NHSC Scholarship 2022-2023

On 9/20/2022 at 8:30 AM, shelby15 said:

Does anyone know how to get the ORC information to the NHSC? Do I need to submit something or does my school need to do this? Is there a form they can fill out! I tried to talk to my school and they said to work with my program, so I wasn't sure! 

From the NHSC program guide: 

"ORC is an annual payment provided to each NHSC scholar and is dependent on the scholar’s
discipline, year in school, and the school’s costs that each school provides annually to the
NHSC"

My school also said they won't make an invoice for this as it wasn't billed to me. I messaged the NHSC about this so I'll update when they get back to me, but it seems like it might be something the NSHC automatically calculates and sends with the first stipend payment in November.

On 9/20/2022 at 11:24 AM, Sweet said:

- Contract is countersigned, get notification that you officially got award.

- Let school know (at my school, people who take care of outside scholarships is the Bursar office, not Fin Aid)

- Bursar office will bill NHSC for future semesters and past semesters ( I started in summer, so they will bill NHSC for Summer and fall semesters. Once they recieve money from NHSC for tuition/fees, student loans used to cover those will be sent back to source and disappear from account)

- Bursar office will also fill out a form for Other Reasonable Costs (money they think you need for extra things like books, supplies) and send it to NHSC.

- First week of November NHSC will send you a lump sum of living stipend for July-Oct as well as one time payment for other reasonable costs. Then they will continue sending you a stipend monthly.

- School will continue to bill NHSC every quarter or semester. Student loans taken out for living expenses will not change and you'll still get quarterly/semester disbursements unless you go to fin aid and tell them you want to lower it, no longer want it.

This is my understanding of what should happen.

Not sure about he ORC part, I was told from my school they won't make an invoice for anything that wasn't directly billed. I don't even think they send the invoice for tuition correctly though...

But the program guide says this: "ORC is an annual payment provided to each NHSC scholar and is dependent on the scholar’s discipline, year in school, and the school’s costs that each school provides annually to the NHSC"

So I'm hoping an invoice from our school about ORC is not required. Again, I reached out to the NHSC and asked them so I'll update here when I find out.

7 minutes ago, Prepa678 said:

Does anyone know why the PA minimum HPSA score is so low this year/so much lower than physician and NP scores (PA is 5, others are 18)? Should we expect that to change significantly next year? 

I was wondering about this too. Some of us recipients were speculating it's due to fewer PA opportunities than physician or NP opportunities... There are over 2,000 physician openings and 1,000 NP jobs on the HRSA workforce connector but fewer than 400 PA openings. I know PAs can apply for some NP positions, but there's still quite a discrepancy. A low score allows PA recipients of the scholarship more flexibility to make up for the lack of openings?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TinaH said:

I was wondering about this too. Some of us recipients were speculating it's due to fewer PA opportunities than physician or NP opportunities... There are over 2,000 physician openings and 1,000 NP jobs on the HRSA workforce connector but fewer than 400 PA openings. I know PAs can apply for some NP positions, but there's still quite a discrepancy. A low score allows PA recipients of the scholarship more flexibility to make up for the lack of openings?

That’s a good thought! I am just hoping the huge drop for this year wont make it go way up next year? 

12 hours ago, LaurenR19 said:

I'm guessing it's safe to say that if our application is still "under review" we weren't selected? This is my first time applying, but I'm in my 3rd semester of didactic. My program started in January of this year. 

Congratulations to everyone who was! 

I'm in exactly the same boat, 3rd semester of didactic and still "under review" - supposedly there's still a chance if someone else gives up their spot or they still haven't used all their funding from when I talked to a lady end of last week when I called, but I think it's more and more unlikely with each day.

Congrats to everyone who got it! It's a huge accomplishment 🙂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chispa said:

I'm in exactly the same boat, 3rd semester of didactic and still "under review" - supposedly there's still a chance if someone else gives up their spot or they still haven't used all their funding from when I talked to a lady end of last week when I called, but I think it's more and more unlikely with each day.

Congrats to everyone who got it! It's a huge accomplishment 🙂

I would love to know what actual criteria they use to decide if someone will stay in underserved areas. Prior to PA school, I practiced as a school psychologist for 5 years in low-income, title 1, underserved school districts, so feel as though i've demonstrated that, but I don't meet criteria 1 (current applicant) or criteria 3 (disadvantaged background). 

Such is life. I won't reapply though since i'll be 7 months from graduation in the next cycle and can't justify a 2-year commitment for 7 months of funding. 

16 minutes ago, LaurenR19 said:

I would love to know what actual criteria they use to decide if someone will stay in underserved areas. Prior to PA school, I practiced as a school psychologist for 5 years in low-income, title 1, underserved school districts, so feel as though i've demonstrated that, but I don't meet criteria 1 (current applicant) or criteria 3 (disadvantaged background). 

Such is life. I won't reapply though since i'll be 7 months from graduation in the next cycle and can't justify a 2-year commitment for 7 months of funding. 

I'm in a similar boat - I worked as a professional Spanish medical interpreter (all underserved patients, really) for 7 years before starting school, and as a Title 1 HS Spanish teacher for a year before that. I do meet criteria 3 for disadvantaged background, but not criteria 1. I really don't know how they're deciding or not deciding.

The service commitment, like with you, seems pretty long and not as worth it if I apply next cycle, since I'll be graduating May 2024.

21 minutes ago, Chispa said:

I'm in a similar boat - I worked as a professional Spanish medical interpreter (all underserved patients, really) for 7 years before starting school, and as a Title 1 HS Spanish teacher for a year before that. I do meet criteria 3 for disadvantaged background, but not criteria 1. I really don't know how they're deciding or not deciding.

The service commitment, like with you, seems pretty long and not as worth it if I apply next cycle, since I'll be graduating May 2024.

Our previous works speaks for itself and we have a wealth of experience that will only serve our future patients in such a profound way! That in it of itself is a huge accomplishment! I don’t know you, but proud of us both! 

I also graduate May 2024! We are so close!!! 

On 9/22/2022 at 2:59 AM, ChristianPrePA said:

Not sure about he ORC part, I was told from my school they won't make an invoice for anything that wasn't directly billed. I don't even think they send the invoice for tuition correctly though...

But the program guide says this: "ORC is an annual payment provided to each NHSC scholar and is dependent on the scholar’s discipline, year in school, and the school’s costs that each school provides annually to the NHSC"

So I'm hoping an invoice from our school about ORC is not required. Again, I reached out to the NHSC and asked them so I'll update here when I find out.

I talked to someone at the NHSC at they said that the ORC will be automatically deposited into whatever account you set up as your direct deposit. It is $1,500 and "should" be spent on things you need for the program, but they do not take it away if you don't spend it.

• Upvote 1

On 9/22/2022 at 3:55 AM, ChristianPrePA said:

From the NHSC program guide: 

"ORC is an annual payment provided to each NHSC scholar and is dependent on the scholar’s
discipline, year in school, and the school’s costs that each school provides annually to the
NHSC"

My school also said they won't make an invoice for this as it wasn't billed to me. I messaged the NHSC about this so I'll update when they get back to me, but it seems like it might be something the NSHC automatically calculates and sends with the first stipend payment in November.

Same, they said they don't bill for it for me either! Let me know what you find out! 

1 hour ago, upaprocks said:

I talked to someone at the NHSC at they said that the ORC will be automatically deposited into whatever account you set up as your direct deposit. It is $1,500 and "should" be spent on things you need for the program, but they do not take it away if you don't spend it.

Uh-oh…is the ORC really just a $1,500 lump sum? I hope that’s not true. That’s nearly what I spent on medical supplies alone; my school budgeted $1,000 in my loan amount just for that. I kept all of my receipts in case they needed them for an invoice, but now it sounds like schools aren’t doing invoices??

13 hours ago, TinaH said:

Uh-oh…is the ORC really just a $1,500 lump sum? I hope that’s not true. That’s nearly what I spent on medical supplies alone; my school budgeted $1,000 in my loan amount just for that. I kept all of my receipts in case they needed them for an invoice, but now it sounds like schools aren’t doing invoices??

The NHSC does say it is based on tuition and discipline, so it's probably the average amount. It says in the guide they don't guarantee it'll cover all costs.

9 hours ago, QuiteContrary said:

Do any accepted scholars know where they are going to upload the webinar? I accidentally deleted the email with the link but I remember they said they will upload it somewhere for people who cannot make it?

They said they would send out an email but I do not believe they've done so yet. Here's a link to last years webinar though, I imagine its not much different.

https://hrsa-gov.zoomgov.com/rec/play/uzZMSRvltxV3q1QIA3wUbIQbuR_ZNgTISohKSDeY0Mm_xgR-EKrEXfroVuESuNUttkZlvLVSXFAqmTda.CAMEXM2TRct7HZw9?startTime=1632335416000

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, NicoleChan said:

Hey guys, I was looking at my portal and clicked under "My Financial History" tab, which shows the amount of stipend and ORC I will be awarded. It states "processed payments," but I have yet to receive anything. Should I be concerned or should I wait until November? I also see nothing regarding tuition. 

Where do you see that tab? Was it always visible for you?