AAPA House of Delegates resolutions

• Administrator

Those of you who follow Huddle may have noticed that there are people wanting to discuss AAPA HOD resolutions... but cannot, due to Huddle rules. The PA Forums have no such rules. You are welcome to advocate for or against, criticize, satirize, praise, etc. anything before the AAPA HOD.

Now, with that said, those with access to the proposed resolutions--which includes me and probably ~500+ other PAs--aren't allowed to post them here. Out of an abundance of respect for the HOD's rules and the difficulty of wearing two hats, I won't be participating in any discussions any of y'all want to have here.  I'm just pointing out the possibility that you can, and that independence is one of the reasons we still have a PA forum even when Huddle meets some people's needs adequately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Being unconstrained, I looked through but didn't see anything too spicy. There's the usual abortion and gender stuff. Here are a few that might be mildly interesting:

2023-A-21 Resolved The House of Delegates recommends that AAPA only select states that clearly support reproductive health rights for future AAPA National Conference locations when entering contracts

2023-B-07 Resolved  AAPA ENDORSES THE NATIONAL COMMISSION ON CERTIFICATION OF PHYSICIAN ASSISTANTS (NCCPA) CERTIFICATION EXAM AS THE ONLY ENTRANCE STANDARD FOR PAS, AND OPPOSES EXAMINATIONS GIVEN BY ANY ORGANIZATION FOR THE PURPOSE OF ESTABLISHING ENTRANCE LEVEL STANDARDS FOR INDIVIDUALS NOT ELIGIBLE FOR THE NCCPA EXAMINATION.

2023-B-26 Resolved AAPA supports the title of the Doctor of Medical Science (abbreviated as either DMS or DMSc) as the PA-specific doctoral degree.

2023-C-17 Resolved AAPA opposes restrictions and attempts to restrict the availability of and access to gender affirming healthcare.

2023-C-18 Resolved  AAPA affirms that the inclusion of transgender youth athletes on sports teams consistent 6 with their gender identity promotes overall health and well-being.

2023-C-23 Resolved AAPA recognizes Doctors of Podiatric Medicine (D.P.M.) as physicians and surgeons 7 who may collaborate with or supervise physician associates who may wish to specialize 8 in the podiatric field.

4 hours ago, Hemmingway said:

oh good.... now they are actively supporting the NCCPA.....

6 or 7 years ago they were threatening to start their own certifying org.

The rest of it? meh...

They need to DEMAND a CAQ for IM or primary care

We are getting smoked by the new grad NP's who don't know a thing yet have independence.... 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 5/10/2023 at 2:41 PM, CAAdmission said:

Being unconstrained, I looked through but didn't see anything too spicy. There's the usual abortion and gender stuff. Here are a few that might be mildly interesting:

2023-A-21 Resolved The House of Delegates recommends that AAPA only select states that clearly support reproductive health rights for future AAPA National Conference locations when entering contracts

2023-B-07 Resolved  AAPA ENDORSES THE NATIONAL COMMISSION ON CERTIFICATION OF PHYSICIAN ASSISTANTS (NCCPA) CERTIFICATION EXAM AS THE ONLY ENTRANCE STANDARD FOR PAS, AND OPPOSES EXAMINATIONS GIVEN BY ANY ORGANIZATION FOR THE PURPOSE OF ESTABLISHING ENTRANCE LEVEL STANDARDS FOR INDIVIDUALS NOT ELIGIBLE FOR THE NCCPA EXAMINATION.

2023-B-26 Resolved AAPA supports the title of the Doctor of Medical Science (abbreviated as either DMS or DMSc) as the PA-specific doctoral degree.

2023-C-17 Resolved AAPA opposes restrictions and attempts to restrict the availability of and access to gender affirming healthcare.

2023-C-18 Resolved  AAPA affirms that the inclusion of transgender youth athletes on sports teams consistent 6 with their gender identity promotes overall health and well-being.

2023-C-23 Resolved AAPA recognizes Doctors of Podiatric Medicine (D.P.M.) as physicians and surgeons 7 who may collaborate with or supervise physician associates who may wish to specialize 8 in the podiatric field.

2023-B-07 Resolved  AAPA ENDORSES THE NATIONAL COMMISSION ON CERTIFICATION OF PHYSICIAN ASSISTANTS (NCCPA) CERTIFICATION EXAM AS THE ONLY ENTRANCE STANDARD FOR PAS, AND OPPOSES EXAMINATIONS GIVEN BY ANY ORGANIZATION FOR THE PURPOSE OF ESTABLISHING ENTRANCE LEVEL STANDARDS FOR INDIVIDUALS NOT ELIGIBLE FOR THE NCCPA EXAMINATION.

does this block physicians who didn't match from working as PAs without taking the PANCE? I heard that some states allow unmatched physicians to work as PAs until they match but I have no idea the truth of it. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Farafish260 said:

2023-B-07 Resolved  AAPA ENDORSES THE NATIONAL COMMISSION ON CERTIFICATION OF PHYSICIAN ASSISTANTS (NCCPA) CERTIFICATION EXAM AS THE ONLY ENTRANCE STANDARD FOR PAS, AND OPPOSES EXAMINATIONS GIVEN BY ANY ORGANIZATION FOR THE PURPOSE OF ESTABLISHING ENTRANCE LEVEL STANDARDS FOR INDIVIDUALS NOT ELIGIBLE FOR THE NCCPA EXAMINATION.

does this block physicians who didn't match from working as PAs without taking the PANCE? I heard that some states allow unmatched physicians to work as PAs until they match but I have no idea the truth of it. 

In no state may unmatched MD or DOs work as PAs. In several states they may work as assistant physicians--a completely different thing, even if the letters are just reversed.

(and no, I'm not commenting on the resolution, just the poster's assumption)

6 hours ago, rev ronin said:

In no state may unmatched MD or DOs work as PAs. In several states they may work as assistant physicians--a completely different thing, even if the letters are just reversed.

(and no, I'm not commenting on the resolution, just the poster's assumption)

It might not be as clear cut as that. The states determine who can practice as a PA, period. The NCCPA might "certify" PAs, but if a state theoretically wants to allow a ditch-digger to practice as a PA, they can license them.

Based on some of the imbeciles that have been elected and concerns about "equity," it may not be far off. 

• Administrator
On 5/14/2023 at 3:55 PM, CAAdmission said:

It might not be as clear cut as that. The states determine who can practice as a PA, period. The NCCPA might "certify" PAs, but if a state theoretically wants to allow a ditch-digger to practice as a PA, they can license them.

In theory, sure. In reality, I know of no state where that is happening.

• Like 1

• Administrator

Just got confirmation from the chair--they're using electronic voting, but the voting itself is anonymous. The clickers are not tied to specific individuals. So, even if the tally for each vote is maintained--and I'm not sure that they will be--the votes will not be tied to an individual person, or even a state-level delegation.

10 hours ago, rev ronin said:

Just got confirmation from the chair--they're using electronic voting, but the voting itself is anonymous. The clickers are not tied to specific individuals. So, even if the tally for each vote is maintained--and I'm not sure that they will be--the votes will not be tied to an individual person, or even a state-level delegation.

so much for vote transparenecy...

• Upvote 3

• Administrator
1 hour ago, EMEDPA said:

so much for vote transparenecy...

What's interesting is that it also allowed for anonymous voting on controversial issues. The margin by which the HOD adopted uncritical gender affirmation, over and against proposed amendments cautioning appropriate protection for minors, was surprising and disappointing.

Vote accountability has been a hot issue for years and the AAPA resists it at every turn. One HOD delegate several years ago was aghast at the idea of his org and constituents actually knowing how he voted.

AAPA and it's cronies act like the technology doesn't exist.

One more reason I am long gone from AAPA.

• Like 2

• Administrator
9 hours ago, iconic said:

Is AAPA in bed with NCCPA now?

Meaning what? That they weren't before?

There was a motion to update the language about NCCPA being the sole source of PA certification testing, just as part of housekeeping. It would have been an ideal place to extract and fight over it. That didn't happen; it was adopted on the consent agenda.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Hemmingway said:

Vote accountability has been a hot issue for years and the AAPA resists it at every turn. One HOD delegate several years ago was aghast at the idea of his org and constituents actually knowing how he voted.

The HOD was verbally assured that the data would not be kept, and wasn't identifiable beyond the card which was given generically to a delegate. So Bob from Florida could have gotten the FL-delegate-4 card (cards inserted into blackberry-like machines) but these were collected and handed back out at various times to different people if there was more than one delegate from a state. As was, the technology was definitely perceived to be problematic by several of the delegates. I was an alternate, so I never voted using it.

17 hours ago, ventana said:

but I think we should demand HOD vote results are public.

Good luck. PAFT dogged them for years about vote accountability and they steadfastly refused. It is just one more problem with the HOD. Delegates have tremendous power over the future of the profession and zero accountability for how they vote.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Hemmingway said:

Good luck. PAFT dogged them for years about vote accountability and they steadfastly refused. It is just one more problem with the HOD. Delegates have tremendous power over the future of the profession and zero accountability for how they vote.

Agree- As a former president of PAFT, I proposed legislation to require vote transparency(for the first time, I believe) and was short down in flames by delegates afraid that PAs would show up at their houses with torches and pitchforks...

5 minutes ago, EMEDPA said:

Agree- As a former president of PAFT, I proposed legislation to require vote transparency(for the first time, I believe) and was short down in flames by delegates afraid that PAs would show up at their houses with torches and pitchforks...

yup...me too. Got it on the agenda twice and it got destroyed. Why? Because the same people who would have to account for their votes decide if they want to be accountable. It is a real "through the looking glass" thing.

• Like 1

I fail to understand how this is acceptable. vote transparency is the foundation of any representative democracy. Imagine if your state senator could say " I am not going to anyone how I voted on the budget bill, supreme court justice appointment, impeachment proceedings" etc. We don't know if someone is representing us well if we don't know how they represent us...should I vote for my state PA rep again? I don't know. 

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
28 minutes ago, EMEDPA said:

I fail to understand how this is acceptable. vote transparency is the foundation of any representative democracy. Imagine if your state senator could say " I am not going to anyone how I voted on the budget bill, supreme court justice appointment, impeachment proceedings" etc. We don't know if someone is representing us well if we don't know how they represent us...should I vote for my state PA rep again? I don't know. 

In theory, PA HOD delegates must be elected.

In practice, it seems pretty clear that some state chapter presidents make everyone who might possibly go to the conference alternate delegates.

• Sad 1