What do you put on you rwhite coat?

Hey guys-

New grad, just found out I got the "-C" this morning (amen) and I was wondering what most of you have embroydered on you white coats. I got a master's so I have the possibility of putting that in front of my PA-C, just not sure if I want to or not. So, what do you like/what do you do and does it have an impact on patients, colleagues, or neither?

A: Ron Burgundy, PA-C

B: Ron Burgundy, MPAS, PA-C

Do you throw a middle initial in there too?? This is some serious business we're talking about here....my head is spinning. Not really though, maybe it's the scotch.

Thanks!

Emedpa, PA-C, EMT-P

I don't list my MS as most pa's today have one.

when I finish my doctorate I will drop the emt-p and have:

Emedpa, PA, DHSc

my personal preference is clinical title, highest degree not the other way around. you never see docs with john doe, mph, md

Usually its something permanent then something that can be taken away/given up. So technically it should be degree highest to lowest then any certification followed by awards So john doe MD, MPH, FCCM for example. MD and PhD are on the same level so its usually MD, PhD. For a PA its usually MPAS, PA-C. If you have a doctorate and a masters if they are in different fields you can put them for example John Doe PhD, MBA, PA-C. At some point though it just gets obnoxious and you start looking like a nurse John Doe, MSN, BSN, RN, CEN, ACLS, PALS etc.

Hey guys-

New grad, just found out I got the "-C" this morning (amen) and I was wondering what most of you have embroydered on you white coats. I got a master's so I have the possibility of putting that in front of my PA-C, just not sure if I want to or not. So, what do you like/what do you do and does it have an impact on patients, colleagues, or neither?

A: Ron Burgundy, PA-C

B: Ron Burgundy, MPAS, PA-C

Do you throw a middle initial in there too?? This is some serious business we're talking about here....my head is spinning. Not really though, maybe it's the scotch.

Thanks!

E-I-E-I-O, LSMFT , In a gadda da vida,AEIOU

What if you have done a residency, let's say EM, and take a CAQ? Would you put "Mike Hawk, PA-C, EM-C"? Something different do it doesn't look like "board certified", or just leave it off all together?

THAT GOES ON THE CV, NOT THE LAB COAT.

IF I DID A RESIDENCY IN EM(And the caq) I WOULD HAVE "RESIDENCY TRAINED/BOARD CERTIFIED EMERGENCY MEDICINE P.A." ON MY CV.

(sorry about the caps..that's what happens when you type with 2 fingers and look at the keyboard)

you can do this:

john doe, pa-c, ms

emergency medicine

When I started my residency, I had no idea what to put on my white coat- I went with the "MPAS, PA-C" designation. When I noticed that absolutely no other PA in the hospital had their masters degree on their coat, I felt like I was being some kind of elitist. So when I finished the residency and got a new set of coats, I just went with the PA-C.

No matter....I only wear it to get free coffee at one of the hospitals we cover.

All of Mine say:

Joelseff, PA-C

Physician Assistant

I am waiting to get my masters and AAHIVS designation then get:

Joelseff, MSPAS, PA-C, AAHIVS

HIV and Family Medicine

.....now I look at it, that's an alphabet soup Haha maybe stick with:

Joelseff, PA-C

HIV and Family Medicine

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

That sucks.

Not really. Most of our patients comment on how much they appreciate that, as they think it represents a professional appearance. It takes a little getting used to, but it is considered a "Gentlemen's Clinic" here. If you do, god forbid, wear scrubs or a white coat onto the clinic floors, you had better only be there for a few moments retrieving something. A lot of patients don't really like their physicians/providers wearing polo shirts and slacks at their visits. As one patient told me recently..."It's like they can't wait to get to the godd*mned golf course"......when he was complaining about his PCP.

Personally, I cannot stand when I see physicians/PAs at meetings in t shirts and jeans shorts.... The AAPA can be one of the worst......Tank Tops.....cut off jeans shorts......so unprofessional that I want to scream...at least wear a collared shirt and some nice slacks. I dunno...maybe that makes me a pompous ***. I tend to always wear suits at meetings.....usually without a tie unless I am speaking. Got to relax ya know.

Not really. Most of our patients comment on how much they appreciate that, as they think it represents a professional appearance. It takes a little getting used to, but it is considered a "Gentlemen's Clinic" here. If you do, god forbid, wear scrubs or a white coat onto the clinic floors, you had better only be there for a few moments retrieving something. A lot of patients don't really like their physicians/providers wearing polo shirts and slacks at their visits. As one patient told me recently..."It's like they can't wait to get to the godd*mned golf course"......when he was complaining about his PCP.

Personally, I cannot stand when I see physicians/PAs at meetings in t shirts and jeans shorts.... The AAPA can be one of the worst......Tank Tops.....cut off jeans shorts......so unprofessional that I want to scream...at least wear a collared shirt and some nice slacks. I dunno...maybe that makes me a pompous ***. I tend to always wear suits at meetings.....usually without a tie unless I am speaking. Got to relax ya know.

So you're the guy I saw in the dark suit when it was approaching 100 degrees outside in Las Vegas and yes I was in the T-shirt and jeans listening and learning while not trying to impress or influence anyone. My bush Alaska patients could care less about my boots and work shirt cargo pants outfits and when I see pts in CT(sadly) I favor Hawaiian shirts and Dockers and loafers NO WHITE COATS in either setting!

When I started my residency, I had no idea what to put on my white coat- I went with the "MPAS, PA-C" designation. When I noticed that absolutely no other PA in the hospital had their masters degree on their coat, I felt like I was being some kind of elitist. So when I finished the residency and got a new set of coats, I just went with the PA-C.

No matter....I only wear it to get free coffee at one of the hospitals we cover.

I tend to put coffee on my white coat. It comes out with bleach.

“Gentlemen’s Clinic”.....no women.....I am betting white men at Mayo. Actually, it’s very convenient to have a uniform, as long as you are one of the ones that can wear the uniform.

No, that was the name long ago. Women wear business attire too. We have a ton of female consultants and providers. Business attire is considered the standard dress code in the clinic.

While I'm typically the best best dressed male in the zipcode during the fall and winter months, I do it for ME. I pick my daily attire based upon the weather, how late I slept in and how I feel. I DO NOT wear shorts and tank tops to work and would likely only wear them to a conference being held on a cruise ship or sandy beach.

That said... its my personal choice. We providers don't get to pick a patient's clothing/attire... and they shouldn't be able to pick/dictate ours.

The same applies for conferences.

Most of us are there to mingle and learn... so what we wear is really irrelevent. The notion that because we are in a room full of other PAs, sitting for hrs being assaulted by powerpoint slides, we should wear "collared shirts and slacks" is silliness.

Also, the notion that wearing a suit, or a tie, or slacks define professionalism is misguided as evidenced by these guys:

once_upon_5.jpg

051012-gangster-squad.jpg

Nameless Gangster 03 thumb.jpg

What_s_in_a_name_-_The_Problem_with_the__Nation_of_Islam__(part_1_of_2)_001.jpg

Clothes don't "make" professionalism.

LOTS of "professional" folks where scrubs, jeans, khakis, etc. to conferences because they are there to possibly LEARN something, which usually has nothing to do with presupposed fashion choices. They provide platinum care for/to their patients and it has NOTHING to do with their attire.

Personally, I NEVER take or wear traditional suits to conferences and try to avoid taking anything that will require ironing or special handling. For the most part, I usually takea few 2 piece "walking suits:

pic04n.jpg

pic90.jpg

pic89.jpg

Now if YOU want dictate my clothing choice and decide that I should be wearing something that I may feel is uncomfortable for me while at a conference...???

Sure.... but be sure to pay the $3000 (registration, airport parking, flight, hotel, rental car, meals, entertainment) for me to attend... and if I show up, I'll follow your attire suggestions.

Otherwise, its really presumptuous ... pretentious ... AND pompous to ASSume that you are the arbiter of what is considered "professional."

Archived