What do you put on you rwhite coat?

Not really. Most of our patients comment on how much they appreciate that, as they think it represents a professional appearance. It takes a little getting used to, but it is considered a "Gentlemen's Clinic" here. If you do, god forbid, wear scrubs or a white coat onto the clinic floors, you had better only be there for a few moments retrieving something. A lot of patients don't really like their physicians/providers wearing polo shirts and slacks at their visits. As one patient told me recently..."It's like they can't wait to get to the godd*mned golf course"......when he was complaining about his PCP.

Personally, I cannot stand when I see physicians/PAs at meetings in t shirts and jeans shorts.... The AAPA can be one of the worst......Tank Tops.....cut off jeans shorts......so unprofessional that I want to scream...at least wear a collared shirt and some nice slacks. I dunno...maybe that makes me a pompous ***. I tend to always wear suits at meetings.....usually without a tie unless I am speaking. Got to relax ya know.

Agree, it's sort of simple really. Class shouldn't have to be taught in all ways... You're born with the instict and bred that way. You teach your kids it' not ok to wear certain things to school. No one wants to look at baggy pants/gangsta style walking down the street. You attend a ritzy fundraiser you KNOW everyone will be dressed a certain way even if it isn't specifically requested. Same is to be said at conferences. I'm a professional and will dress like one when surrounded by my peers....

I work in a down and dirty ED. Ain't no gentlemens club here. Puke and poop and pi$$ and protoplasmic soup pretty much preclude the coat and tie approach. Some EDs have a VIP section (carpets, wall papers, prints, couches) for those patients who are really there for testing or evaluation before admission, and in those areas I guess i can get away with coat and tie. But as I am a trencher and usually the one getting his hands dirty, clean, comfortable loose fitting cloths or scrubs are te only way to go. Starched white coat for family conferences ( telling family dad is dead, sister is in coma, child needs surgery) only. Otherwise, come in natty with an esquire appearance in my ED, guaranteed you will leave with scrubs on when your business clothes become soiled.

In my ED if you are wearing a jacket and tie, you are an administrator. In other teaching EDs, you are either an administrator or attending ( who never gets hands dirty as the residents ad PAs are there for that).

As far as what to put on coat.. I would suggest RC DAVIS, PA. Of course, you may want to opt for your own name.. But mine has worked pretty well for me.

davis

While I'm typically the best best dressed male in the zipcode during the fall and winter months, s.

I used to refer to being natty as "getting esquired". From now on, it is " I am going Contrarian".

( and, just to nip it in the bud, I want no " once you go contrarian, you'll never go back" comments)

I used to refer to being natty as "getting esquired". From now on, it is " I am going Contrarian".

( and, just to nip it in the bud, I want no " once you go contrarian, you'll never go back" comments)

HA...ha... :wink:

Yeah RC...

I grew up poor looking at GQ magazines during a time when REAL GROWN MEN still wore hats and hard sole shoes daily.

I like my suits and ties as well as the next guy... and when became able, turned my walk in closet into a Mens Haberdashery and during the winter months usually have weeks where I wear consecutive, traditional 2-3-4 piece suits to work.

So yeah... I like the suits, I don't like the idea of someone suggestiong that its unprofessional NOT to wear them.

I like the yellow suit. Kind of reminds me of the 70's and the polyester suits. Remember?

While I'm typically the best best dressed male in the zipcode during the fall and winter months, I do it for ME. I pick my daily attire based upon the weather, how late I slept in and how I feel. I DO NOT wear shorts and tank tops to work and would likely only wear them to a conference being held on a cruise ship or sandy beach.

That said... its my personal choice. We providers don't get to pick a patient's clothing/attire... and they shouldn't be able to pick/dictate ours.

The same applies for conferences.

Most of us are there to mingle and learn... so what we wear is really irrelevent. The notion that because we are in a room full of other PAs, sitting for hrs being assaulted by powerpoint slides, we should wear "collared shirts and slacks" is silliness.

Also, the notion that wearing a suit, or a tie, or slacks define professionalism is misguided as evidenced by these guys:

once_upon_5.jpg

051012-gangster-squad.jpg

Nameless Gangster 03 thumb.jpg

What_s_in_a_name_-_The_Problem_with_the__Nation_of_Islam__(part_1_of_2)_001.jpg

Clothes don't "make" professionalism.

LOTS of "professional" folks where scrubs, jeans, khakis, etc. to conferences because they are there to possibly LEARN something, which usually has nothing to do with presupposed fashion choices. They provide platinum care for/to their patients and it has NOTHING to do with their attire.

Personally, I NEVER take or wear traditional suits to conferences and try to avoid taking anything that will require ironing or special handling. For the most part, I usually takea few 2 piece "walking suits:

pic04n.jpg

pic90.jpg

pic89.jpg

Now if YOU want dictate my clothing choice and decide that I should be wearing something that I may feel is uncomfortable for me while at a conference...???

Sure.... but be sure to pay the $3000 (registration, airport parking, flight, hotel, rental car, meals, entertainment) for me to attend... and if I show up, I'll follow your attire suggestions.

Otherwise, its really presumptuous ... pretentious ... AND pompous to ASSume that you are the arbiter of what is considered "professional."

The question isn't dressing "GQ" or a suit really... If one is dressing GQ then this is a non-issue. The original point critcizes T-shirts, jean-shorts and the like.

There are dress codes everywhere... In school from the youngest ages, in hospitals you can't wear whatever you want. In court you have to present accordingly or you will be found in contempt...7-11; noshoes/no shirt/no service......the lists go on and on. So the MAJORITY of society is at least in line with what is, and is not appropriate. Thus NO MATTER what YOU (anyone) thinks is appropriate doesn't mean it is acceptable. Heck, it's exactly the same as wearing deodorant; my body odor may not offend me but it may offend the person I'm sitting next to. It's a very simple concept.

We are not patients. We are providers. We are held to a different standard and everyone knows this. We all have snickered at the smelly, tank-top wearing hillbilly patient. And we all (especially PA-practice owners) have the right to send someone packing without service (The ER not-wthstanding) when they show up requesting service. Comparing standards for patients and providers in the same sentence is ludacris. Patients can wear whatever they want.

The question isn't dressing "GQ" or a suit really... If one is dressing GQ then this is a non-issue. The original point critcizes T-shirts, jean-shorts and the like.

There are dress codes everywhere... In school from the youngest ages, in hospitals you can't wear whatever you want. In court you have to present accordingly or you will be found in contempt...7-11; noshoes/no shirt/no service......the lists go on and on. So the MAJORITY of society is at least in line with what is, and is not appropriate. Thus NO MATTER what YOU (anyone) thinks is appropriate doesn't mean it is acceptable. Heck, it's exactly the same as wearing deodorant; my body odor may not offend me but it may offend the person I'm sitting next to. It's a very simple concept.

We are not patients. We are providers. We are held to a different standard and everyone knows this. We all have snickered at the smelly, tank-top wearing hillbilly patient. And we all (especially PA-practice owners) have the right to send someone packing without service (The ER not-wthstanding) when they show up requesting service. Comparing standards for patients and providers in the same sentence is ludacris. Patients can wear whatever they want.

Says you. I have never seen a dress code posted at any conference that I was attending. My Alaska fishermen patients and processors reeking of fish odors don't get "snickered at" in my clinic. I and many others wear clean comfortable clothing appropriate for OUR circumstance, and don't expect or demand anyone else dress to suit OUR desires or standards. What's next no beards, cut your hair "High & Tight", no bright nail polish, no hair touching the collar and single stud earings for females only? LIGHTEN UP FRANCIS!

LOVE the Stripe quote. Aww :( are your civil rights being violated? :) Different strokes I guess... Different standards here... You can dress how you'd like. you just won't be employed/utilized easily in this part of the country :)

Thanks for your permission and blessing to do as I please! After 25+ years of practice ranging from Ivy League Medical Center's ER, Internal Medicine, Orthopedics, Surgery services to single room clinics out in the Aleutians.........I've proven my worth regardless of my lack of sartorial splendor in your and others opinions. Get back to me when you've walked in my practice footsteps. ;-)

Thanks for your permission and blessing to do as I please! After 25+ years of practice ranging from Ivy League Medical Center's ER, Internal Medicine, Orthopedics, Surgery services to single room clinics out in the Aleutians.........I've proven my worth regardless of my lack of sartorial splendor in your and others opinions. Get back to me when you've walked in my practice footsteps. ;-)

Appeciate your service.

Never questioned your worth.

Not going to get into a tit-for-tat regarding clinical skills. Suffice it to say I've been atthe same old Internal Medicine job for 13 year and have been fortunate and blessed to not need/want or otherwise look to widen my horizons. I'll just retire now least I not fit into your footsteps LOL..

Standards and dress codes exist regardless and independent of how qualified, arrogant or self-assured someone is. debate it all you want.

Again, I certainly hope you all aren't defending Tank-tops, shorts and filp flops b/c "hey I'm gonna do what's comfortable"... I support GQ, suits, polo knits whatever, just look respectable that's all...Try not to go overboard with your fight for independence.....jesus isn't "Associate" enough?

We are not patients. We are providers. We are held to a different standard and everyone knows this. We all have snickered at the smelly, tank-top wearing hillbilly patient.

well, maybe YOU have, but not everyone has. But each person has the freedom to choose to be judgmental or not.

If a conference has a dress code, you follow it or don't attend; it seems simple. That's THEIR rules.

Whether someone tries to determine how PROFESSIONAL you are based on your clothing....well..."that's their bag, baby"....

I own ONE suit and wear it weddings and court appearances (Contrarian can corroborate this!).....

I wear jeans to conferences because I am there to learn and be comfortable.

If I appear less professional then those prejudicial "PA colleagues" who deem that need to attend a sociology refresher course.

well, maybe YOU have, but not everyone has. But each person has the freedom to choose to be judgmental or not.

If a conference has a dress code, you follow it or don't attend; it seems simple. That's THEIR rules.

Whether someone tries to determine how PROFESSIONAL you are based on your clothing....well..."that's their bag, baby"....

I own ONE suit and wear it weddings and court appearances (Contrarian can corroborate this!).....

I wear jeans to conferences because I am there to learn and be comfortable.

If I appear less professional then those prejudicial "PA colleagues" who deem that need to attend a sociology refresher course.

Personally, I cannot stand when I see physicians/PAs at meetings in t shirts and jeans shorts.... The AAPA can be one of the worst......Tank Tops.....cut off jeans shorts......so unprofessional that I want to scream...at least wear a collared shirt and some nice slacks......

I have snickered. And will continue to as long as people fail to use common sense and respect.

So why do you wear a suit? I have never gotten a wedding invitation stating men are to wear suits... Are you MAYBE saying there is an understood standard?

I Never said jeans aren't acceptable. We are getting away from the point made above. We are not "PA Colleagues"..... We are PA Colleagues (un-quote) whether we agree or not. We are all PA-C. Equality is a beautiful thing.

Acutally not geting away from it at all...

The point was that anyone who wears anything other than "Collared Shirts and Nice Slacks" is unprofessional.

Re-Read what YOU quoted. That poster even went so far as to suggest that anything less than a sunday go to church suit in the clinic is unprofessional. Even further he listed scrubs as unprofessional.

The push back is coming from the implication that any one person is or can be the arbiter of what's professional dress for any profession.

Hopefully we have ALL seen and interacted with lots of true, competent professional providers, nurses, clinicians, etc.... that wore scrubs and non assuming attire daily or didn't wear suits every day. I know that I have.

As I've said plenty times... "I wear the clothes, the clothes don't wear me."

P.s.. yes I've seen that one suit, and its spendid.

Acutally not geting away from it at all...

The point was that anyone who wears anything other than "Collared Shirts and Nice Slacks" is unprofessional.

Re-Read what YOU quoted. That poster even went so far as to suggest that anything less than a sunday go to church suit in the clinic is unprofessional. Even further he listed scrubs as unprofessional.

The push back is coming from the implication that any one person is or can be the arbiter of what's professional dress for any profession.

Hopefully we have ALL seen and interacted with lots of true, competent professional providers, nurses, clinicians, etc.... that wore scrubs and non assuming attire daily or didn't wear suits every day. I know that I have.

As I've said plenty times... "I wear the clothes, the clothes don't wear me."

P.s.. yes I've seen that one suit, and its spendid.

Not really. Most of our patients comment on how much they appreciate that, as they think it represents a professional appearance. It takes a little getting used to, but it is considered a "Gentlemen's Clinic" here. If you do, god forbid, wear scrubs or a white coat onto the clinic floors, you had better only be there for a few moments retrieving something. A lot of patients don't really like their physicians/providers wearing polo shirts and slacks at their visits. As one patient told me recently..."It's like they can't wait to get to the godd*mned golf course"......when he was complaining about his PCP.

Personally, I cannot stand when I see physicians/PAs at meetings in t shirts and jeans shorts.... The AAPA can be one of the worst......Tank Tops.....cut off jeans shorts......so unprofessional that I want to scream...at least wear a collared shirt and some nice slacks. I dunno...maybe that makes me a pompous ***. I tend to always wear suits at meetings.....usually without a tie unless I am speaking. Got to relax ya know..

So interpreting word for word from the original post, Physasst refers to but does not directly condone the dress code in his specific work environment. Nor does he criticize others from not wearing a suit ONLY at conferences....

Contrarian.... I'm AGREEING with your choice of dress. Personally at work I wean ironed scrubs and a lab coat, alternating with a dress shirt/slacks...I too enjoy dressing comfortably and professionally

Lipper... I get that.

Again... its the notion of dictating dress for people he doesn't know or work with and making ASSumptions about their professionalism that is putting people off.

I understand. But I agree that post, that it shouldn't be an acceptable standard to wear cut-offs and a tank top to professional lectures regardless of venue or social plan.

I understand. But I agree that post, that it shouldn't be an acceptable standard to wear cut-offs and a tank top to professional lectures regardless of venue or social plan.

This ^^^^^^

I was speaking of national conferences...The AAPA to be specific. I attend between 6 and 10 meetings a year. I am usually at a couple of PA meetings, a couple of research conferences, a couple of policy conference, and a few of the national physician specialty conference meetings too....AAOS, etc. I was always struck by how the physicians generally dressed professionally, not meaning a suit, but usually a collared shirt and a nice pair of slacks with some nice shoes. There were outliers sure, but they were uncommon. And then I see what I see at the AAPA and it saddens me. The ratios seem reversed.....That's MY opinion. You don't have to share it.

As far as I am concerned, when I am at the meeting, it is professional time. It is not vacation, it is not slacking off time. It is the same as being at work. Many of our colleagues do not see that association and it bothers me. Am I judgmental...yep, and so are all of you......(by the very fact that you are judging MY opinion on what you might or might not wear and caring enough about it to comment).

As far as wearing a suit at work....well, that's the dress code at my institution. Scrubs are perfectly okay in the OR, Procedure Suites, Hospital Floors, and the ED. They are not acceptable in the clinic. I didn't make those rules. Lab coats are generally only worn OVER your scrubs. They are virtually non existent in the clinic.

I dress comfortably but not slovenly at conferences. typically button down shirt and Khakis. I hate ties. I will occasionally do the nice jacket over thin silk sweater miami vice look.

I'm not a fan of folks wearing cut offs and bikini tops to lectures, but hey, it's their money. I guess folks can wear whatever they want. I think of conferences as places where I might potentially meet someone from my next job so I try to look reasonable. similar stuff to what I would wear to church on sunday, etc

Archived