NHSC Scholarship 2022-2023

On 10/24/2022 at 8:48 PM, Ricgar10 said:

Where do you see that tab? Was it always visible for you?

I saw it in my portal to the right bottom-ish side. There's a whole bunch of tabs and one of them says "financial history." 

I also got the deposits today so one of my question is answered 🙂. What about tuition, guys? Did your school receive anything yet?

Edited by NicoleChan

19 hours ago, NicoleChan said:

I saw it in my portal to the left bottom-ish side. There's a whole bunch of tabs and one of them says "financial history." 

I also got the deposits today so one of my question is answered 🙂. What about tuition, guys? Did your school receive anything yet?

My school has not gotten tuition payment from NHSC yet

• Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 6:51 PM, LaurenR19 said:

I would love to know what actual criteria they use to decide if someone will stay in underserved areas. Prior to PA school, I practiced as a school psychologist for 5 years in low-income, title 1, underserved school districts, so feel as though i've demonstrated that, but I don't meet criteria 1 (current applicant) or criteria 3 (disadvantaged background). 

Such is life. I won't reapply though since i'll be 7 months from graduation in the next cycle and can't justify a 2-year commitment for 7 months of funding. 

In your case, you could apply for a one-year committment in exchange for tuition for those seven months.  It's not an automatic two-year committment.  

However, instead of doing that, if you get a job in a health-care provider shortage area, you can apply for theNHSC loan repayment program.  I think they give out around $50,000 for the first year and $45,000 the second.  Not sure what an additional year would be.  I think those are given in cash for you to do with as you please.

On 10/6/2022 at 6:47 PM, QuiteContrary said:

Do any accepted scholars know where they are going to upload the webinar? I accidentally deleted the email with the link but I remember they said they will upload it somewhere for people who cannot make it?

Did you ever find out about where the link to the recording is?  I have the emails they sent out.  All they say is that the recording will be shared via email, but I never got an email.

6 hours ago, JBuck said:

Did you ever find out about where the link to the recording is?  I have the emails they sent out.  All they say is that the recording will be shared via email, but I never got an email.

Never got an email about it but they posted the new recording to their current scholars website.

https://hrsa-gov.zoomgov.com/rec/play/Rs7SOjSzzww9mUDodIpI__J-hAGC-f65TPcon3uztUWaWTSDYr_RqS0R8Y8jqRq8tC4A06q2qCtZ6KzR.CcnlAbfl1yqJomnZ?startTime=1664906526000

Hey everyone.  Congrats too all new and moving on recipients.  My name is Frederick and I am an OMS-II with a full 4 -year NHSC scholarship..  IN year 1 our ORC was just short of $7000, this year it was $1047.  I was shocked because there was never any indication that it would be different or lower. Does anyone know why or what is left out in the second year ORC?

Thanks,

Fred 

PS I hope it's OK that I am asking here.  I couldn't;'t find a physician forum addressing the NHSC scholarship and I also love PA's and how much you bring to our shared mission in healthcare!!!

Edited by Phredmeiser
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Phredmeiser said:

Hey everyone.  Congrats too all new and moving on recipients.  My name is Frederick and I am an OMS-II with a full 4 -year NHSC scholarship..  IN year 1 our ORC was just short of $7000, this year it was $1047.  I was shocked because there was never any indication that it would be different or lower. Does anyone know why or what is left out in the second year ORC?

Thanks,

Fred 

PS I hope it's OK that I am asking here.  I couldn't find a physician forum addressing the NHSC scholarship and I also love PA's and how much you bring to our shared mission in healthcare!!!

Hey Fred,

Congrats on your NHSC status! I'm a little surprised to hear your ORC is so low...mine is $4,247. Did your school somehow make a mistake? I ask because the ORC payment is dispersed based on your school's submission of a document containing information about estimated costs. Your school either didn't include all the costs associated with your current year of schooling (aka they made a mistake) OR they decided your ORC would be a lot less than last year.

And thank you for showing love to PAs! Love physicians and can't wait to be an important team member someday!

21 hours ago, TinaH said:

Hey Fred,

Congrats on your NHSC status! I'm a little surprised to hear your ORC is so low...mine is $4,247. Did your school somehow make a mistake? I ask because the ORC payment is dispersed based on your school's submission of a document containing information about estimated costs. Your school either didn't include all the costs associated with your current year of schooling (aka they made a mistake) OR they decided your ORC would be a lot less than last year.

And thank you for showing love to PAs! Love physicians and can't wait to be an important team member someday!

You got $7000 your first year? Nice. My program's books and supplies were under $7000, and i got half of that for orc.  Next year my program's books and supplies are about half of what they were the first year, so i imagine I'll get half again. 

6 minutes ago, NicoleChan said:

Hi, just checking in on what status everyone is at. I have gotten my ORC and stipends, but my tuition still haven't been paid. My school is charging me for next quarter's tuition soon so it's all adding up. What's happening for everyone?

I have also received ORC and stipends but no tuition payment has been made to my school. How does the reimbursement process work for tuition that has been paid with loans? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2022 at 2:14 PM, NicoleChan said:

Hi, just checking in on what status everyone is at. I have gotten my ORC and stipends, but my tuition still haven't been paid. My school is charging me for next quarter's tuition soon so it's all adding up. What's happening for everyone?

I am also still waiting for tuition payment. Anyone have any idea when this will occur? 

• 3 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Kbelle25 said:

Is anyone else still waiting for their summer and fall tuition payments? I feel like spring ones will be due in the near future and I still have not even got my fall one yet

Im still waiting too. NHSC sent me an email like a few weeks into Oct saying that they were working with my program to get tuition and loans paid but I never got anything after that.

On 12/11/2022 at 11:17 AM, QuiteContrary said:

Im still waiting too. NHSC sent me an email like a few weeks into Oct saying that they were working with my program to get tuition and loans paid but I never got anything after that.

I was looking at the forum for last year's scholarship and apparently some people didn't get tuition reimbursed until January 6th. Apparently you should be able to see it once its processed in the portal under the "my financial information" tab.

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, eventuallyPA said:

Any updates with tuition payments? Mine still hasn't gone through and just wanted to see if anyone else has had the same problems or if theirs has been payed yet

Same here. nothing has been posted yet on my financial aid bill. Kinda frustrating bc my loans are still being taken out. I guess we'll have to wait till the tuition reimbursement kicks in so we can pay it back.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Kbelle25 said:

For the enrollment verification they had us fill out a few weeks ago did "winter" mean like a mini winter semester if some schools have it or did they actually mean spring like Jan-may?

I had called NHSC asking this question because my program doesn't technically have a "winter term," but we started classes on January 2nd. NHSC told me to indicate enrollment since we are taking classes during the winter months.