NHSC Scholarship 2022-2023

I got countersigned yesterday and my program already refunded me from summer and this fall's tuition! (even though I did not get sent a summer EVF form). Does anyone know how we go about requesting extra funds for laptop/books/other required things for our programs? I thought the office that refunded my tuition would know, but they did not.

9 minutes ago, brabbeygirl18 said:

I got countersigned yesterday and my program already refunded me from summer and this fall's tuition! (even though I did not get sent a summer EVF form). Does anyone know how we go about requesting extra funds for laptop/books/other required things for our programs? I thought the office that refunded my tuition would know, but they did not.

Did you get anything from NHSC as far as next steps yet, or did you have to do anything on your end to notify them that you got the scholarship?

24 minutes ago, eventuallyPA said:

are yall sending that document to your financial aid department? It doesn't specify where to send it to but considering I went through them to get the loans out they would be the ones to fill it out I'd imagine

I sent mine to financial aid and the bursars office just to cover my tracks!

• Like 1

If anyone doesn't mind sharing - did any of you who are finalists have GPAs less than 3.4 if you are already in PA school?

I'm wondering if my first semester of PA school this spring where I had a mix of As and Bs and ended up with a 3.33 GPA is part of why I haven't heard anything back so far. In undergrad I graduated with a 3.8, and had a 3.9 average for all my post-grad pre-requisite courses in the 2 years before starting PA school, so it's not that I have a bad academic history. This is the lowest GPA I've ever had, but I had some tough life stuff happen that first semester of school (right as we were applying) that resulted in a lower-than-average-for-me GPA. On the positive, my 2nd semester of PA school that I just finished was straight As for me, and now my cumulative GPA is up to 3.71, not that that helps me retroactively with the NHSC app.

Trying to not be discouraged and focus on the fact that my 3.33 GPA from 1st semester of PA school might be why I don't get this scholarship, which would be lifechanging for me as a non-traditional student coming back to school after being in the workforce almost 10 years.

If anyone has any insight to share, I'd appreciate it! I know it's not over yet, but it sure feels like it.

11 minutes ago, Chispa said:

If anyone doesn't mind sharing - did any of you who are finalists have GPAs less than 3.4 if you are already in PA school?

I'm wondering if my first semester of PA school this spring where I had a mix of As and Bs and ended up with a 3.33 GPA is part of why I haven't heard anything back so far. In undergrad I graduated with a 3.8, and had a 3.9 average for all my post-grad pre-requisite courses in the 2 years before starting PA school, so it's not that I have a bad academic history. This is the lowest GPA I've ever had, but I had some tough life stuff happen that first semester of school (right as we were applying) that resulted in a lower-than-average-for-me GPA. On the positive, my 2nd semester of PA school that I just finished was straight As for me, and now my cumulative GPA is up to 3.71, not that that helps me retroactively with the NHSC app.

Trying to not be discouraged and focus on the fact that my 3.33 GPA from 1st semester of PA school might be why I don't get this scholarship, which would be lifechanging for me as a non-traditional student coming back to school after being in the workforce almost 10 years.

If anyone has any insight to share, I'd appreciate it! I know it's not over yet, but it sure feels like it.

I spoke with a rep from NHSC (Can't remember if on phone or live Q&A session), but they said the NHSC does not rely on GPA when selecting participants. But I've heard several conflicting things from the call center as well.

49 minutes ago, rachels91 said:

I have not received the award email yet, however I just logged in and checked my contract and I received a counter signature from Jamie King yesterday, 9/7 at 2:17pm. Does this mean I got the scholarship? I am just paranoid because I haven't received the "congratulations" email like a friend of mine did. 

Yes!! You got it! it took me like 24 hours to get my congrats email so just hang in there you'll get that next! 😃

19 hours ago, Chispa said:

I don't think GPA is a factor. My undergrad GPA wasn't as high as yours and my recent GPA for my first quarter for PA school isn't either. I think what matters is that, ultimately, you're on track to graduate and become a PA. 🙂

Edited by NicoleChan
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, rayrachel53 said:

I received my co-signature last Friday, and I still have not gotten the official email either. Haha I am so thankful for the co-signature, but cannot help but still be worried that it is not official-official. 

Same here and I still haven’t gotten another email. I’m getting a little concerned. 😅

• Like 1

On 9/9/2022 at 10:04 PM, detay98 said:

Same here and I still haven’t gotten another email. I’m getting a little concerned. 😅

I haven't either and I received the co signature on 9/7. I feel like I can't fully celebrate or feel excited yet because I don't have an official email. I also called HRSA, and the woman couldn't tell me anything. She just said I was still under final review (despite me telling her I have a counter signature). So I don't think they fully communicate with NHSC people or something like that. We just have to be patient 🥲

Edited by rachels91
  • Like 1

Anyone know how accurate is the Health Workforce Connector website?

Ive been trying to opportunities in the north jersey area and see a few sites but 0 opportunities as of right now. I know these numbers change from year to year but to see 0 opportunities right now is a little unsettling. 

How else are you guys looking for NHSC opportunities?

26 minutes ago, mylocopinocci said:

Anyone know how accurate is the Health Workforce Connector website?

Ive been trying to opportunities in the north jersey area and see a few sites but 0 opportunities as of right now. I know these numbers change from year to year but to see 0 opportunities right now is a little unsettling. 

How else are you guys looking for NHSC opportunities?

Search for approved sites in the area you want to practice in and go to their own careers website. I’ve seen positions posted at FQHCs that never made it onto the workforce connector