2019-2020 cycle applicants. Let's talk!

On 7/23/2019 at 5:06 PM, noorie03 said:

hey everyone! 

I just submitted last week and my application was verified yesterday! 

I'm so so so excited but constantly doubting myself. I have a 3.4 overall and a 3.0 science. 

I worked as a medical scribe for the past two and a half years so have well over 3000k hours. 

I was also a physical therapy aide for 1 summer and got 128 hours from that. 

I have about 88 hours shadowing a physician assistant. 

3 LORS and a whole bunch of hope. lol

I have very similar stats to you! Hoping and praying this time works out for me. Best of luck to you!

Hi everyone! 

I just sent in applications to schools and i am wondering if you guys think that I have a chance in being accepted and if you have any recommendations on how to go about the whole process! I hope everyone does well!

my stats are: 

BA in sociology 

cGPA: 3.09 

sGPA: 3.11 

PCE: over 10,000 as a CNA at children’s hospital, a medical case worker at the loca County Jail, a health services counselor at a group home for foster youth, a staff assistant at a psychiatric facility, a home health aid, and a program assistant for kids with behavioral problems and drug addiction 

volunteer-about 500 hours as a tutor to homeless youth, an advocate for foster youth, and with COPE health scholars 

shadowing: PA at an urgent care for about 70 hours, Doctor of audiology for 24 hours, PA at the urgent care in county jail for 8 hours 

LOR: one from a PA, one from an MD, one from an LCSW, one from a professor and one from a supervisor 

GRE: verbal: 148 quant: 152 analytical: 4.5 

My personal statement describes how I want to work with the homeless and underserved population 

please let me know if anyone has input! Thanks guy! 

Edited by Acceptmeinschool

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/13/2019 at 8:17 PM, laurennicolem said:

I'm applying for the first time as soon as the CASPA opens in April! Graduated with my bachelors in '17, spent a year as a med tech to pay off my student loans and get 2,200 hours of HCE. I got a job as a med surg PCA back in May and I'll have about 1,800 of PCE by April. Planning to apply to ~15+ schools (I really want to get in somewhere!). I'm in CT so I'll be applying to a lot of northeast schools, would love to know if anyone in my area has plans to attend any open houses!

Hey! I’m applying next cycle and we have a somewhat similar story. How did everything work out (if you don’t mind me asking)?

On 7/31/2019 at 1:34 PM, MLPALA said:

Hi everyone! 

I just sent in applications to schools and i am wondering if you guys think that I have a chance in being accepted and if you have any recommendations on how to go about the whole process! I hope everyone does well!

my stats are: 

BA in sociology 

PCE: over 10,000 as a CNA at children’s hospital, a medical case worker at the loca County Jail, a health services counselor at a group home for foster youth, a staff assistant at a psychiatric facility, a home health aid, and a program assistant for kids with behavioral problems and drug addiction 

volunteer-about 500 hours as a tutor to homeless youth, an advocate for foster youth, and with COPE health scholars 

shadowing: PA at an urgent care for about 70 hours, Doctor of audiology for 24 hours, PA at the urgent care in county jail for 8 hours 

LOR: one from a PA, one from an MD, one from an LCSW, one from a professor and one from a supervisor 

My personal statement describes how I want to work with the homeless and underserved population 

Hi! I thought I'd chime in, because it seems like you and I have very similar backgrounds. I am a first cycle applicant, recently accepted. I also have worked most of my career with underserved populations (refugees/immigrants, drug users, people living with HIV, homeless individuals, etc), and I focused my personal statement on this. I think that your experience will really set you apart from the crowd. You've got a fair amount of shadowing hours, so that's good! Your GRE is on the lower end (mine was as well), however, your writing score is good. I think the only thing that might trip you up are the GPAs. Were there any subjects that you particularly struggled with? It might be useful to address those head on in your application. Best of luck!

Edited by CGM717

On 7/31/2019 at 10:34 AM, MLPALA said:

Hi everyone! 

my stats are: 

BA in sociology 

Your PCE may help you, but there are very few people who the schools do accept with low GPA's like this, so you would have to really stand out in the rest of your app. You have a great overall application. I would possibly retake GRE for a higher verbal score. I had a cgpa of 3.44 and that was low compared to most people who were accepted. A lot of people at my interviews had cumulative and science GPA >3.5

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone! I am a second year applicant in applying to PA schools this cycle! I am from Hawaii and this would be my first time attending schools in the mainland (if I was ever accepted).

Here are my stats:

cGPA:3.4

sGpa:3.2

GRE: isn’t that great but majority of the schools I applied to does not require the GRE

PCE: 6000 hours as a phlebotomist 

PA/MD shadowing hours: 300 hours

Volunteer hours: 2000 hours

i applied to 14 schools this cycle and waiting to hear back on 9 more 🙏🏻 Hopefully I’ll get a shot this cycle 🙏🏻

Edited by emjaye

If anyone is interested in programs in the Chicago/Michigan/Ohio area, then you may want to check out this upcoming event on 9/28/19. There will be a bunch of program directors from the local surrounding area to answer questions, as well as job recruiters for those looking to up their PCE hours. It is also a great opportunity to network with other pre-PAs, PA-S, and PA-C and receive advice about your application. The event is inclusive of all!

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/thepac-takes-detroit-tickets-70091765357

ThePAC Takes Detroit.jpg

• 3 months later...

These questions may be stupid but...

I don’t have anyone who’s even made it past college to ask for help. I’ve applied for the “Cycle 19”. I’m not sure what that means exactly... So here are my questions. If you know the answer please help out a first gen Grad School applicant and share your knowledge!!! 

• Having applied for Cycle 19, if I were accepted as a student somewhere, when would I start school? This year (2020) or next year (2021)?

• Do I need work experience in a health related field or will my already acquired shadowing experiences and a health internship alongside a doctor suffice?

19 minutes ago, Karapjack said:

These questions may be stupid but...

I don’t have anyone who’s even made it past college to ask for help. I’ve applied for the “Cycle 19”. I’m not sure what that means exactly... So here are my questions. If you know the answer please help out a first gen Grad School applicant and share your knowledge!!! 

• Having applied for Cycle 19, if I were accepted as a student somewhere, when would I start school? This year (2020) or next year (2021)?

• Do I need work experience in a health related field or will my already acquired shadowing experiences and a health internship alongside a doctor suffice?

It really depends on programs when your start date is. For the most part of you applied for 19-20 cycle you could start January 2020 up until fall/winter 2020, if you were accepted in this current cycle (caspa cycles open April 2019-close early April 2020, but each school has their own deadlines). 

The consensus is most schools have formed their cohorts around December-March 2020 for this current cycle. But there are programs that are outliers like one local program interviews applicants from the 19 cycle this summer 2020 for spots in January 2021 cohort.

The best piece of advice is to contact the programs and find out when semester the programs start for each cohort. Typically it’s on the programs PA site in the FAQ section. 

As for PCE I’m not sure what you do in your internship but some programs may not count the experience if it’s associated with obtaining a license or degree. Like if you were doing your clinicals for becoming an MA they don’t count those hours because it’s required for your current program.  Shadowing is always good but not counted for PCE. You would need a job with direct patient care experience with a minimum of 1000hours to apply to most schools. The more hours you have, the more competitive you are with of course your personal statement, GPA, extracurricular activities, LOR; etc. 

On 7/31/2019 at 1:34 PM, MLPALA said:

Hi everyone! 

my stats are: 

BA in sociology 

What schools did you apply to? I'm looking to apply next cycle. 

On 1/14/2020 at 6:32 AM, MedIsLifePA said:

What schools did you apply to? I'm looking to apply next cycle. 

I applied to USC, Loma Linda, Marshall B. Ketchum, Charles Drew, SCU, Monterrey Bay and a couple out of state schools but I have not heard anything for an interview at this time.