Pain management salary

I made a salary of 95k plus 40-50k annual bonus based on production. Right out of school. But it was PM&R and pain sub. Lots of procedures. I was on pace to hit the 50k bonus but quit before my first year. I hated the job.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

I can't think of enough money to work in that type of practice.

yup. I feel that way about a few specialties:

pain clinic

retail medicine

cosmetic derm

occupational med.

std clinic

wt. loss clinic

hey, different strokes for different folks. there are some folks who probably can't imagine doing em.

there are certain specialties that I would not want to practice in but I do not see the purpose in itemizing them which appears disrespectful to our colleagues who do practice in those specialties. Everyone has their reasons for practicing where they do. And no I do not work in any that were mentioned just plain old Family Medicine.

there are certain specialties that I would not want to practice in but I do not see the purpose in itemizing them which appears disrespectful to our colleagues who do practice in those specialties. Everyone has their reasons for practicing where they do. And no I do not work in any that were mentioned just plain old Family Medicine.

Oh I forgot add "Family Medicine" to my list! "Lighten up Francis" voicing one's preference isn't disrespect. IMHO dissing someone's opinion is. Disagreement is not disrespect.

Being doing pain med for 5 years. It is fun, exciting, challenging, engaging. Just like anything else- some like it others don't. It really depends on your office and supervising physician. Those that do production bonus typically aren't happy because they have to kill them selves to get that production bonus. I don't have a production bonus. Consider the idea of production bonus in pain management...15 min is already not enough time for most patients in any specialty let alone pain management. You are likely providing schedule II drugs- come one people ONE step below cocaine/heroin/crystal meth when it comes to addiction possibilities. You cannot effectively treat pain management patients <10 min without feeling like a pill mill or procedure shop. We treat our narcotics agreement as gold- you screw up see ya later. It is also exhilarating discharging patients (is that weird?) but also you can impact and change their life- possibly save it from likely death associated with use/misuse of illicits and prescribed opioids. I had a lady with cocaine, heroin, and THC last week- she is now receiving help from psych and has new outlook on life. It depends on what you put into pain management. Consider pain as a disease process also. Pain is the most debilitating symptom. Remember opioids are not the only treatment! Chronic pain does not equal chronic opioids!

Being doing pain med for 5 years. It is fun, exciting, challenging, engaging. Just like anything else- some like it others don't. It really depends on your office and supervising physician. Those that do production bonus typically aren't happy because they have to kill them selves to get that production bonus. I don't have a production bonus. Consider the idea of production bonus in pain management...15 min is already not enough time for most patients in any specialty let alone pain management. You are likely providing schedule II drugs- come one people ONE step below cocaine/heroin/crystal meth when it comes to addiction possibilities. You cannot effectively treat pain management patients <10 min without feeling like a pill mill or procedure shop. We treat our narcotics agreement as gold- you screw up see ya later. It is also exhilarating discharging patients (is that weird?) but also you can impact and change their life- possibly save it from likely death associated with use/misuse of illicits and prescribed opioids. I had a lady with cocaine, heroin, and THC last week- she is now receiving help from psych and has new outlook on life. It depends on what you put into pain management. Consider pain as a disease process also. Pain is the most debilitating symptom. Remember opioids are not the only treatment! Chronic pain does not equal chronic opioids!

No argument from me on your post except to clearly state, I do not write for chronic pain meds ever and my SP is quite clear in this stance. We do send/ offer referals to Pain Management, a very large majority of those seeking pain meds, refuse this offer or attempt to negotiate for narcs as part of the process.

No argument from me on your post except to clearly state, I do not write for chronic pain meds ever and my SP is quite clear in this stance. We do send/ offer referals to Pain Management, a very large majority of those seeking pain meds, refuse this offer or attempt to negotiate for narcs as part of the process.

I agree, and I'm sure he's well-aware of that as well, as suggested by a "narcotics agreement treated as gold". in fact, it offers anothe facet in the ongoing "discussion" over getting a rx for opioids from the ED- if they have a pain management contract, it can be easily verified. I've contacted plenty of PCP's from the ED about their patients being in the ED for "pain", and turns out they're violating their contract.

The reality is that "SOMEONE" has to see these patients. Family practice has/is getting out of the pain mangt business and Ortho is all but gone. Where do people with chronic pain turn? I say thank goodness for those that feel lead to do pain management, and do it the right way.

The reality is that "SOMEONE" has to see these patients. Family practice has/is getting out of the pain mangt business and Ortho is all but gone. Where do people with chronic pain turn? I say thank goodness for those that feel lead to do pain management, and do it the right way.

agreed. just because some folks don't like a specialty doesn't mean that it isn't needed or valuable. different strokes, etc

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone has any idea what would be fair hourly payment in pain management clinic for a PA with 5 years ED experience (in Virginia)?

I see that beside some mini-flaming.. No one really answered your q... I do some pain management and would not work for less than $62.50 per hour in the New York/ New Jersey area...That is multimodal pain management..

Archived