Ask a PA Admissions Director

@llligsc Thank you for your questions. At least in our state I haven't heard much chatter about programs doing away with hours, but there may be a lot of programs that may be trending towards that, I'm just not aware. From our program's standpoint we require 500 hours of HCE so the stats you've provided would be competitive with our applicant pool. For those programs that require 1,000 hours, for example, I would assume you'll need to meet or exceed that requirement to be competitive regardless of your GPA and GRE scores. I hope this helps!

@PA admissions,

In your experience, and looking toward the future, how important is HCE? Seems that more and more schools are gearing away from the requirement. Let's say I am an applicant with low amount of HCE (600 hrs direct care Home Health) but still meeting min requirements and a high GPA 3.9 in Microbiology, will I fare better or worse compared to an applicant with lower grades but better HCE (say a med tech or EMT for example)? I realize this is program dependent, but if you could give me a general answer that would be great.

@curiousprepa Thank you for your question. Before you even move forward with your plan, I would consult the programs that interest you to make sure you are eligible for admission since you've been dismissed from a nursing program. Some programs, ours for example, do not consider applicants who have been dismissed from PA, medical or nursing school. Even if you do find a program that does not have that policy in place, I'm thinking that will definitely hinder your chances of being competitive. I hope this helps and best wishes.

Hi PA Admissions Director, are you wililng to look over the following stats?

Red flags on my PA application

• I currently have a GPA that is slightly above 3.0 on my CASPA.
  • I previously withdrew from a nursing program. I also failed out of another nursing program.

Things I plan to do for admissions

• I am planning to take about 24 credit of science courses, which will raise my GPA slightly above 3.10, I may even retake some of my courses to raise my GPA slightly above 3.20
  • I am planning to do work as a CNA to fulfill HCE experience
  • I plan to take the GRE
  • I also plan to shadow PAs and MDs

If I were to consider admissions into a PA program, then what else should I do to strengthen my application? Do you think I would have a good chance?

PA Admissions, could you look at my stats and tell me what you think about my candidacy for PA program interviews. 

Major: Bachelors of Science in Nursing (Graduating May 2015)

Cumulative GPA: 3.55

Science GPA: 3.42

HCE:

600 hours working a Nursing assistant at an Ortho/neuro floor

300 hours of nursing internship at ICU Trauma/Ortho Trauma

30 hours of PA shadowing at ICU Trauma / Trauma ER

LOR: one from the charge nurse at the place I work as nursing assistant, one from a Nursing Health Assessment professor and one from my nursing clinical instructor.

Classes: Bio (A), Chem I (A), Chem II (B), Phys 1&2 (A), Micro (A), Ochem (B), Immuno (B), Parasitology (B), Genetics (C, retook it and got a B), Anatomy C), Physio (B). 

I am pretty worried about my C for anatomy as it was purely my own fault rather than my inability to do well in the class. I can't take it this year because I'm still finishing up Nursing school and do not have time for it. However, if I don't get into any PA schools then I was thinking of retaking it in the summer. What do you think of my chances of even getting an interview? I also just turned 20 and I keep being told by people that my age is going to impact my chances.  What do you think? 

Thank you for your help! 

@clockwatching Thanks for your question.  I quickly calculated the sciences we would count for our program and you would be at a 3.25 prerequisite GPA. Keep in mind we also require OChem II, Biochem, Stats, Algebra, 2 psychology courses and medical terminology in addition to the classes you've listed, and other programs have other requirements besides just the biology and chemistry requirements you've listed--so your GPA could be higher than a 3.25. 3.25 is good, but the typical applicant pool, at least with our program, will have a higher prerequisite GPA average of around 3.4-3.6. To be competitive , I think you need to be in that range. We would also factor in GRE scores and your health care experience. I'm very careful to say that age is part of selection factors because technically that cannot be used against you. However, you need to make sure you're demonstrating maturity through your personal statement, letters of recommendation and your interview, if applicable. If you feel you need to take a year or more off to improve your grades and maybe work as a RN since you completed a nursing program, it may benefit you to have "real life" experiences that will help the maturation process professionally and also personally. Hope this helps!

PA Admissions, could you look at my stats and tell me what you think about my candidacy for PA program interviews. 

Major: Bachelors of Science in Nursing (Graduating May 2015)

Cumulative GPA: 3.55

Science GPA: 3.42

HCE:

600 hours working a Nursing assistant at an Ortho/neuro floor

300 hours of nursing internship at ICU Trauma/Ortho Trauma

30 hours of PA shadowing at ICU Trauma / Trauma ER

LOR: one from the charge nurse at the place I work as nursing assistant, one from a Nursing Health Assessment professor and one from my nursing clinical instructor.

Classes: Bio (A), Chem I (A), Chem II (B), Phys 1&2 (A), Micro (A), Ochem (B), Immuno (B), Parasitology (B), Genetics (C, retook it and got a B), Anatomy C), Physio (B). 

I am pretty worried about my C for anatomy as it was purely my own fault rather than my inability to do well in the class. I can't take it this year because I'm still finishing up Nursing school and do not have time for it. However, if I don't get into any PA schools then I was thinking of retaking it in the summer. What do you think of my chances of even getting an interview? I also just turned 20 and I keep being told by people that my age is going to impact my chances.  What do you think? 

Thank you for your help! 

Hello paadmissions...thank you for taking the time to answer questions!

I am a Chiropractor and I have been in practice for almost 10 years.  I am looking into changing careers, and am very interested in becoming a PA.

Between my undergraduate degree, and Chiropractic school, i have a majority of my pre-reqs, however, it has been more than 10 years since I have taken most of them.  I have emailed a couple of admission offices of programs that I am interested in, and they both said that because of my experience, I should not have to retake any of the classes, as the lowest grade I had was a C in Microbiology.  My GPA when I graduated undergrad was 3.3.  As of right now, I am still working full time, and will be until I make the transition back to school.

I am planning on taking the GRE...I would also like to take a genetics class, as one of the schools I am interested in requires it, but I'm having a difficult time finding a course I can take while working full time.  Are many PA programs open to online class credits?

I am also planning on shadowing PA's over the next year, and applying for the programs starting in 2016.

If you have any opinions about re-taking some of the pre-reqs, or any other advice for a non-traditional potential student, I would appreciate any thoughts you have!

thank you for your time!

Hi PA Admissions Director

I don't know if you remember me, I follow this forum very often and asked you a couple of questions before. I'm asking for some advice and feedback on my current situation.

I was getting ready to apply to PA programs this past April 2014. I was working as a CNA, shadowing PA and taking my prerequisites (AP 2 and Micro, stats and some other electives). However, there was a financial error on my school financial aid that messed up my plan (Their office awarded me with grants but later found out I was not eligible for, which I did not know until it was too late to drop them without W's grades). Long story short, my classes were dropped and I now have about 4 W's on my transcript for all these classes. I still want to be a PA and still want to apply, perhaps I am already late for this cycle application but I am hoping to finish my AP 2 and Microbiology at a county college for lower cost, I took AP 1 at university level and gotten a B+. I know some of the programs don't require AP 1+2 and Micro, but I took them because I wanted to apply to many programs. what do you think about my situation and if those W's would affect me greatly if I explain this in my essay for next year? 

GPA: 3.410 (B.A in Biochem)

sGPA: 3.3

1050 hrs of CNA in subacute unit

100 hrs of shadowing PA in emergency and pain medicine

taught piano privately for young kids for 7 years while I was in school

Volunteered in local churches for 10 years

research assistant for one semester 

Just some basic stats to overview, I really appreciate your time and efforts that you put in this forum to help me and other students!

Sincerely

ru2013

@PA Admissions director-

I recently touched base with you regarding a course that was poorly delivered and I recieved a C. The program that I applied to this cycle did not require this as a pre-req. I was advised to bring any transcripts from this summer to an interview if I get an interview. Should I enroll in the same course (different institution) again to show the admissions committee that I am attempting to prove I can do better with this material? 

Thanks!

@paadmissions

Hello paadmission,

I would like your expert opinion on my chances to be considered for PA school.  My overall GPA is a 3.14, sGPA 3.5 and pre req GPA is 3.8.  I have close to 10,000 hours of HCE working as an EMT, Paramedic.  I have approx 3000 volunteer hours from various organizations and 150 hours shadowing an ER PA.  I have my Bachelors degree and am continuing to take additional courses to make me more competitive.  I would appreciate your opinion and am open to any suggestions.

Thank you, 

hopeful PA student

@TATABox

We have nearly identical stats and wanted to give you an idea of what to expect. I found it to be more challenging than expected and one main reason was the cumulative GPA. I applied last cycle with very similar numbers and got a few interviews, but wait listed mostly and a few denials. Ultimately what I learned which lead to better chances was raising my cumulative GPA to a 3.2 and sGPA 3.7. Most feedback from programs suggested my cGPA was the sticking point. This cycle I have received multiple interviews and been accepted so you have a good shot based on science and experience. Just raise that cumulative and you should get interviews with a strong personal statement. Also look for programs that value experience and believe in the history and eveloution of the profession. I found my experience as told in my personal statement and during interviews to be compelling to get the vote of confidence from several adcom committee members because we are the profile the profession was designed for by Dr Stead at Duke. Unfortunately that history sometimes get lost in the matrix of the committee.

Good luck.

@paadmissions

Hello paadmission,

I would like your expert opinion on my chances to be considered for PA school.  My overall GPA is a 3.14, sGPA 3.5 and pre req GPA is 3.8.  I have close to 10,000 hours of HCE working as an EMT, Paramedic.  I have approx 3000 volunteer hours from various organizations and 150 hours shadowing an ER PA.  I have my Bachelors degree and am continuing to take additional courses to make me more competitive.  I would appreciate your opinion and am open to any suggestions.

Thank you, 

hopeful PA student

@ Medic

Wow thank you for your reply and feedback. That is very encouraging and I know that it is a tough road ahead of me. I can only put effort to improve and raise my GPA, I am already enrolled in a few courses this fall. Congratulations on being accepted and I will keep you posted.

@awh79 Thank you for your questions. I'm assuming that one online course is ok, but every program, unfortunately, has different opinions about online courses. That said, I think a lot of programs would be ok with one online course but you should research their policies carefully before enrolling in a class. For students who have not been in the classroom for several  years, I I usually recommend they make an effort to get back in the classroom as much as possible. There advantages and disadvantages to online courses so do everything you can to get the gears back in motion. You're obviously in an advanced medical field, but it never hurts to try adjust back to the classroom if you can. I hope this helps!

Hello paadmissions...thank you for taking the time to answer questions!

I am a Chiropractor and I have been in practice for almost 10 years.  I am looking into changing careers, and am very interested in becoming a PA.

Between my undergraduate degree, and Chiropractic school, i have a majority of my pre-reqs, however, it has been more than 10 years since I have taken most of them.  I have emailed a couple of admission offices of programs that I am interested in, and they both said that because of my experience, I should not have to retake any of the classes, as the lowest grade I had was a C in Microbiology.  My GPA when I graduated undergrad was 3.3.  As of right now, I am still working full time, and will be until I make the transition back to school.

I am planning on taking the GRE...I would also like to take a genetics class, as one of the schools I am interested in requires it, but I'm having a difficult time finding a course I can take while working full time.  Are many PA programs open to online class credits?

I am also planning on shadowing PA's over the next year, and applying for the programs starting in 2016.

If you have any opinions about re-taking some of the pre-reqs, or any other advice for a non-traditional potential student, I would appreciate any thoughts you have!

thank you for your time!

@ru2013 Thanks for the questions. I would definitely explain the W's in your personal statement because that would be a red flag when reviewing an application. Make sure your explanation of the situation is describe dispassionately (I know that may have made you just a little mad) as you've done in your post. Hope this helps!

Hi PA Admissions Director

I don't know if you remember me, I follow this forum very often and asked you a couple of questions before. I'm asking for some advice and feedback on my current situation.

I was getting ready to apply to PA programs this past April 2014. I was working as a CNA, shadowing PA and taking my prerequisites (AP 2 and Micro, stats and some other electives). However, there was a financial error on my school financial aid that messed up my plan (Their office awarded me with grants but later found out I was not eligible for, which I did not know until it was too late to drop them without W's grades). Long story short, my classes were dropped and I now have about 4 W's on my transcript for all these classes. I still want to be a PA and still want to apply, perhaps I am already late for this cycle application but I am hoping to finish my AP 2 and Microbiology at a county college for lower cost, I took AP 1 at university level and gotten a B+. I know some of the programs don't require AP 1+2 and Micro, but I took them because I wanted to apply to many programs. what do you think about my situation and if those W's would affect me greatly if I explain this in my essay for next year? 

GPA: 3.410 (B.A in Biochem)

sGPA: 3.3

1050 hrs of CNA in subacute unit

100 hrs of shadowing PA in emergency and pain medicine

taught piano privately for young kids for 7 years while I was in school

Volunteered in local churches for 10 years

research assistant for one semester 

Just some basic stats to overview, I really appreciate your time and efforts that you put in this forum to help me and other students!

Sincerely

ru2013

@rnfromAZ Eeesh..that's a tough question for me to answer since the course is not required. However, if I remember correctly it was a course that would be a good preparatory course for PA school. You may want to consider retaking it, but ultimately that decision will be up to you. Thanks!

@PA Admissions director-

I recently touched base with you regarding a course that was poorly delivered and I recieved a C. The program that I applied to this cycle did not require this as a pre-req. I was advised to bring any transcripts from this summer to an interview if I get an interview. Should I enroll in the same course (different institution) again to show the admissions committee that I am attempting to prove I can do better with this material? 

Thanks!

@tatabox Thank you for your questions. From our program's standpoint we would focus on your most recent work and what you've done to improve yourself since the beginning of your academic year. I'm assuming because of the lower overall GPA there may have been some hiccups in the beginning, but based on your prereq GPA for the programs you're applying to that an upward trend in performance is to be expected if I reviewed your transcripts. It sounds like @Medic has given some good advice since the stats are similar and his plan seemed to benefit him since he's been granted acceptance. Sounds like you're on the same path and hopefully that will work out in your favor as well. Best wishes!

@paadmissions

Hello paadmission,

Thank you, 

hopeful PA student

@PAAdmissions

Thank you for your answers!

The hardest part for me right now is finding time to get back in a class, as I am still working full time.  But I will make whatever effort I need to, as well as contacting some of the specific schools I am looking at to get their opinions.

Thank you again!

• Upvote 1

@PA Admissions Director

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I was very upset at first but I've learned my lesson. I hope to apply again next cycle while trying to gather my things together before next time. I went to a few open house for local pa programs around here and I was very optimistic about my chances. Unfortunately I couldn't apply this year. However, I think I learned a very big lesson to make sure everything runs smoothly. I will definitely explain the W's on my transcript and hopefully the committee will understand that it was not based on my academic performance, but rather a mistake that I've learned to prevent. Thanks PA Admissions Director!

• Upvote 1

Hello @paadmisions

My hat is off to you for making it to page 88 of this thread, the forum should send you a cake when you reach page 100. I have a very simple question. I noticed some PA programs offer dual degree in Master of Public health. This has led me to believe an applicant holding a bachelors in public health, having completed all required science courses, might have a shot at getting into a PA program. Not including other admission factors such as experience or test scores, how does a degree in Public Health appear on on an application? Thank you!

Greetings PAadmissions,

I want to ask if schools typically look at a whole application, or will look at GPA first and then toss it? I ask because I'm now 27, and incurred two Fs when I was 18 during freshmen year. I returned to school at 24 with the goal of becoming a PA. Without those Fs, my science GPA would be a 3.29. However, with those Fs, it's a 2.95 currently. I was under the impression PA admissions would look at my performance more since returning to school with a goal in mind, but now that I see that CASPA is just going to present them the 2.95 number, I'm worried my letters, statement, and transcripts wont even be read (all of which address my mistake made due to immaturity and lack of direction)

With those two Fs from when I was eighteen, I'd have a lot of confidence in my application. I go to a good university, would have a good science GPA (and overall, about 3.2, but it's 3.06 now), I think I have a great statement with great letters, and I have nearly 5000 hours of experience as an EMT in Harlem working for FDNY, plus more hours paid and volunteer elsewhere.

Seeing that 2.95 though makes me feel as though that's all not going to matter though. If i know that programs will at least look at my application and see for themselves, I'd feel a lot better and more confident.

Hey @paadmissions

I realized I have miscalculated and accidentally added 10 hours to one of my volunteer experiences (non patient contact.) Should I contact my schools by email, or phone? I'm not sure with the best way to proceed from here. I have already received an interview invite as well.

Thanks for your help.

I can no longer work at that position, but I have started a new volunteer position (that is not reported on CASPA)

@DNT1 Thanks for the questions and I suggest a chocolate cake since I'm a chocoholic ;) JK! Your question is a good one and I honestly don't know how much weight that would have when applying to those type of programs because it's more than likely a program specific opinion. My first reaction is yes, it would be an advantage because you have a very insightful view of public health and know "what you're getting into." I'm unsure of how long a dual degree may possibly extend your time in PA school since it may take an extra year or a few months to complete both degrees, but if it's something you're really interested in health education and promotion it seems like a good track to pursue. I especially think a MPH is helpful in the future should you ever want to go into PA education (or any type of medical education). Hope this helps!

Hello @paadmisions

My hat is off to you for making it to page 88 of this thread, the forum should send you a cake when you reach page 100. I have a very simple question. I noticed some PA programs offer dual degree in Master of Public health. This has led me to believe an applicant holding a bachelors in public health, having completed all required science courses, might have a shot at getting into a PA program. Not including other admission factors such as experience or test scores, how does a degree in Public Health appear on on an application? Thank you!

@dabba Thank you for your question. Those programs that have a little more "wiggle room" with overall GPAs can focus on your most recent work. There are some programs that have a firm cut off at 3.0. That said, I feel confident in saying that the prerequisite GPA and sometimes the science GPA need to be 3.4-3.6 to be competitive with the applicant pool I've seen thus far. I would reevaluate your prerequisites (sciences and general education requirements) to make sure they are strong or spot on,  if not exceeding, the averages for the programs you're applying to. I hope this helps!

Greetings PAadmissions,

I want to ask if schools typically look at a whole application, or will look at GPA first and then toss it? I ask because I'm now 27, and incurred two Fs when I was 18 during freshmen year. I returned to school at 24 with the goal of becoming a PA. Without those Fs, my science GPA would be a 3.29. However, with those Fs, it's a 2.95 currently. I was under the impression PA admissions would look at my performance more since returning to school with a goal in mind, but now that I see that CASPA is just going to present them the 2.95 number, I'm worried my letters, statement, and transcripts wont even be read (all of which address my mistake made due to immaturity and lack of direction)

With those two Fs from when I was eighteen, I'd have a lot of confidence in my application. I go to a good university, would have a good science GPA (and overall, about 3.2, but it's 3.06 now), I think I have a great statement with great letters, and I have nearly 5000 hours of experience as an EMT in Harlem working for FDNY, plus more hours paid and volunteer elsewhere.

Seeing that 2.95 though makes me feel as though that's all not going to matter though. If i know that programs will at least look at my application and see for themselves, I'd feel a lot better and more confident.

@whiskers Thanks for your questions. I would contact the programs that you've applied to via email to recognize your miscalculation and ask them to add it to your file. Hopefully, you have a contact at each program you've applied to. I honestly don't think 10 hours will hurt too much, but it's best to be honest. Thanks!

Hey @paadmissions

I realized I have miscalculated and accidentally added 10 hours to one of my volunteer experiences (non patient contact.) Should I contact my schools by email, or phone? I'm not sure with the best way to proceed from here. I have already received an interview invite as well.

Thanks for your help.

I can no longer work at that position, but I have started a new volunteer position (that is not reported on CASPA)

@tatbox You're welcome! I don't think we would count donating blood as volunteer but it's not going to hurt your application (in my opinion) if you were to  list it. I would prefer to see you actually volunteering with the ARC to help put on a blood drive to make more of an impact. Thanks!

@paadmissions

I wanted to thank you for your reply and I will continue to work hard. I was also curious to know if donating blood with the American Red Cross would be considered volunteer work.  

Thanks for your help!