Why not "Associate Physician" instead of "Physician associate"?

Umm... Ventana...

PAMAC is a nursing student who applied to a PA program, was not accepted so in the interim... he went to nursing school. He is NOT a PA or NP

Also... the post of PAMAC's that you quoted above was clearly written by someone else and he was simply using it to make a point that he and some FNPs (over at allnurses) pretty much agree with many of our points. As is evident by the 4th sentence in his post: "the last comment i read on an NP thread over at allnurses was:"

PAMAC is actually basically agreeing with pretty much most, if not YOUR entire premise/position, but I'm sure he will be by shortly to tell you himself.

Now re-read that post above from that perspective.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oops sorry and thanks contrarian for pointing it out

long day and blurry vision and reading/posting before bedtime I guess is dangerous...

PAMAC good signature

I truly feel the highly experienced primary care PA's are likely feeling very different about this topic

But how about people pipe in with rather they are IM/primary in the specialities........ I am suspecious that there is a great divide between the two and the notions that we need to learn from each other is paramount

as for letters following name Makes me laugh when I see RN's listing the soup of letters including things like CCRN or ERRN - why do they do this?

I find this whole thread disheartening on so many levels. I entered the PA field because at the time (no offense) in my part of the country NP's were incompetent, poorly trained, and a complete liability. Physicians wanted nothing to do with signing their info as so many had to claim their practice hours but in all actuality couldn't diagnose strep throat upon graduation. I have worked with some amazing NP's since but it was the generalization. Now NP's are ruling rural and primary care, have better advocacy (probably because they are fighting for bigger things than just name changes), and don't have to answer to the AMA. They can do whatever they want whenever they want with as little education as they want. The DNP's now offer degrees online. My friend is taking them and I can tell you that ANY CNA in the country could pass the test without fail. And who is supervising them? THEMSELVES!!! PA's seem to only be advancing in areas of specialty and/or surgery. For primary care and rural PA's we have to fight for our jobs. If this all boiled down to what our name was life would be grand...but out here in the Boonies patients don't care if you're an MD, PA, NP, or a CLOWN. If you can toss them a Zpack and some hydrocodone once in awhile you've got a job. In our state NP's have more freedom, better representation, and openly mock the PA profession for fighting for a name change when in all reality we need to spend more time on patient education or improving our outcomes, allying ourselves with physicians so we're more of an asset than a liability, and quit struggling with the "respect that comes from our name." My patient numbers won't change if I'm a PAssistant or a PAssociate. The numbers would change if we had more active lobbying for ways to be more independent or for advanced training and such to put us educationally superior to our NP competitors. Maybe a DPA program that didn't cost $56,000...who knows. All I know is somewhere along the lines we went from superior care (in my experience) to a pile of people arguing over a name while the NPs passed us in every other aspect. Forgive me for my opinion...but experience gave it to me.

we already have superior education. what we lack is recognition. aapa does a poor job of promoting our current name let alone what we would like to be called and with their declining membership and staff layoffs I have concerns about their future ability to do so..

in 25 yrs involved with the pa profession I can recall only 2 big aapa pr moves that would hit the radar of the avg american. one was Steve Hanson on stage with Obama a few years ago and the second was the npr interview that they just botched. Both cost them nothing financially which is why they happened at all.

I find this whole thread disheartening on so many levels. I entered the PA field because at the time (no offense) in my part of the country NP's were incompetent, poorly trained, and a complete liability. Physicians wanted nothing to do with signing their info as so many had to claim their practice hours but in all actuality couldn't diagnose strep throat upon graduation. I have worked with some amazing NP's since but it was the generalization. Now NP's are ruling rural and primary care, have better advocacy (probably because they are fighting for bigger things than just name changes), and don't have to answer to the AMA. They can do whatever they want whenever they want with as little education as they want. The DNP's now offer degrees online. My friend is taking them and I can tell you that ANY CNA in the country could pass the test without fail. And who is supervising them? THEMSELVES!!! PA's seem to only be advancing in areas of specialty and/or surgery. For primary care and rural PA's we have to fight for our jobs. If this all boiled down to what our name was life would be grand...but out here in the Boonies patients don't care if you're an MD, PA, NP, or a CLOWN. If you can toss them a Zpack and some hydrocodone once in awhile you've got a job. In our state NP's have more freedom, better representation, and openly mock the PA profession for fighting for a name change when in all reality we need to spend more time on patient education or improving our outcomes, allying ourselves with physicians so we're more of an asset than a liability, and quit struggling with the "respect that comes from our name." My patient numbers won't change if I'm a PAssistant or a PAssociate. The numbers would change if we had more active lobbying for ways to be more independent or for advanced training and such to put us educationally superior to our NP competitors. Maybe a DPA program that didn't cost $56,000...who knows. All I know is somewhere along the lines we went from superior care (in my experience) to a pile of people arguing over a name while the NPs passed us in every other aspect. Forgive me for my opinion...but experience gave it to me.

I could care less what NPs call us.

Furthmore we have always had better education and a superior clinical product...more well rounded and able from day one.

Funny you say that PAs are squabbling over the name yet you cite the success of NPs......success which has in large part hinged arounf a TITLE as well (DNP).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I also think you're incorrect about PC. PAs are moving into specialties due to salary/reimbursement, not from some organized effort by the profession. But there are multiple fronts of PA organization that support PC (ACA legislation, emr incentives, mission based PA programs which recruit with a rural or PC focus like SJVC)...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

...[brevity edit]... In our state NP's have more freedom, better representation, and openly mock the PA profession for fighting for a name change when in all reality we need to spend more time on patient education [Educating them about our ability to "Assist"..???] or improving our outcomes [You mean the "outcomes" that are now credited to the physicians we "Assist"..???], allying ourselves with physicians so we're more of an asset than a liability [We make them MILLIONS of dollars yearly with few lawsuits, so how much more of a "asset" should we be...???], and quit struggling with the "respect that comes from our name." [interesting... cause if a "name" is trivial and doesn't mean anything... why do we ALL contort ourselves so... to ONLY refer to physicians as "Doctor" in a clinical setting...?? If titles are 'no big deal'... why can't I refer to and call Physasst "Doctor" in a clinical setting...??? I mean he did EARN a Doctorate.] My patient numbers won't change if I'm a PAssistant or a PAssociate. The numbers would change if we had more active lobbying for ways to be more independent or for advanced training and such to put us educationally superior to our NP competitors. [Your training was already "educationally superior." Also... there is NO way for a "ASSISTANT" to be "more independent." This notion almost qualifies as a oxymoron. As a ASSISTANT... you must be ASSISTING someone. As a "Associate" you have other options] Maybe a DPA program that didn't cost $56,000...who knows. [Coool... so now become a "Assistant" with a doctorate to someone with a doctorate. After the late night papers, and debt... You are still beholden to a totally different group of professionals, still require "supervision" to practice and in some states even have a active license, you still can't practice your profession without the benevolence of a friendly physician, can still be arbitrarially stymied based upon the whims of others, still can't use the title that you EARNED while performing the job that you earned it in and for... yeah, ok... no thanks!!] All I know is somewhere along the lines we went from superior care (in my experience) to a pile of people arguing over a name while the NPs passed us in every other aspect. Forgive me for my opinion...but experience gave it to me.

Tayce... I think one of the points YOU are missing about the significance in the "Name Change" is that by definition... to do their jobs... "Assistants" MUST be directly or indirectly assisting someone/something. So when "assistants" start talking about things like "independence"... its contrary to the common conceptualized definition of "assistant." I mean really... how can you be a "assistant" if you have no one to assist..???

The part about what the NPs think about what we think we should or shouldn't be called is really moot... and as evidence...

You should simply start diligently, consistently openly refering to each of these NPs (who "openly mock" our name issue) as "Nursing assistants"...

Then right before their heads explode ... you will see/hear how important they think their title is. :heheh:

All of your points about issues that would advance our profession in your previous post are well taken. Thing is... one of the problems with them is that many/most of them exceed what many legislators consider as a need of mere "assistants."

"Assistants" don't need practice independence ... cause then they wouldn't be "Assistants"

"Assistants" don't need independent billing... the people they "assist" already bill for their work (and decide how much they get)

"Assistants" don't need expanded/advanced training ... unless the people they are "assisting" says they do.

Words mean things... titles are words.

I was on the floor of the HOD this year and listened to the debates on this issue with great interest and an open mind. I voted against the resolution for a the following reasons:<br><br>1. A move towards a name change might threaten or alienate our physician partners, whom we depend on for jobs. I fear that if they think a name change may result in a move to practice independently, we will lose their trust. We need their political clout if we are ever compete with the nursing lobby, so we must do everything to make nice with the docs and even a little loss of faith in us would be very risky. As long as we are making money for the docs, we will be sitting pretty. Sorry if you don't like that arrangement, but that is our job.<br><br>2. The potential legal ramifications mentioned previously on this thread.<br><br>3. The costs may not be worth the payoff. There is no evidence, to my knowledge, that the name change will result in any real advantages of the profession, other than cosmetic. There are so many other issues that should take precedence in terms of time and money.<br><br>4. The move towards a name change makes us sound like we are insecure. It could also come off as flaky and could invite mockery from physicians confuse patients who have come to know and respect the PA brand. <br><br>5. With the final PPACA going into effect in 2014, there will be quite a bit of chaos and tumult in the healthcare system. One thing is certain, though - there will be millions of new patients to take care of and not enough docs to do it. Whether or not we are Physician Assistants or Physician Associates, we will have our work cut out for us. It is better in this time of transition to project an image of stability and confidence.<br><br>6. We have the 2nd best job in America. Forbes keep rating the PA degree as the best master's degree for jobs. The BLS says the PA profession will be growing much faster than average than all professions in the next decade, despite the fact we are in a protracted recession. The average salary for a PA is higher than what most people earn from a 2 year master's and it is much higher than the average salary for most Americans. Women in primary care make more money as a PA than as a doctor. PA's have a very high career satisfaction, higher than doctors, I believe. All this despite being called a "Physician Assistant!" Yeah, it seems like the bureaucrats at the AAPA are doing a terrible job. <br><br>On a personal note, why are you guys complaining so much? I have encountered the name changers at the AAPA listening tour and the HOD, and they all seem pretty darn angry and miserable. It is really disheartening to see this stuff, and you should be aware of the effect of your constant griping on the image of our profession. I know I am still a student, but I love my chosen profession and if I had a problem with the title, I would have chosen something else. Maybe it is a generational, because all of my peers understand and respect the PA profession and they are quite impressed by what I have accomplished so far. Most people tell me they like their PA better than their doctor, and doctors tell me how much they love PA's. Remember, we are in a recession, and it is hitting my generation very hard. I am so blessed to be a part of this profession - please don't ruin it for the rest of us!<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

It's not the notion of opening my own clinic that appeals to me, it's me being able to not be tied at the feet of doctors....

I find talk like this to be irresponsible, and ultimately damaging to the profession. If you want to practice independently, go to med school or NP school. You signed up for this job knowing what it entails and no one is making you do it.

Acromion: you are still a student. When you start working as a PA you may change your whole opinion on this issue. We are not servants to the docs. Independent practice in primary care will be necessary for those of us in rural areas. PA jobs are dependent on physicians. Physician dies, retires, gets fired, PA job vanishes in a blink of an eye. To recruit a new physician in rural health is nearly impossible and takes a long time. Believe me, been there, done that.

How can an assistant be independent????? The title itself is simply misleading and wrong for the PA profession. It is much more than the title we are arguing about....it goes much deeper. Why are PA's afraid to be independent? Personnally, I believe we should be as independent as the OD's, DPM's, chiropractors. Why not?

The shackles need to be loosened and freedom for PA's will stimulate us all to be better practitioners.

How can an assistant be independent????? The title itself is simply misleading and wrong for the PA profession. It is much more than the title we are arguing about....it goes much deeper. Why are PA's afraid to be independent? Personnally, I believe we should be as independent as the OD's, DPM's, chiropractors. Why not?

The shackles need to be loosened and freedom for PA's will stimulate us all to be better practitioners.

I may still be a student, but my opinion is not naive. I did not sign up for PA school to be an independent practitioner, nor did anyone else I go to school with. If that is what you want, good for you. Go to one of the professional schools you mentioned above. This type of rhetoric is scary and irresponsible. Remember, you have a duty to your patients first, as well as your profession. This talk of changing the profession to do what it is not trained to do makes you sound like a dangerous quack and reflects poorly on all of us.

I may still be a student, but my opinion is not naive. I did not sign up for PA school to be an independent practitioner, nor did anyone else I go to school with. If that is what you want, good for you. Go to one of the professional schools you mentioned above. This type of rhetoric is scary and irresponsible. Remember, you have a duty to your patients first, as well as your profession. This talk of changing the profession to do what it is not trained to do makes you sound like a dangerous quack and reflects poorly on all of us.

No it is not. I wonder where you got the impression that our physician colleagues would be threatened by a name change...hmmm. Let me guess.

FOR the record, I know the treasurer of the AMA fairly well, and work very closely with a member of the BOD of the AHA. I have spoken to both to ascertain their feelings. BOTH stated essentially the same exact thing...that, while they could not speak for their respective boards, as long as we are not trying to change our practice descriptions, or trying for independent practice, that a name change for our profession was NOT A MEDICINE ISSUE. IT IS A PA ISSUE. Independent practice and a name change are TWO COMPLETELY SEPARATE issues.

As far as being independent, wait til you're in practice for over a decade. You will feel quite differently. I just started a new job, and during the interview, I laid that on the table. My words were "I am NOT an Assistant, I am a provider. If you want someone to follow you around and do menial tasks, DO NOT HIRE ME. I will be miserable, YOU will be miserable, and it just won't work. On the other hand, if you want a highly independent provider to see and manage acute and complex spine cases, I'm the guy you want". Does this mean I can see every single case on my own? NO... Does this mean that we don't need physicians? NO, in fact some cases are complicated enough to require a physician to see. Likely 3-5% of total patient visits (just a guess).....But 95% of the time, I don't need a physician around....

I actually think that the AAPA will continue to hemorrhage members until it realizes that the practice model it espouses is 2 decades in the past, and that the majority of PAs have evolved past this. They see the AAPA as not being representative of their current concerns and I can see this. I just sent an email to the current president bemoaning the recent interview by NPR and explained how this mismanagement of publicity will only alienate MORE PAs. Care coordination??????.....f*cking care coordination......what a bunch of bullcr*p. At my institution, RN's do care coordination. PAs see patients.

rant over....

As a PA student it would be hard to fathom the debate over name change (as I also previously felt as a student). Walk in the shoes of an experienced PA and you may change your mind... the majority of PAs favor name change. Just several years out from school has broadened my perspective (for the numerous reasons listed previously). I just hope that when you have been certified for several years that you still are against a name change (and consequently have always worked in a constructive and positive team based medical setting).

I was on the floor of the HOD this year and listened to the debates on this issue with great interest and an open mind. I voted against the resolution for a the following reasons:<br><br>1. A move towards a name change might threaten or alienate our physician partners, whom we depend on for jobs. I fear that if they think a name change may result in a move to practice independently, we will lose their trust. We need their political clout if we are ever compete with the nursing lobby, so we must do everything to make nice with the docs and even a little loss of faith in us would be very risky. As long as we are making money for the docs, we will be sitting pretty. Sorry if you don't like that arrangement, but that is our job.<br><br>2. The potential legal ramifications mentioned previously on this thread.<br><br>3. The costs may not be worth the payoff. There is no evidence, to my knowledge, that the name change will result in any real advantages of the profession, other than cosmetic. There are so many other issues that should take precedence in terms of time and money.<br><br>4. The move towards a name change makes us sound like we are insecure. It could also come off as flaky and could invite mockery from physicians confuse patients who have come to know and respect the PA brand. <br><br>5. With the final PPACA going into effect in 2014, there will be quite a bit of chaos and tumult in the healthcare system. One thing is certain, though - there will be millions of new patients to take care of and not enough docs to do it. Whether or not we are Physician Assistants or Physician Associates, we will have our work cut out for us. It is better in this time of transition to project an image of stability and confidence.<br><br>6. We have the 2nd best job in America. Forbes keep rating the PA degree as the best master's degree for jobs. The BLS says the PA profession will be growing much faster than average than all professions in the next decade, despite the fact we are in a protracted recession. The average salary for a PA is higher than what most people earn from a 2 year master's and it is much higher than the average salary for most Americans. Women in primary care make more money as a PA than as a doctor. PA's have a very high career satisfaction, higher than doctors, I believe. All this despite being called a "Physician Assistant!" Yeah, it seems like the bureaucrats at the AAPA are doing a terrible job. <br><br>On a personal note, why are you guys complaining so much? I have encountered the name changers at the AAPA listening tour and the HOD, and they all seem pretty darn angry and miserable. It is really disheartening to see this stuff, and you should be aware of the effect of your constant griping on the image of our profession. I know I am still a student, but I love my chosen profession and if I had a problem with the title, I would have chosen something else. Maybe it is a generational, because all of my peers understand and respect the PA profession and they are quite impressed by what I have accomplished so far. Most people tell me they like their PA better than their doctor, and doctors tell me how much they love PA's. Remember, we are in a recession, and it is hitting my generation very hard. I am so blessed to be a part of this profession - please don't ruin it for the rest of us!<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

just so I get this straight

you are NOT YET a PA

You are posting in the Professional PA section

You are not licensed to practice medicine......

And yet you propose to know that is best for the profession and actually voted against it in spite of 6500 ESTABLISHED EXPERIENCED PA's thought

Let me educate you a little bit as your are still a student - life in the trenches is no where near as glam filled at you think, I work the exact same schedule at the doc's, do the same call coverage, carry the same responsiblity as a doc, yet get mistaken for a medical assistant. I am not able to order even a diaper for a patient or hospice care, yet I can write for unlimted Schedule II narcotics. I have dangled wires across peoples hearts, taken biopsy's of more organs then I can count, put in more mediports and vas caths then I can remember, dx more new cancers then I can to remember, positively effected (at least I hope) literally thousands of patients - and yet i am still just and "assistant", get surprised looks from patients that I am able to do as much as I do, teach receptive residents, all for anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 of the lowest paid doc in the area.

I love being a PA and would not trade it for anything, but PLEASE do not sit there as a student and say that you "thought about it" and voted against it. It is personally and professionally silly to think that you have ANY CLUE as to what established experienced PA's are truly fighting in the trenches.

Stop drinking the AAPA and AMA koolaide and go out and talk to PA's that are working in primary care or rural care and then make up your mind - but PLEASE PLEASE stop thinking the AAPA presents unbiased info - remember that when a drug company PAYS FOR a study it is hardly worth the paper it is printed on.

It is a good lesson to newer PA's. Their is no substitue for experience and if you think the AAPA is going to tell it to you straight you will be let down.

It is purely laughable at some of your logic. The threat of "not getting the doctors" upset with us is an 2 decade old arguement and one that PA's must get out from under. We need to stand on our own merits and achievements and no expect physicans to protect our interests as we have grown to the point that our interests are going to be contrary to the interests of physicans - mostly in the areana of pay - why would they want to pay a new doc $160k/yr when they can pay a PA only 50% of this (80k) to do the exact same job, it is only about the $$$ to the employer and if we do not stand together and try to afford change that will benefit all of us.

I can see how you would think you were capable of actually forming an opinion on this issue, but to think that you actually had a say in it is frigthening and shows how uniformed things were. Did you realize that the AAPA release a position statement on this PRIOR to the vote ? Pure stupid and inside politic's that stinks of special interest instead of the interest of the masses........

your vote was to determine rather the topic should be looked at, not a final vote and it is purely stupid to think after 6500 signatures were submitted this does not atleast justify looking into the issue...

Just a observation...

Maybe its just me... but I find it psychiatrically interesting that the STUDENT "Acromion" purposely avoids identifying himself as such, by electing to not include that option in his profile. Its interesting because we usually have to remind folks to remove the default "Physician" or "Physician Assistant" identifier from their profile to avoid misrepresentation... but this kid actually took the extra step to not only avoid being mis-identified as a Physician or Actual Physician Assistant... but also obscure the fact that he is a student.

Intersting indeed... from a purely psychological perspective.

I have been following the debate on this forum regarding the title change issue for over a year and I am always concerned when I see individuals misquoted or misrepresenting the facts:

polarbebe - “Walk in the shoes of an experienced PA and you may change your mind... the majority of PAs favor name change” . Below are the results of the survey the Academy did on the title change issue. Although 45.5% is a plurality it is not a majority, however the voice of those individuals should be taken in consideration when this issue is debated. This is why I state that I am neutral on this issue and was of the 20.9% of the Unsure voters. I debated in favor of and voted for the resolution to create a task force to look into the ramifications of a title change at the HOD in Toronto. The debate was civil, collegial and in the end the vote was very close. The majority vote was cast by individuals that represented all the constituent organizations of the Academy. These individuals collectively are considered the voice of the profession. Therefore your statement is incorrect and only anecdotally based on your personal observation.

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]6735

[/TD]

[TD]4982

[/TD]

[TD]3091

[/TD]

[TD]14808

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]45.5%

[/TD]

[TD]33.6%

[/TD]

[TD]20.9%

[/TD]

[TD]100.0%

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]For

[/TD]

[TD]Opposed

[/TD]

[TD]Unsure

[/TD]

[TD]Total

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Ventana – “And yet you propose to know that is best for the profession and actually voted against it in spite of 6500 ESTABLISHED EXPERIENCED PA's thought”. 6500 pro title change PAs divided by 90,000 practicing PAs = 7.2% clearly not a majority, yet any measurable amount of concerned individuals whose concerns should rightfully trigger a signal to the leadership in the Academy. The response that individuals on this forum expected from leadership was to have each of those 6500 PAs receive some form of correspondence addressing their concerns. The result was that the Academy leadership and staff decided to develop a survey(results above), include the entire profession in that survey and share their conclusions of the survey with not only the general membership but the entire profession. Then prior to the HOD provide the delegates with a report that outlined the Academy's concerns and their findings of what the possible ramifications of a title change might entail. Based on this information the delegates voted as I mentioned above.

Oneal – ” The aapa allows students to vote in these initiatives? Truly different from my nursing world...” student members of the Academy do not have an individual vote, they have a collective vote from their delegates of the AOR to the HOD. I believe, the AOR sense approximately 20 student delegates to the HOD. These individuals are student representatives from PA programs that were elected by students within their individual programs. Many of those student delegates testified during the HOD and the testimony was divided amongst them for and against a title change.

To the title change proponents on this forum:

If you're still dissatisfied with the outcome you need to come back to the HOD with another resolution that contains facts and not anecdotal information. Do not rely on leadership (Academy Board of Directors) to be able to change the title because that is not within their authority. I(We the delegates elected by our constituents) heard your concerns, and voted on the issues based on the facts. Unfortunately, we do not all practice in the same environment, we all don't enjoy total autonomy and we all don't gain equal respect and recognition from physicians, other health care providers or the public. This is not to say that the Academy isn't trying to do everything it can to make that happen. I hope you're negative attitudes towards the Academy, the profession and your personal experiences in practice are only conveyed in your responses on this forum and not in your professional life. Negativism and pessimism is the cancer that can grow and do more damage to our profession than a lack of title recognition or public education would ever do.

I think I would be more concerned with changing it from a professional certification to a license and increasing the scope of practice to at least the level of current NP's (not requiring direct supervision by a physician, being able to staff a facility solo and have full autonomy on treatment and Rx) would be a higher priority than the title one's called.

Rich

ETA: Without the increase in scope of practice and removing the restrictions on autonomy, I can tell you one future PA that's going to be a physician instead....quickly.

Just as a point of clarification...if Acromion is a student, then yes technically they can vote in the HOD- students are grouped together along with a "Chief Delegate" who coordinates the student HOD representatives from each PA program. I don't know how a student HOD rep actually is selected to sit in the HOD physically, or how the votes are tallied within the group (my assumption is the student HOD reps all vote as "one vote", which is determined by majority).

For those of you who are current PA students....you do realize that your program has both an AOR and an HOD representative, right? This shouldn't be news

Archived