Ways to Increase Income as Psychiatric PA-C

I'm a psychiatric physician assistant working in South Florida.

I currently have a full-time W2 job but would like to increase my income by working per diem on my off days and weekends.

However, the market here is quite saturated, and I'm struggling to find suitable opportunities.

I've been looking into substance abuse and detox centers, but many of them either prefer nurse practitioners or require a Psych CAQ.

Furthermore, the compensation for some of these positions has been disappointing, with some offering as little as $35-$50 per hour for being the only provider on-site and on-call, and with an SP coming down from another state once a month for chart review.

Does anyone have any suggestions or insights that could help me find better opportunities?

Edited by Tori08797

On 3/20/2024 at 8:27 AM, Tori08797 said:

I've been looking into substance abuse and detox centers, but many of them either prefer nurse practitioners or require a Psych CAQ.

Just curious, why don't you get a Psych CAQ? Many places will only hire base on credentials. At least here in CA. Most hire PMHNP

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PACali said:

Just curious, why don't you get a Psych CAQ? Many places will only hire base on credentials. At least here in CA. Most hire PMHNP

Agree- A specialty CAQ significantly increases your desirability as a new hire.

We don't hire anyone without the EM CAQ (or eligibility and intent to test) at this point.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1