Ask a PA Admissions Director

@dabba Thank you for your question. Those programs that have a little more "wiggle room" with overall GPAs can focus on your most recent work. There are some programs that have a firm cut off at 3.0. That said, I feel confident in saying that the prerequisite GPA and sometimes the science GPA need to be 3.4-3.6 to be competitive with the applicant pool I've seen thus far. I would reevaluate your prerequisites (sciences and general education requirements) to make sure they are strong or spot on,  if not exceeding, the averages for the programs you're applying to. I hope this helps!

Thank you! If you don't mind, I have one more question. These next two semesters I'm completing my senior year of the Health Science major with health science courses. Caspa seems to list Health Science as "Other science" though I'm not sure if some of these courses will count. I have the full question in my thread: http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/index.php?/topic/13981-health-science-classes-all-count-as-other-science-or-some/

I don't want to overload/risk my semester if I don't need to.

Many thanks!

Hi there!

First, thank you so much for taking the time to answer so many of our questions. 

Anyway, I am from Buffalo, NY and have applied to literally ZERO local schools. So travel has to be planned in advance... The thing is, I am going to be in the area of a school I have applied, to for professional reasons at the end of August, coincidentally at the same time they conduct their first round of interviews.

I believe in asking for what you want... but is it presumptuous, or rude-- to shoot an email to the admissions coordinator, informing her of my availability in the region? Is that offensive? Or reasonable?

@DNT1 Thanks for the questions and I suggest a chocolate cake since I'm a chocoholic ;) JK! Your question is a good one and I honestly don't know how much weight that would have when applying to those type of programs because it's more than likely a program specific opinion. My first reaction is yes, it would be an advantage because you have a very insightful view of public health and know "what you're getting into." I'm unsure of how long a dual degree may possibly extend your time in PA school since it may take an extra year or a few months to complete both degrees, but if it's something you're really interested in health education and promotion it seems like a good track to pursue. I especially think a MPH is helpful in the future should you ever want to go into PA education (or any type of medical education). Hope this helps!

Thanks for your insight! I should have phrased my question differently, however. I meant to ask how a graduate with a major in PH and minor in biology appears when applying to a typical (non-dual degree) PA program. Regardless of phrasing, I think your answer still addresses this question. Thanks again @paadmissions!  

@dabba I'm not really sure that those would count towards your science GPA, since technically they are "other" classes. Sciences, at least to our program and I believe CASPA, would be the biology, chemistry, and physic classes. Thanks!

Thank you! If you don't mind, I have one more question. These next two semesters I'm completing my senior year of the Health Science major with health science courses. Caspa seems to list Health Science as "Other science" though I'm not sure if some of these courses will count. I have the full question in my thread: http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/index.php?/topic/13981-health-science-classes-all-count-as-other-science-or-some/

I don't want to overload/risk my semester if I don't need to.

Many thanks!

@marsle85 Thank you for your question. To be honest, that is a very fine line to walk and I would probably discourage you moving forward with contacting the program with that request. I've had applicants in the past contact us with that type of request and, although I know it's not meant to be presumptuous, it could be perceived as such. Unfortunately, we can't accommodate everyone's request and may have other applicants who may have been invited in for that day. Ultimately, the decision is yours but I would advise against it. Hope this helps!

Hi there!

First, thank you so much for taking the time to answer so many of our questions. 

Anyway, I am from Buffalo, NY and have applied to literally ZERO local schools. So travel has to be planned in advance... The thing is, I am going to be in the area of a school I have applied, to for professional reasons at the end of August, coincidentally at the same time they conduct their first round of interviews.

I believe in asking for what you want... but is it presumptuous, or rude-- to shoot an email to the admissions coordinator, informing her of my availability in the region? Is that offensive? Or reasonable?

Just a quick question, I have taken the GRE twice. My first time, I got a total of 303 and a writing of 4.0. The second time I went up to a 310, but my writing went down to a 3.5. My question is, should I send both scores to all of my schools so they know I was capable of getting the 4.0 on the writing, even though that will show my lower original score (303)? OR do I just send the most recent, they'll see my 310 but only see my 3.5 writing and possibly not accept me because that is a pretty low writing score?

I'm so torn! Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!!!

• Upvote 1

Hello everyone,

I am currently a Respiratory Therapist at UCLA medical center with over 3000 hours of HCE and am on my path to becoming a PA, however I am very stuck and require some advice please!

My question is deciding between a BS in Public health at CSULA or BA in psychology or human biology/society at UCLA, which degree/school would look more valuable in getting into PA school? A BS at UCLA is out of the question because they require way too many pre-requisites that are not necessary for PA. Please help me! Thanks in advance.

Cost is also not an issue because UCLA will pay 2/3 of my tuition, and CSULA will be almost free because of financial aid. The pre-requisite classes for PA are being currently taken at a community college so that is also not an issue.

Pros CSULA: *BS* in public health(PA related major) but not taken at a top instituion

Pros UCLA: Top school with good reputation, but it would be a *BA* in either psychology or human bio/society major.

@paadmissions

I am really hoping to be accepted this application cycle but have not heard back from the programs I have applied to (CASPA verified 7/7/14).  My stats are as follows:

cGPA - 3.93

BCP GPA - 4.0

HCE 4500 hours + 1500 hours in a student rad tech position

GRE 295 (147Q/148V)

I had two outstanding prereqs at the time of my application submission and one outstanding prereq as of now (updated transcript sent this week).  In the fall I am taking my final prereq and the last two classes to finish my BS in Radiologic Science.  Do you think that having outstanding prereqs has hurt my chances and in your opinion do my other stats compensate for my below average GRE scores?

Thanks for your time!

How would a few month old operating while intoxicated OWI, affect your application? (Non-criminal, citation, version). What would be the best way to approach the committee about this if it is not yet represented on CASPA (as it occurred after submission). What are some steps to take to mitigate this in the long run if it cannot be expunged. Is it likely you would need to reapply?

@nikkisis1221 Thanks for your question. I would send both sets of scores especially since there was improvements in your V&Q sections. I think you'll be on average if not exceeding some requirements and may surprise yourself. Our program does not weigh the analytical score but 3.5-4.0 is on average what I see for competitive applicants. Hope this helps!

Just a quick question, I have taken the GRE twice. My first time, I got a total of 303 and a writing of 4.0. The second time I went up to a 310, but my writing went down to a 3.5. My question is, should I send both scores to all of my schools so they know I was capable of getting the 4.0 on the writing, even though that will show my lower original score (303)? OR do I just send the most recent, they'll see my 310 but only see my 3.5 writing and possibly not accept me because that is a pretty low writing score?

I'm so torn! Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!!!

@em1ballin Thank you for your question. I encourage students to focus on the schools and majors that are the best fit for them. Typically, I usually recommend a Biology major because many of the common prerequisites for PA programs are within your planned course of study and you usually don't have to pick up too many additional classes. That said, a public health major can offer sometimes more insight into the innerworkings of healthcare and give you a more in-depth view of healthcare administration, health promotion/education, etc. I'm assuming additional classes will have to be taken (i.e. upper level chemistries and biologies), if there is not a "pre-health professional" concentration. Should you ever change your mind and not want to go to PA school a background in PH could possibly lead to more health related jobs than biology. Keep in mind just because some may view an institution better than another, you should attend a school that will be the best fit for you. Hope this helps!

Hello everyone,

I am currently a Respiratory Therapist at UCLA medical center with over 3000 hours of HCE and am on my path to becoming a PA, however I am very stuck and require some advice please!

My question is deciding between a BS in Public health at CSULA or BA in psychology or human biology/society at UCLA, which degree/school would look more valuable in getting into PA school? A BS at UCLA is out of the question because they require way too many pre-requisites that are not necessary for PA. Please help me! Thanks in advance.

Cost is also not an issue because UCLA will pay 2/3 of my tuition, and CSULA will be almost free because of financial aid. The pre-requisite classes for PA are being currently taken at a community college so that is also not an issue.

Pros CSULA: *BS* in public health(PA related major) but not taken at a top instituion

Pros UCLA: Top school with good reputation, but it would be a *BA* in either psychology or human bio/society major.

@radtech1028 Thank you for your question. I don't know if the outstanding prerequisites will hurt your application because every program has different deadlines for prerequisites. If, for example, you were applying to our program, we would still consider your application since we see a plan in place to complete the coursework by our late-August 2015 start date. I'm thinking your GRE score may be below what some programs are looking for, if they require the GRE. We recommend at least a 297 to be competitive, but your scores are not that far off the target.  Be sure to check the programs recommendations/requirements for the GRE to make sure you don't have to retake it. I would think your other factors would add some strength to your application, but again that's more of a program decision. Also, depending on the start dates of the programs you're applying to, keep in mind some programs may have not started their interviews as of now. We will start ours in September, but I realize again that every program conducts their interviews on a different schedule. Hope this helps.

@paadmissions

I am really hoping to be accepted this application cycle but have not heard back from the programs I have applied to (CASPA verified 7/7/14).  My stats are as follows:

cGPA - 3.93

BCP GPA - 4.0

HCE 4500 hours + 1500 hours in a student rad tech position

GRE 295 (147Q/148V)

I had two outstanding prereqs at the time of my application submission and one outstanding prereq as of now (updated transcript sent this week).  In the fall I am taking my final prereq and the last two classes to finish my BS in Radiologic Science.  Do you think that having outstanding prereqs has hurt my chances and in your opinion do my other stats compensate for my below average GRE scores?

Thanks for your time!

@dennisred Thank you for your question. The best thing to do since you've already submitted your application is to contact the programs you've applied to and provide a written explanation. Each program has different ways to collect background check information, meaning either the applicant must pay for a background check as a part of their CASPA application or the program will run one prior to acceptance/matriculation. You don't want something "popping" up without you having provided an explanation as to what happened. Honesty is always the first approach. I'm not sure how the programs will take into consideration the violation, but you don't want it to surprise anyone. Hope this helps!

How would a few month old operating while intoxicated OWI, affect your application? (Non-criminal, citation, version). What would be the best way to approach the committee about this if it is not yet represented on CASPA (as it occurred after submission). What are some steps to take to mitigate this in the long run if it cannot be expunged. Is it likely you would need to reapply?

I had an issue that I haven't seen addressed on any of the forums and was hoping you could shed some light on my issue. I will be applying for schools next year and have a DUI on my record. Is this going to keep me from getting licensed as a PA? I have a feeling I will still be accepted to a school, but am scared that I will pay all that money and not be able to get my license. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. 

Hi PA Admissions Director,

I am planning to go back for a second degree, which would be around 60 units to complete. My cGPA could be raised slightly above a 3.3. My sGPA may be around a 3.5. Would you recommed this?

Hi PA Admissions Director, are you wililng to look over the following stats?

Red flags on my PA application

• I currently have a GPA that is slightly above 3.0 on my CASPA.
  • I previously withdrew from a nursing program. I also failed out of another nursing program.

Things I plan to do for admissions

• I am planning to take about 24 credit of science courses, which will raise my GPA slightly above 3.10, I may even retake some of my courses to raise my GPA slightly above 3.20
  • I am planning to do work as a CNA to fulfill HCE experience
  • I plan to take the GRE
  • I also plan to shadow PAs and MDs

If I were to consider admissions into a PA program, then what else should I do to strengthen my application? Do you think I would have a good chance?

@curiousprepa Thank you for your question. Before you even move forward with your plan, I would consult the programs that interest you to make sure you are eligible for admission since you've been dismissed from a nursing program. Some programs, ours for example, do not consider applicants who have been dismissed from PA, medical or nursing school. Even if you do find a program that does not have that policy in place, I'm thinking that will definitely hinder your chances of being competitive. I hope this helps and best wishes.

@evlopez Thank you for your question. I do not think the DUI will hurt your chances of being accepted as long as you are honest on your application about the charge. You don't want it to be a surprise when they run your background check. We have accepted students with similar backgrounds if that makes you feel any better. I would encourage you to keep court documents, etc. if you have them because the medical board may want a copy/explanation of the charge when you apply for your license. Hope this helps!

I had an issue that I haven't seen addressed on any of the forums and was hoping you could shed some light on my issue. I will be applying for schools next year and have a DUI on my record. Is this going to keep me from getting licensed as a PA? I have a feeling I will still be accepted to a school, but am scared that I will pay all that money and not be able to get my license. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. 

@curioiusprepa If you've seeked out advice from the programs you're planning to apply to and they've confirmed that you'd be eligible for admission, it may help your chances of being more competitive IF that additional degree is relevant to applying to PA school. What I mean by this is that the degree should be challenging and should contain prerequisite courses (upper level biology and chemistry courses) for PA school if possible. Hope this helps!

Hi PA Admissions Director,

I am planning to go back for a second degree, which would be around 60 units to complete. My cGPA could be raised slightly above a 3.3. My sGPA may be around a 3.5. Would you recommed this?

• Upvote 1

@glopez Thanks for your question. Other things to seek out that enhance an application could be activities like leadership/volunteer positions. I'm unsure if you're still enrolled in school, but student clubs and organizations are a great way to get involved and pursue leadership positions. I know at Methodist our undergraduates have a student involvement office that not only helps with clubs and organizations but recommends volunteer experiences on campus and in the community. Another thing that could help your application is demonstrating that you've spent quality time with PAs. Some applicants will "shadow hop" from PA to PA and only spend maybe 8-10 hours with one PA in different settings. Although it's good and encouraged to experience how PAs fit in in different fields, it's beneficial to applicants to pick maybe 3 different fields and PAs and spend at least 50 or more hours with that PA. In my opinion, the PA will actually remember your name, but also help you form a more educated view about their position and role in the clinic.

Although you didn't touch on this in your question, a lot of students ask if international medical mission trips will enhance an application. Mission trips are a great experience and allow applicants to experience a totally different culture, which is always beneficial to your development. However, going on an international medical mission trip is not as rare as it once was. Remember, you may be able to experience the same type of need and cultural sensitivity in the rural and underserved areas of the US. That can be as eye opening as traveling half way across the world. Hope this helps!

@paadmissions

Besides getting a good GRE score, good GPA, and HCE hours. What sort of extracurricular activities do you suggest we get involved in that will strengthen our application profile? 

• Upvote 1

@paadmissions, 

Is it worth trying to reschedule an interview twice? I rescheduled an interview at a school due to an unavoidable family commitment, and the school was incredibly gracious about it. However, I just received an interview offer at my top choice school on the same day as the interview I rescheduled. It is a no brainer for me to attend the interview at my top choice, but I'd hate to lose the chance at the other school (I'll never know if it is the school that would have let me in!). I feel like it will make me look unreliable to ask to reschedule a second time, and that my chances of admission would be decreased anyways even if they let me reschedule-- should I just bow out gracefully, or try anyways?

Thank you so much for all your advice!

@paadmissions

I have submitted my caspa but am worried about one thing. My overall verified GPA was a 3.4 and overall science was a 3.3 but my BCP is only a 2.97. I have taken 79 credits worth of science courses though and most have been upper level. I have over 1500 hours and scored above a 300 on the gre. I'm just concerned that the BCP GPA will ruin my chances. Any input will be appreciated.

• Upvote 1

Hi, I have a quick question. I just looked at my GRE scores online on the ETS website a week after I took my GRE, so I am not sure if they are 100% official of not. My scores were 154V (63% below), 150Q (40% below), and 4.0A (56% below). I am happy with everything except for the percentile on the quant. When I took practice tests a 150 was usually above 50%. Will this hurt my chances with schools that want 50% or above, or will they just see that I am am above a 300? I was shocked to see how low the percentile was. The rest of my applicaiton is strong, just worried about the GRE now.

Thank you!

@jalines Thank you for your question. That's a nice problem to have :) I would reach out to your top choice and see if they can reschedule you on a different day since you've already made arrangements to attend the rescheduled interview. If they cannot accommodate you on a different day, you will need to make the decision as to which interview you will attend. I personally would be afraid to ask them to reschedule you again as they've already granted that request once. Hope this helps some. 

@paadmissions, 

Is it worth trying to reschedule an interview twice? I rescheduled an interview at a school due to an unavoidable family commitment, and the school was incredibly gracious about it. However, I just received an interview offer at my top choice school on the same day as the interview I rescheduled. It is a no brainer for me to attend the interview at my top choice, but I'd hate to lose the chance at the other school (I'll never know if it is the school that would have let me in!). I feel like it will make me look unreliable to ask to reschedule a second time, and that my chances of admission would be decreased anyways even if they let me reschedule-- should I just bow out gracefully, or try anyways?

Thank you so much for all your advice!

@marg193 Thank you for your question. I think your score is solid because our program focuses a little bit more on the overall score rather than the percentages. That said, it will depend on the program you're considering, but when I looked at 150 on the conversion chart (versus the old scores for the GRE), 150 is pretty solid. I would go ahead with submitting the scores and retake it only IF you're overly upset with the percentile and/or if the programs you're applying to have a hard requirement for percentiles. Hope this helps. 

Hi, I have a quick question. I just looked at my GRE scores online on the ETS website a week after I took my GRE, so I am not sure if they are 100% official of not. My scores were 154V (63% below), 150Q (40% below), and 4.0A (56% below). I am happy with everything except for the percentile on the quant. When I took practice tests a 150 was usually above 50%. Will this hurt my chances with schools that want 50% or above, or will they just see that I am am above a 300? I was shocked to see how low the percentile was. The rest of my applicaiton is strong, just worried about the GRE now.

Thank you!