CME Restrictions

I work for a large academic medical center in NC. This week we were told of major restrictions in use of our CME. We get $2500 and 40 hours a year per our contract. A few of my colleagues requested to go to relevant to practice conferences this upcoming year and have been denied. Higher ups want to know if there is a virtual option and even then are giving us a difficult time about utilizing CME. This has never been an issue before. Is anyone else experiencing this? $2500 isn’t much when it comes to a conference and most of us cushion our own travel expenses. I work in a department that doesn’t get RVUs or bonuses. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Its hard to unring a bell and the bean counters see a cheap alternative to paid conferences. They don't understand, or care, how much gets done outside the lectures. There is also a mental benefit to each of us who attend because we get to spend time with our colleagues live and in person.

I have seen the phenomenon in my own clinic. During COVID all the provider meetings were done virtually. They still are just because its easier. I suggested we need to spend some time in a room together just to promote the team concept and make sure we keep seeing each other as people and not just names in the computer. Nope. So people pay no attention at the meeting and continue working on the computer. One of the physician changes clothes in front of the camera because he is going to the gym as soon as the meeting is over.

BTW I get nothing for CME. We have online CMEs monthly (during scheduled clinic hours) and use UTD as a reference which gives CME so that is (supposedly) adequate.

• Sad 2

I currently have PT jobs that don't offer any CME benefits. One of my past FT jobs covered pretty much anything relevant but eventually got more restrictive, even to the point of sending out an email trying to claim hospital dues and licensing were CME. I politely asked them to explain this, and they redacated their statement. One of my other FT jobs was very restrictive like yours and said they wouldn't cover if there was a virtual option -- this was before covid. My contract included all these stipulations for CME as well including a requirement of proof of attendance and/or passing score if relevant.

4 hours ago, SedRate said:

I currently have PT jobs that don't offer any CME benefits. One of my past FT jobs covered pretty much anything relevant but eventually got more restrictive, even to the point of sending out an email trying to claim hospital dues and licensing were CME. I politely asked them to explain this, and they redacated their statement. One of my other FT jobs was very restrictive like yours and said they wouldn't cover if there was a virtual option -- this was before covid. My contract included all these stipulations for CME as well including a requirement of proof of attendance and/or passing score if relevant.

I love it when they give good CME then say that all licenses, registration, DEA and hospital dues come out of the CME fund....  What??

14 minutes ago, ventana said:

I love it when they give good CME then say that all licenses, registration, DEA and hospital dues come out of the CME fund....  What??

Yeah, no kidding. I was considering one job until I found out exactly that AND no PTO because they claimed it was built into the schedule. So I said no thanks. And they wonder why they're having difficulty recruiting anybody but new grads.

• Administrator

One more reason to start your own practice.  My DMSc tuition, plus all the CME I am interested enough in to go to, is coming out of clinic revenue.

I think negotiating with myself for PTO is going to be a losing battle, though.  Just cancelled or rescheduled ~$750 of revenue to take a half day off sick.

1 hour ago, rev ronin said:

One more reason to start your own practice.  My DMSc tuition, plus all the CME I am interested enough in to go to, is coming out of clinic revenue.

I think negotiating with myself for PTO is going to be a losing battle, though.  Just cancelled or rescheduled ~$750 of revenue to take a half day off sick.

Haha, that's funny. Sadly, part of the downside working for yourself. 

I started my own business a couple years ago but wasn't ready to commit to losing my clinical skills just yet nor did I want to rely on surgeons for work. (Some of them ended up hiring their own PAs so I'm glad I didn't quit my day job.) 

Maybe if I was smart enough or committed enough I'd start a clinic like yours. But I'm more interested in just getting to a point where work is optional and I can't exactly do that when developing and running my own practice. 

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
1 minute ago, SedRate said:

Maybe if I was smart enough or committed enough I'd start a clinic like yours. But I'm more interested in just getting to a point where work is optional and I can't exactly do that when developing and running my own practice. 

The trick is simple but hard: Find a niche that 1) Pays, 2) everyone else hates, and 3) you love.

I'm on the potential rotation list for at least two PA programs, maybe three. No student has yet asked to rotate in occupational medicine--it's just not perceived as a prestige specialty.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/3/2023 at 8:34 AM, egw9457 said:

I work for a large academic medical center in NC. This week we were told of major restrictions in use of our CME. We get $2500 and 40 hours a year per our contract. A few of my colleagues requested to go to relevant to practice conferences this upcoming year and have been denied. Higher ups want to know if there is a virtual option and even then are giving us a difficult time about utilizing CME. This has never been an issue before. Is anyone else experiencing this? $2500 isn’t much when it comes to a conference and most of us cushion our own travel expenses. I work in a department that doesn’t get RVUs or bonuses. 

Maybe they need a friendly reminder that conferences (AAPA, SEMPA, etc) are all in-person.