Corporate Greed strikes again

Not going in to the details but back onto the job market I go

Why is it that corporations think we can be bullied into doing what the doc's don't want to do, and insist that we have to do it for free?

Hoping the job market is good right now ......  maybe I will do Locums or just retire and be done with this crazy medicine field and just let it melt down....

4 hours ago, Border said:

Not going in to the details but back onto the job market I go

Why is it that corporations think we can be bullied into doing what the doc's don't want to do, and insist that we have to do it for free?

Hoping the job market is good right now ......  maybe I will do Locums or just retire and be done with this crazy medicine field and just let it melt down....

Sorry to hear that.

Maybe instead of quitting, just perform the "free labor" at such a painfully slow rate, and with such incompetence, that they decide they need a "real doc" to do it.

I can work really, really, really slow if I want to.  And if it isn't important work, I can usually figure out a way to do JUUUUUUST enough to get the idjits off my back.

I think the job market is getting a little better, but there is a huge glut of new grad NPs out there.

• Administrator
38 minutes ago, TWR said:

Rev, nothing ventured nothing gained.  You read the post that EMED posted about working for KP in a 1199 union (I believe)?  That position today is over $90 an hour.

Not disagreeing, just noting the classic union tactics have been slowdowns, stoppages, and strikes... and those are hard to do without hurting patients.  Can we accomplish the same things with litigation and binding arbitration? It would be nice.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

There's no doubt there is significant corporate greed. There are ways around this......

Move to undeserved areas, rural areas, make yourself invaluable, be really good at something that many are not, go into a field many don't like or is overlooked. Look at what @rev ronin does. Myself for example as well, residency trained in emergency medicine working and living rural. Started my own staffing agency outside of my w2 gig, i could work everyday of the month. There are ways around corporate greed, it takes hard work and sacrifice but it's doable!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, kettle said:

There's no doubt there is significant corporate greed. There are ways around this......

Move to undeserved areas, rural areas, make yourself invaluable, be really good at something that many are not, go into a field many don't like or is overlooked. Look at what @rev ronin does. Myself for example as well, residency trained in emergency medicine working and living rural. Started my own staffing agency outside of my w2 gig, i could work everyday of the month. There are ways around corporate greed, it takes hard work and sacrifice but it's doable!!!

Hell yeah, nice work 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, kettle said:

Move to undeserved areas, rural areas, make yourself invaluable, be really good at something that many are not, go into a field many don't like or is overlooked. Look at what @rev ronin does. Myself for example as well, residency trained in emergency medicine working and living rural. ....i could work everyday of the month. There are ways around corporate greed, it takes hard work and sacrifice but it's doable!!!

Agree. I do the same. The downside is a lot of driving, but it's worth it. I quit one of my per diem jobs in sept of last year. They just approached me about coming back and basically said "tell us what it would take to bring you back". The thing is, I work enough at other places and am happy with the work, so even at the $150/hr I would ask I don't think I want to work more. I could work every day of the month. I just don't want or need to. If anyone is looking for a rural, critical access solo coverage position in WA, let me know. They are staffed by FP docs at this point, so anyone with EM experience can write their own ticket. Middle of nowhere. High volume and acuity. Solo coverage. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 2/9/2023 at 12:31 PM, rev ronin said:

Not disagreeing, just noting the classic union tactics have been slowdowns, stoppages, and strikes... and those are hard to do without hurting patients.  Can we accomplish the same things with litigation and binding arbitration? It would be nice.

I know a bunch of PAs in Unions, and its great for benefits, PTO etc. 

Nurses are well known to strike, including the thousands in NY, even with the repercussions to patients (like the recent NICU death during a strike: https://www.nbcnewyork.com/investigations/parents-seek-answers-after-baby-dies-at-mount-sinai-during-nyc-nurses-strike/4078982/

The current political climate is very pro-union! Go for it!