Name and shame: USC

https://keck.usc.edu/physician-assistant-program/courses/tuition-and-fees/

Over 200k+ in tuition costs alone! 

It is NOT worth paying over 300k (with interest and living expenses) for a PA degree. (And no nobody cares where you went to school)

And they call it a "Primary care" program. Those graduates all better be going into derm to pay that off!

Stanford PA program is not far behind

Edited by iconic
edit

The biggest problem in most schools parallels that in medicine: administrative bloat. There are a huge number of PA faculty doing great things to raise the next generation of PAs. They are overseen by an army of near useless deans, vice presidents, chancellors and petty bureaucrats who are well paid to do nothing and who generate no revenue for an institution. Accreditation agencies have mostly degenerated into cash-grabs run by morons. 

Institutions are also increasingly investing a ton of money to become a form of "edutainment." Schools no longer highlight great teaching. Go on a college tour and see what they emphasize. It will be things like a flashy student center and a fancy state of the art gym/fitness center. 

The final huge expense is remedial education. Students are now being taught things in college that they previously would have mastered in high school. Much of the curriculum in college is now centered on rote memorization instead of developing a rational intellect. Covid did not help the situation, but it was already in really bad shape. We'd have to go over to the political thread area to discuss the political indoctrination taking place in higher ed.

In short, higher ed and healthcare will collapse around the same time, for the same reasons. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, iconic said:

https://keck.usc.edu/physician-assistant-program/courses/tuition-and-fees/

Over 200k+ in tuition costs alone! 

It is NOT worth paying over 300k (with interest and living expenses) for a PA degree. (And no nobody cares where you went to school)

And they call it a "Primary care" program. Those graduates all better be going into derm to pay that off!

Stanford PA program is not far behind

If this gets you going, don't look at their dental tuition costs! 

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Know several PA'S, private undergraduate degree, private PA school, add in cost of living and tuition debt and they are 250k-300k in debt.

I definitely didn't go to school where there were palm trees. More farm country, no trees and smelled of manure with a west wind

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• Administrator

Let's see, public undergraduate, paid for prior masters' degrees and pre-PA leveling as I went, ended up with $13k PA school debt in 2012 because that was the maximum I could get in subsidized federal loans. Out of pocket for school and housing was somwhere north of $150k (Tuition was $90k) as penalty-free withdrawals from my 401k.

Being in debt sucks. Not having loan payments is SO freeing. I strongly encourage everyone to get out of any and all debt as fast and far as possible. "No, I'm not going to do that" carries a lot more weight when you can feed your family for six months if they fired you on the spot.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Administrator
7 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

I have a child at an Ivy league college getting their undergrad BS. 82k tuition/room/board per year not including books, travel, insurance, etc. Insanity. 

Sorry, is "insanity" the major, or your comment on the pricing? Wasn't quite sure.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Cideous said:

$9k for community college RN with a CEP partner = BSN.

$18k to add an NP.

FULL autonomy in what...36 states now?  (Unless it's went up)

So for $30kish you can have an NP, do just about anything with it and have little to no school debt....hmmmmmmmm.

They got that right