3rd time applying. suggestions?

hey everyone,

so this will be my third year applying to PA school, and its beginning to become difficult in staying optimistic. This year I will be applying a lot earlier; I will be submitting my app in june rather than sept. I have almost 3000 HCE hours paid and unpaid as an ER Tech and EMT on a rescue squad. My GPA as of last year was 3.39 with my pre-req GPA at 3.27. This past year I interviewed at two schools and was wait listed at both. I emailed the directors to find out what I could do to improve myself. Both agree that my GPA was just a little on the lower end of competitive. So this year I am retaking A&P, I would retake more, but can't afford it. I also just received my NREMT-I. I have also given my personal statement a complete makeover. I was also aced to be on the planning committee for the Emergencies in Primary Care Symposium for Pas and NPs this year. I am applying to 9 schools this year, several of which I have applied to before. I am just wondering if I should keep at it; PA is my dream and I will not so easily let go of that. Any advice is much appreciated.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am just wondering if I should keep at it; PA is my dream and I will not so easily let go of that.

Sounds like you asked and answered your own question to me.

The only thing I noticed you didn't address was your interview skills. Could those be lacking? If so, practice! I found it incredibly helpful to actually verbalize answers to common questions like, "Why do you want to be a PA?" I'm not saying have a scripted speech planned for everything, just a couple of key points you'd like to hit while answering out loud.

Good luck!

They interviewed you with the same GPA that they rejected you. Did you bug them when you were waitlisted? You should have called them every few weeks and let them know you want to go there. That's what I did and it worked.

They interviewed you with the same GPA that they rejected you. Did you bug them when you were waitlisted? You should have called them every few weeks and let them know you want to go there. That's what I did and it worked.

Can you explain how you bugged them? Like introduced yourself each time and then ask them for the status? Or did you persuade them that you want in each time you called?

Your stats seem okay to me. Not highly competitive, but your HCE makes up for that for the most part. As Lewis alluded to, I would rethink your interview strategy. Obviously you have what it takes to get an interview. You have the passion from what your saying... and from my experience, you really need zone in on your passion and portray that to adcoms. Some people say practice, practice practice interview skills. I think otherwise. Interviews are nothing short of a conversation. You hold conversations every day, and I am sure you have talked with people about your ambition to be a PA. I was very ambitious my first year, every patient I talked with knew I wanted to be a PA. When it came to the interview, I was soooo worried about what they would ask and my preparation for answers that I lost touch with my passion for the field. I was waitlisted my first year and accepted my second year applying to two top schools. I can attribute that mostly to my interview. I saw the interview as just another conversation with a patient, and really honed in on my passion for the field. I think that you need that as a foundation to answer questions, and once you can take that into an interview with the same mindset as when you talk to your relatives or patients, the questions come easy, rather than fumbling through the practice set of questions that you nailed down before the interview. Know the praograms history, mission statement and curriculum and use that to your advantage. FInd out if they have residency programs, or focus on a certain specialty or have interest in international rotations.. whatever floats your boat.

Just my thoughts.

I just would call asking something, like about sending them updated transcripts, etc, and then at the end I'd tell them how much I want to go! :). I emailed mostly, but called twice as well.

I've posted this before, and I think at one time I was the "poster child of the re-applicant", but I also applied three times before I ultimately got into school. After I was rejected the second time, what I did was sit down and make a list of the things that I needed to accomplish in a year's time (or even less, considering the application cycle). I accomplished most of those goals, while re-applying. The other thing I focused on was practicing my interviewing skills- I came to realize that while I could interview for a job, and could socialize just well, something about interviewing for the rest of my life made my brain go mush. So for myself, practice interviewing was extremely helpful and gave me confidence. Others here have said NOT to practice- I say you have to look at yourself truthfully and think about how those interviews went- just having a good friend/sympathetic superior at a job who's willing to work with you can help you a lot with how you come across in an interview-like setting.

It looks like you've made quite a few changes to help bolster your app- exactly what you need to do- show improvement

Best of luck. It CAN be done. And it's absolutely worth it

The schools that I have interviewed with have said i interviewed well. And I don't know how to figure out if a school focuses on GPA vs HCE?

I had asked our admins at one time if we could do a list that separates the schools out but it would be futile since schools are changing their requirements constantly....this is b/c the PANCE has b/c VERY difficult and most schools want students that are high GPAers now...it reflects better on the school when that school has a high pass PANCE rate..

Well I'm applying to a couple schools where this will be there second class of their program so hopefully I'll have more of a chance there. But during my interviews I usually have answers ready for certain questions and try to just be honest with others. But its hard not to get nervous since its the most important interview of my life.

Well I'm applying to a couple schools where this will be there second class of their program so hopefully I'll have more of a chance there. But during my interviews I usually have answers ready for certain questions and try to just be honest with others. But its hard not to get nervous since its the most important interview of my life.

The other thing I focused on was practicing my interviewing skills- I came to realize that while I could interview for a job, and could socialize just well, something about interviewing for the rest of my life made my brain go mush. So for myself, practice interviewing was extremely helpful and gave me confidence. Others here have said NOT to practice- I say you have to look at yourself truthfully and think about how those interviews went- just having a good friend/sympathetic superior at a job who's willing to work with you can help you a lot with how you come across in an interview-like setting.

It looks like you've made quite a few changes to help bolster your app- exactly what you need to do- show improvement

I totally agree. I also applied three times before getting in. Each year I continued to take classes and when I received an interview invite I practiced with those who I knew woud give me HONEST feeedback regarding my performance. So, my advice is to continue to take upper-level bio classes (and ace them) and practice your interview skills when you get the invite. Good luck!

The other thing I focused on was practicing my interviewing skills- I came to realize that while I could interview for a job, and could socialize just well, something about interviewing for the rest of my life made my brain go mush. So for myself, practice interviewing was extremely helpful and gave me confidence. Others here have said NOT to practice- I say you have to look at yourself truthfully and think about how those interviews went- just having a good friend/sympathetic superior at a job who's willing to work with you can help you a lot with how you come across in an interview-like setting.

I totally agree. I also applied three times before getting in. Each year I continued to take classes and when I received an interview invite I practiced with those who I knew woud give me HONEST feeedback regarding my performance. So, my advice is to continue to take upper-level bio classes (and ace them) and practice your interview skills when you get the invite. Good luck!

• Administrator

I got in my second time.

But you're saying two different things here:

1) You can't afford to re-take prerequisites, and

2) PA school is your current biggest goal in life.

Both of those simply cannot be true at the same time. If #1 is true, you are wasting your time, because you can't afford PA school if you can't afford to retake prerequisites. If #2 is true, you simply haven't prioritized funding retaking prerequisites. It's obviously ideal to start off PA school with $100k in the bank, but it's probably far more common to start PA school horrendously in debt. Others have worked insane hours while scraping money together, taking classes, and getting A's.

Which of the two statements is true--or, if you prefer, truer? Adjust your life accordingly once you have the answer.

• Administrator

I got in my second time.

Both of those simply cannot be true at the same time. If #1 is true, you are wasting your time, because you can't afford PA school if you can't afford to retake prerequisites. If #2 is true, you simply haven't prioritized funding retaking prerequisites. It's obviously ideal to start off PA school with $100k in the bank, but it's probably far more common to start PA school horrendously in debt. Others have worked insane hours while scraping money together, taking classes, and getting A's.

Which of the two statements is true--or, if you prefer, truer? Adjust your life accordingly once you have the answer.

• Administrator

I got in my second time.

the only reason I can only afford to retake one pre-req at a time is because i cannot get financial aid unless I am a full time student. And I cannot be a full time student while working also. I'm retaking some pre-reqs, but not as many as I'd like. When I go to PA school I'll be able to get more loans

the only reason I can only afford to retake one pre-req at a time is because i cannot get financial aid unless I am a full time student. And I cannot be a full time student while working also. I'm retaking some pre-reqs, but not as many as I'd like. When I go to PA school I'll be able to get more loans

Archived