AAEM now has a JOINT statement on PA residency

3 hours ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

Embarrassingly so. Noticed the lack of the words "residency" or "fellowship" throughout the entirety of the statement?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

So EMRA has walked back their statement to now include pharmacy. Funny...now we really are just cherry picking...

https://www.emra.org/globalassets/emra/about-emra/governing-docs/september-2020-policy-compendium.pdf

Would love to know why a pharmacist can be considered a resident while a PA can't...what bassackward logic are they using to justify that?

On 10/9/2020 at 6:24 PM, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

They are okay with pharmacy using the title “residency” for post graduate training, but not APPs. Originally the joint statement did not include pharmacy.

Cause they have a doctorate.... I mean this is crazy, they are cherry picking. PharmD is not going to harm their career so they added them to the good list. We do need a standardized doctorate and a freaking name change! Assistant just does not work anymore. I truly hate saying assistant to my patients... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, camoman1234 said:

Cause they have a doctorate.... I mean this is crazy, they are cherry picking. PharmD is not going to harm their career so they added them to the good list. We do need a standardized doctorate and a freaking name change! Assistant just does not work anymore. I truly hate saying assistant to my patients... 

So don't. Say, Hi, I am Camoman1234, one of the PAs here....I have been doing this for over a decade. I have assistant nowhere on my labcoat, scripts, CV, etc. Everything says Emedpa, PA, DHSc

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, camoman1234 said:

Both AAPA and California Academy of PAs recommend just use "PA." I would just follow their recommendation. The PA title change investigation final presentation will occur on 11/20 https://www.aapa.org/title-change-investigation/ hopefully something positive. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, EMEDPA said:

So don't. Say, Hi, I am Camoman1234, one of the PAs here....I have been doing this for over a decade. I have assistant nowhere on my labcoat, scripts, CV, etc. Everything says Emedpa, PA, DHSc

Well I do that and pursuing my DMSc as well but when that ask what PA stands for I tell them the name. That's the part I hate. 

IMHO this is all about the Benjamins!! AAEM  spouts out that all ED patients should be cared for my ED Residency Trained and EM Certified Physicians. Which puts their membership in the wheelhouse and the ticket sales booth for this cruise! Everyone else is an interloper and potential drain on the money spigot. All of this lofty worded altruistic caring about the patient statement is just to mask their greedy grubby fingers and egos. When and if they could get the " Suits and Bean Counters" under their control it would be a repeat of the night of long knives for everyone except their cabal of EM physicians!!  Until then, we will continue to be "useful idiots" for them and the money people in gray suits and black wingtips, to be kept on a leash. They aren't our friends when it comes to the bottom line and their pockets!! Just the opinion of a 33 + year survivor of BOHICA!!!!

1 hour ago, CAdamsPAC said:

IMHO this is all about the Benjamins!! AAEM  spouts out that all ED patients should be cared for my ED Residency Trained and EM Certified Physicians. Which puts their membership in the wheelhouse and the ticket sales booth for this cruise! Everyone else is an interloper and potential drain on the money spigot. All of this lofty worded altruistic caring about the patient statement is just to mask their greedy grubby fingers and egos. When and if they could get the " Suits and Bean Counters" under their control it would be a repeat of the night of long knives for everyone except their cabal of EM physicians!!  Until then, we will continue to be "useful idiots" for them and the money people in gray suits and black wingtips, to be kept on a leash. They aren't our friends when it comes to the bottom line and their pockets!! Just the opinion of a 33 + year survivor of BOHICA!!!!

AAEM has never minced words that their first priority is the career of EM physicians, but others had been more level headed. That’s what made the joint statement all the more disappointing. They’ve now dragged everyone into the mud with them, and now every ACEP presidential candidate has something about protecting jobs from APPs.

21 hours ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

AAEM has never minced words that their first priority is the career of EM physicians, but others had been more level headed. That’s what made the joint statement all the more disappointing. They’ve now dragged everyone into the mud with them, and now every ACEP presidential candidate has something about protecting jobs from APPs.

These folks have just dropped the mask now!

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/4/2020 at 8:54 AM, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

If you go back and look at AAEM statements, they believe that EVERY emergency patient should be presented to a BC-EM physician. No APPs seeing patient alone, no FM working in EDs, no moonlighting residents. They have gone so far as to say that certain ACEP presidents, who have been in EM for decades, isn’t true EM physician and therefore shouldn’t even be in ACEP. They repeatedly say there are enough EM physicians today, but only 30% of ED visits are attended by a EM physicians. Never do they offer any solutions to meet this gap. Yet also they are against opening any new residencies and want several closed. When solutions are proposed (expanded training and membership to non-EM BC/BE physicians, increase training and scope of APPs, etc) they scream that people will die. 

they exist for one reason, and one reason only, to protect the financial interests of EM physicians. 

ACEP has always been more pragmatic in their approach, but it seems AAEM is dragging everyone in on this.

https://www.aaem.org/resources/statements/position/aaem-takes-a-stand-against-moonlighting-residents

https://www.aaem.org/current-news/aaem-takes-a-stand-on-the-use-of-apps-in-ed

https://www.aaem.org/resources/statements/position/em-training-programs-for--pas-and-nps

https://www.aaem.org/resources/publications/common-sense/issues/from-the-editors-desk/what-is-acep-thinking

https://epmonthly.com/article/expanding-legitimacy-for-non-certified-docs-a-step-in-the-wrong-direction/

I was just re-reading all this...in Canada, there are 2 EM tracks for physicians - Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons (Canada) 5 year residency program or a "2+1" Canadian College of Family Physicians EM track.  FM residency is 2 years here - there are a number of +1/2 tracks, EM is one of them, so there is an extra year of straight EM or they tailor their residency training to be more ED centric and are designated CCFP(EM) in their post-nominals. People that are CCFP certified family docs can also challenge the EM designation exam after so many hours of experience in ED's.  These programs are in place so that EM certified folks are working in rural/smaller community access ED's.  Usually, the Royal College folks are employed in urban, academic centres.  

SK