Ignorant Job Ad

1 minute ago, iconic said:

The whole idea that NPs specialize makes no sense; their specialization is basically 3 rotations or 600 hours. It is sad but I am seeing plenty of ads that will take new grad NPs but PAs only if they have experience. Makes me wonder who is doing the hiring. 

Don't wonder- it's the RN office manager. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, iconic said:

Makes me wonder who is doing the hiring. 

It's because many Health Care Admins are nurses.  Unfortunately, there are many there because they aren't all that good at nursing and worse, many of those couldn't lead a paperweight across a desk with a leash AND a You Tube video.

All I know is after reading that ad, I think someone has been into the controlled meds locker and didn't share with anyone...

SK

• Like 4

11 hours ago, iconic said:

The whole idea that NPs specialize makes no sense; their specialization is basically 3 rotations or 600 hours. It is sad but I am seeing plenty of ads that will take new grad NPs but PAs only if they have experience. Makes me wonder who is doing the hiring. 

nurses are doing the hiring, or they have brainwashed HR to think NP> PA when PA>NP in reality... (first time I have ever said that - but after trying to hire for position I am convinced this is the truth....)

On 7/31/2020 at 7:33 AM, ventana said:

nurses are doing the hiring, or they have brainwashed HR to think NP> PA when PA>NP in reality... (first time I have ever said that - but after trying to hire for position I am convinced this is the truth....)

Still no luck finding a good candidate?

Behold, another amazing job description.  I usually just smh and move on but for some reason this one has been stuck in my head.  Note the bold and italics points and perplexed emojis- those stand out to me.  (job ad for a CT Surgery PA with 2 years minimum experience)

• Key Responsibilities:
    • Perform patient histories and physical exams 
    • Handles daily patient rounds (including the CVICU), patient education, and discharge summaries 
    • Perform invasive procedures such as thoracenteses, chest tube insertions, placement of central venous, dialysis and Swan-Ganz catheters, arterial lines, and intra-aortic balloon pumps
    • Exhibits autonomy in the operating room when required🤔(what does that mean?)
    • Retrieves vascular tissue, including greater and lesser saphenous, veins and/or radial arteries, for use as a bypass conduit
    • Often uses endoscopic retrieval methods and involved in the industrial aspect 🤔 of EVH (what does that mean??)
    • Performs first-assist duties on all cardiac cases, thoracic and major/minor vascular cases
    • Meets the specific needs of the attending surgeon, assisting all surgeons in the practice 🤔🤔 (ok so it's just a bout the surgeons? but what about the patients?)
    • Has exacting knowledge of each surgeon's idiosyncrasies to expedite the procedure and limit patient morbidity and mortality 🤔🤔 (uh have to manage personalities as part of the job description?  factoring into morbidity and mortality huh?!)
    • Uses knowledge of medical model to promote synergistic relationship between physician and PA 🤔🤔 (uh... that's not part of the medical model)
    • Has extensive knowledge of the pharmacologic effects of vasoactive/ cardiotonic drugs, ventilator management and artificial cardiac devices
    • Performs duties of a primary care PA 🤔(this is supposedly a CT surgery job..)
    • Manages other diseases entities frequently encountered in the cardiac population, namely hypertension, diabetes, COPD, asthma, hyperthyroidism, etc. - Hmm maybe ok for 2 weeks or so....

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/6/2020 at 12:12 AM, Mantenso said:

As a PA-S nearing graduation (in 22 days but who's counting...), it's depressing how many such job postings I've seen. This one really has been my favorite thus far...

IMG_2476.thumb.JPG.e1b1bbd09c25dcab0d593360b5b41900.JPG

I actually sent them an email stating the facts that they are not advertising correctly.  

No change to ad.  

maybe others can email too. 

No reason to change,  it is not incorrect, note apostrophe for physician’s. There is so much uproar within the PA profession about the apostrophe. Anyone, except  PA’s, likely think it is kind of silly when your title is still assistant, and potentially associate. Likely PA’s will spend an enormous amount of time balking about being a physician associate vs. physician’s associate. So my question is why complain about such listings when you should be focusing on getting away from any title that can be remotely misconstrued. I’ve seen postings about not wanting to have title with practitioner so not confused or grouped with NP’s. Do you really think it is better to be confused with a medical assistant or a physician’s assistant. or an associate, like Walmart associate etc. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Hope2PA said:

No reason to change,  it is not incorrect, note apostrophe for physician’s. There is so much uproar within the PA profession about the apostrophe. Anyone, except  PA’s, likely think it is kind of silly when your title is still assistant, and potentially associate. Likely PA’s will spend an enormous amount of time balking about being a physician associate vs. physician’s associate. So my question is why complain about such listings when you should be focusing on getting away from any title that can be remotely misconstrued. I’ve seen postings about not wanting to have title with practitioner so not confused or grouped with NP’s. Do you really think it is better to be confused with a medical assistant or a physician’s assistant. or an associate, like Walmart associate etc. 

Damn straight.

On 8/4/2020 at 10:06 PM, Pastabilities said:

Has exacting knowledge of each surgeon's idiosyncrasies to expedite the procedure and limit patient morbidity and mortality 🤔🤔 (uh have to manage personalities as part of the job description?  factoring into morbidity and mortality huh?!)

I'd be worried that this is secret code for the surgeon is not a nice human being. 😉

• Upvote 3

21 hours ago, Hope2PA said:

's is a state level issue   

many states still have the 's