NHSC Scholarship 2022-2023

6 hours ago, mylocopinocci said:

Anyone know how accurate is the Health Workforce Connector website?

Ive been trying to opportunities in the north jersey area and see a few sites but 0 opportunities as of right now. I know these numbers change from year to year but to see 0 opportunities right now is a little unsettling. 

How else are you guys looking for NHSC opportunities?

I was also worried about this… I searched “physician assistant” on the workforce connector, and there are only 445 open positions in the entire country. A lot of these are actually physician openings (I wish there was a better way to search for PAs other than a key word search), and it seems like half of the positions are in correctional facilities. I’m worried about finding a job in family med with so few options on the connector. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mylocopinocci said:

Anyone know how accurate is the Health Workforce Connector website?

Ive been trying to opportunities in the north jersey area and see a few sites but 0 opportunities as of right now. I know these numbers change from year to year but to see 0 opportunities right now is a little unsettling. 

How else are you guys looking for NHSC opportunities?

Yea the Workforce site is not up to date on all available positions. But you should use the website to look for NHSC approved sites in an area you want to work. Then you can go to those specific companies websites and look for openings there. I have found lots of openings on companies websites that were not on the Health Workforce Connector website.

17 hours ago, Bailey99 said:

I received my countersignature on 9/2 and haven't received an email yet. It's starting to stress me out, wondering if countersignature definitely means scholarship or not... 

Yes, I am in the same boat! It seems like some of the dental and medical students on another student forum are too. Hopefully we will hear something soon! I am def very anxious too.

8 minutes ago, rayrachel53 said:

Same here! Just logged into my portal and got the congrats page! Thank God! I was getting worried haha!

Same! Guess they just wanted to keep our anticipation high. I got the email saying I had a message in my portal after I had already logged in and seen it because I had been obsessively checking. 

• Like 1

Hi everyone, congrats to everyone that received their counter signatures! I was just curious if anyone knew if the summer EVF effects your service commitment. My program began in early/mid June and funding for each year technically begins 7/1. They seem super specific with dates and I just want to make sure that by filling out that form I’m not agreeing to a 3 year service commitment rather than the 2 years I’m anticipating. Thank you in advance for your help!!

On 9/12/2022 at 10:09 AM, WHorne said:

Yes, I still have not, but I also had a problem with my W4 form and had to resubmit it not too long ago

Hey! Did they email you to ask you to resubmit the W4? I realized after I submitted it that I accidentally uploaded a blank copy, I haven't heard from them to resubmit it though and I am getting anxious.

1 hour ago, futurepastudent111 said:

Hey! Did they email you to ask you to resubmit the W4? I realized after I submitted it that I accidentally uploaded a blank copy, I haven't heard from them to resubmit it though and I am getting anxious.

They did send me an email a few weeks ago about mine because it was blank on their end but filled out on mine. Apparently it was a problem that happened with a lot of people and the W4 form they sent out. 

23 hours ago, futurepastudent111 said:

When I click on my submitted W4 it is blank on my side of things. I called and they looked into it and said it might show up blank as a placeholder on our side but they can usually see it fine on their side (like mine for example). She said if there is any issue that they will contact us directly!

Also a first round finalist still waiting on my signature. I know some first rounds got signatures today. A second round finalist I know received their countersignature before any of the first round finalists I know. I am starting to think this is all just very random which makes it more stressful!

13 hours ago, ashcap said:
Hi there,
I just received word that I was awarded with the scholarship (yay!). I'm a first year student and my loans already disbursed...what do I do? Just curious to hear the details of the return process and how it worked/will work with your program.

Don't necessarily have the exact answer to your question, since I'm still waiting to hear back if I got it - but did they just notify you for the first time that you're a finalist & got it, or you had heard about finalist before and just now got your countersignature?

17 minutes ago, Chispa said:

Don't necessarily have the exact answer to your question, since I'm still waiting to hear back if I got it - but did they just notify you for the first time that you're a finalist & got it, or you had heard about finalist before and just now got your countersignature?

I was just wondering the logistics. I'll get ahold of financial aid today and get back, if you're interested (if you have already matriculated). I have already gotten my loan disbursement (because I started classes before NHSC approved)--so I just didn't know if I return that or what. 

As far as the details, the only notification that I got was an email (last week) that I received a new message from the Bureau of Health Workforce (BHW) and a link to follow to see the message. It was addressed from hrsa.gov. It stated that I was awarded with the scholarship and had essentially gave detailed information about my contract. 

I found out I was a finalist when I logged into the NHSC website and it literally stated that I was a finalist--I did not receive any notification. When I logged in, the portal was changed from 'applicant' to 'participant'. 

3 minutes ago, ashcap said:

I was just wondering the logistics. I'll get ahold of financial aid today and get back, if you're interested (if you have already matriculated). I have already gotten my loan disbursement (because I started classes before NHSC approved)--so I just didn't know if I return that or what. 

As far as the details, the only notification that I got was an email (last week) that I received a new message from the Bureau of Health Workforce (BHW) and a link to follow to see the message. It was addressed from hrsa.gov. It stated that I was awarded with the scholarship and had essentially gave detailed information about my contract. 

I found out I was a finalist when I logged into the NHSC website and it literally stated that I was a finalist--I did not receive any notification. When I logged in, the portal was changed from 'applicant' to 'participant'. 

Yes, please let me know what you find out! I'm in my third semester of didactic currently. 🙂

So you hadn't been notified you were a finalist already before last week? That's good to know. Hopefully there's still a chance they're sending out more! I haven't heard anything since I submitted my app at all 😕

5 hours ago, ashcap said:

- Contract is countersigned, get notification that you officially got award.

- Let school know (at my school, people who take care of outside scholarships is the Bursar office, not Fin Aid)

- Bursar office will bill NHSC for future semesters and past semesters ( I started in summer, so they will bill NHSC for Summer and fall semesters. Once they recieve money from NHSC for tuition/fees, student loans used to cover those will be sent back to source and disappear from account)

- Bursar office will also fill out a form for Other Reasonable Costs (money they think you need for extra things like books, supplies) and send it to NHSC.

- First week of November NHSC will send you a lump sum of living stipend for July-Oct as well as one time payment for other reasonable costs. Then they will continue sending you a stipend monthly.

- School will continue to bill NHSC every quarter or semester. Student loans taken out for living expenses will not change and you'll still get quarterly/semester disbursements unless you go to fin aid and tell them you want to lower it, no longer want it.

This is my understanding of what should happen.

Edited by Sweet
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Sweet said:

- Contract is countersigned, get notification that you officially got award.

- Let school know (at my school, people who take care of outside scholarships is the Bursar office, not Fin Aid)

- Bursar office will bill NHSC for future semesters and past semesters ( I started in summer, so they will bill NHSC for Summer and fall semesters. Once they recieve money from NHSC for tuition/fees, student loans used to cover those will be sent back to source and disappear from account)

- Bursar office will also fill out a form for Other Reasonable Costs (money they think you need for extra things like books, supplies) and send it to NHSC.

- First week of November NHSC will send you a lump sum of living stipend for July-Oct as well as one time payment for other reasonable costs. Then they will continue sending you a stipend monthly.

- School will continue to bill NHSC every quarter or semester. Student loans taken out for living expenses will not change and you'll still get quarterly/semester disbursements unless you go to fin aid and tell them you want to lower it, no longer want it.

This is my understanding of what should happen.

Thank you!

8 hours ago, Chispa said:

Yes, please let me know what you find out! I'm in my third semester of didactic currently. 🙂

So you hadn't been notified you were a finalist already before last week? That's good to know. Hopefully there's still a chance they're sending out more! I haven't heard anything since I submitted my app at all 😕

Yep! I didn't even think I was up for it since people were hearing back weeks ago. I'm sure you'll hear something soon!  Sorry, let me back up: I found out i was a finalist 3 weeks ago by logging and the status was changed to finalist. Then, I needed to upload two more documents (agreeing to the contract and another a school official had to sign) and heard nothing until last week on Thursday or Friday, got the email indicating I had an unread message. 

As far as payment and everything--financial aid at my program told me to just hang tight and they will receive the funds from the scholarship. 🥲