Cosignatures - Supervising Physician - controlled substances

Hello everyone!  Haven't been on here in a while...  I'm hoping those of you with your DEA license can give me some guidance please, esp. if in primary care, and better yet if you are in Florida. I took the updated course, as my employer has now agreed to reimburse for the license application. There were some points in the course (taken through FMA) that I didn't know if I entirely understand, regarding supervising physician.
--> Are we supposed to have a supervising physician name printed on every controlled substance Rx? It sounded like that from the course, but I'm not sure if I misunderstood. I work with an NP who notes that she doesn't have a supervising physician name on any of her benzo Rxs (4), but only on the pain meds (2). However, as we all know, the rules vary from state to state between NPs and PAs... So for, lets say, ativan (sched 4) -
1) Would the printed Rx on control paper have to have both my name and the supervising physicians name?
2) On that same Rx, if it has to have SP name, does it also need to be signed by the SP?
.... The whole point of my organization wanting me to get this DEA license is so that the SPs do not have to be bothered and pulled each time I see a patient who needs a renewal on those meds. So I'm just trying to figure out if it is even worth it to get it. While they are now reimbursing, it is first out of my pocket until reimbursed, and that large sum of money on a screen at checkout just makes me a little nervous, lol. Also, I don't want them to pay all of that when the purpose of them paying for it will not be fulfilled. 
Thanks in advance. 

As you've pointed out, each state has different requirements.  Texas for example requires the physician name on all prescriptions as well as patient's address (bet very few put the patient's address on their prescriptions).  If you're using an EMR you might want to see how the prescription is transmitted and whether or not the system will process a controlled substance prescription from a non-physician.  If you're the one writing the prescription, thus needing a DEA number, then it defeats the purpose of having it if the physician has to sign a physical prescription.

Archived