all applicants need to know
      -Essentials of academic prerequisites
      -Health care/patient care prerequisites
      -How to deal with CASPA
      -PA-wanna-be essays
      -How to stand out as an applicant
      -Tips for the returning student
      -One on one and group Q & A session
      -and much more!

Registration/donation ($25):  aaspa.com
      Since AASPA is a non-profit and the faculty are volunteers, it makes a great tax-writeoff! **For groups of 5 or more, you save $15 on each registration, email ceo@aaspa.com for info!!**

QUESTIONS?? 
      aaspa@affinity-strategies.com or 
      Corrine Marconi, Executive Director     corrine@affinity-strategies.com

HOT TIPS
      *On the same day, Saturday January 18, AASPA is hosting an ultrasound workshop with SPOCUS...volunteer opportunities to be an ultrasound model ...what a way to build your CASPA application. 
      *BRING YOUR RESUME, BUSINESS CARDS, AND SAMPLE ESSAY!
      To volunteer to be a POCUS model: aaspa@affinity-strategies.com
      *Discounted hotel rates will be available for Friday and Saturday nights for those flying in and/or volunteering at the ultrasound session. AASPA.COM for info (coming soon)
      AASPA Pre-PA FLyer 2020.pdf

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More