Licensing Question

He can't travel internationally?  Did he lose his passport in this process or what?

I know nothing of the case other than what you've written, but it sounds like your friend may have some traits to work on. If so, he should use this whole episode to change his life. Taking something when you think no one is looking is not a ticket for success in a career that values integrity.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 6:11 PM, UGoLong said:

He can't travel internationally?  Did he lose his passport in this process or what?

I know nothing of the case other than what you've written, but it sounds like your friend may have some traits to work on. If so, he should use this whole episode to change his life. Taking something when you think no one is looking is not a ticket for success in a career that values integrity.provided so he could have 

Edited by coleworld8123

No offense, this whole thing sounds shady.

Bottom line - don't do stupid things.

I would agree with UGoLong that this person needs to have a Come to Glory moment and make some life changes.

I have no idea what this would do to a PA licensing issue - as a preceptor, educator and employer - I hope this person can overcome this and acts a bit more like a mature, ethical adult on a regular basis.

Folks need to consider their actions BEFORE doing them and grow up a bit more before entering a profession of potentially life altering/ life threatening consequences and responsibilities. 

Good Grief

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Reality Check 2 said:

No offense, this whole thing sounds shady.

Bottom line - don't do stupid things.

I would agree with UGoLong that this person needs to have a Come to Glory moment and make some life changes.

I have no idea what this would do to a PA licensing issue - as a preceptor, educator and employer - I hope this person can overcome this and acts a bit more like a mature, ethical adult on a regular basis.

Folks need to consider their actions BEFORE doing them and grow up a bit more before entering a profession of potentially life altering/ life threatening consequences and responsibilities. 

Good Grief

Thanks for your response. I am not sure how it is shady, but I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I agree this is a profession of a mature, ethic adult and integrity is at the basis of this profession. Just trying to see if anyone has been in a similar situation and if this will affect his licensure even though it was not criminal. Genuinely trying to get an answer on if this will affect his licensure, not a lecture on if someone thinks this is shady. 

It's an academic violation apparently (if he's on probation with restrictions) and these are supposed to be disclosed in your CASPA application, as I recall. I suspect this whole thing is less of a "licensing issue" than it is getting in PA school to begin with. The "I was framed" defense is probably not a particularly fruitful way to overcome that. Hence the "Come to Glory" comment in Reality's comment.

A friend of mine was picked up on a marijuana sale 30 years before he went to PA school but it was something he had to disclose and explain.

On 8/20/2019 at 9:58 PM, UGoLong said:

It's an academic violation apparently (if he's on probation with restrictions) and these are supposed to be disclosed in your CASPA application, as I recall. I suspect this whole thing is less of a "licensing issue" than it is getting in PA school to begin with. The "I was framed" defense is probably not a particularly fruitful way to overcome that. Hence the "Come to Glory" comment in Reality's comment.

A friend of mine was picked up on a marijuana sale 30 years before he went to PA school but it was something he had to disclose and explain.

Edited by coleworld8123

He has to be honest with the specific questions asked on the license applications.  Some ask if you were ever put on probation or dismissed from the school.  If they ask about probation at the school he has to answer affirmatively If they ask about criminal convictions it does not appear that he does have to admit the incident.  If he was ever charged criminally or arrested and they ask that, he will have to answer specifically.  If he cannot figure out what they are asking he should retain an attorney to ask and receive documentation in a document called an opinion letter from the attorney.   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, rpackelly said:

He has to be honest with the specific questions asked on the license applications.  Some ask if you were ever put on probation or dismissed from the school.  If they ask about probation at the school he has to answer affirmatively If they ask about criminal convictions it does not appear that he does have to admit the incident.  If he was ever charged criminally or arrested and they ask that, he will have to answer specifically.  If he cannot figure out what they are asking he should retain an attorney to ask and receive documentation in a document called an opinion letter from the attorney.   

thanks for the reply. do you think it will hurt his chances on getting a license? he was not charged or arrest or anything criminally.

Depends on the questions the Board asks.  I think about 50% ask about academic or professional probation, dismissals from school, etc.  

Almost everyone without a felony or drug/alcohol conviction eventually gets licensed but it generally adds a couple of months to the process.  In California some are awarded an initial probationary license.    If the questions have to be answered “yes” it is helpful to get an attorney to help draft your reply, advise what paperwork regarding the problem must or should be included, etc.  Keep this on file because it will be needed subsequently for privileging, etc.   Some states are more lenient.  The last time I saw a Michigan license application it did not mention professional school probation, etc.  Since this would not show up on a criminal background check, that would not be a problem.  States like Florida and California have pretty extensive questionnaires.  Just go to the Board site in your state and download the application.   The lawyer will say, be rigorously truthful in answering the questions, but do not volunteer information that is not asked.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rpackelly said:

Depends on the questions the Board asks.  I think about 50% ask about academic or professional probation, dismissals from school, etc.  

Almost everyone without a felony or drug/alcohol conviction eventually gets licensed but it generally adds a couple of months to the process.  In California some are awarded an initial probationary license.    If the questions have to be answered “yes” it is helpful to get an attorney to help draft your reply, advise what paperwork regarding the problem must or should be included, etc.  Keep this on file because it will be needed subsequently for privileging, etc.   Some states are more lenient.  The last time I saw a Michigan license application it did not mention professional school probation, etc.  Since this would not show up on a criminal background check, that would not be a problem.  States like Florida and California have pretty extensive questionnaires.  Just go to the Board site in your state and download the application.   The lawyer will say, be rigorously truthful in answering the questions, but do not volunteer information that is not asked.  

He downloaded the application and they do ask about it for the state he is trying to get licensed in. he said he talked to an attorney that specializes in this stuff and said he shouldn't have a problem getting his license, it just may take some explaining. Thanks for the help!