Cold calls/emails from new grads looking for jobs - annoying or good for employing?

Cold calls/emails from new grads looking for jobs  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Cold calls/emails from new grads looking for jobs - opinions please!

• Annoying invasion of privacy. No thanks.
    • If they went to my alma mater I'm not that bothered, otherwise it's a little weird
    • No problem at all - happy to help and it shows real initiative on their part

I'm about 3.5 months away from graduation. Recently, an advisor from our school came to talk to our class about finding our first jobs. He recommended going on LinkedIn, looking up former grads from our program who are employed where we'd like to work, and calling them or sending them emails asking for advice on getting hired, even if we don't know them from Adam. I feel a little weird about doing this, and I want to know what the general consensus is on this one. 

I am happy to help when I can. I know that things are better now, but when I graduated it was a nightmare finding a job. I almost considered once scheduling myself to see a local physician as a patient, and then use the time to beg him for a job. I didn't.

But here is one thing that I can't understand. I work in a hospital where my wife is an administrator, so I know a lot about recruitment here than most. They have had several jobs for PAs or NPs and they almost never get a PA applicant. They have given up on PAs and often only advertise with NP groups. I was frustrated when my own clinic partner said he wanted a PA and I just found out yesterday that he had about 5 NP applicants and no PA applicants, so now he is going to consider one of the NPs.

We live in one of the most beautiful places in the country. It is hard to imagine why no PA wants to work here. I literally put a pin in a globe of the world trying to find the perfect place to live and it was here. Anyway, I'm just venting as I was looking forward to having another PA in the office.

I'm about 3.5 months away from graduation. Recently, an advisor from our school came to talk to our class about finding our first jobs. He recommended going on LinkedIn, looking up former grads from our program who are employed where we'd like to work, and calling them or sending them emails asking for advice on getting hired, even if we don't know them from Adam. I feel a little weird about doing this, and I want to know what the general consensus is on this one. 

Many new grads don’t know very many working PAs, other than the ones they shadowed or had as preceptors. And PAs for the most part don’t mind helping out the newbies, After all, someone probably helped them once upon a time.

There is nothing wrong with politely asking for help or advice, especially from former graduates of your program. It may initially feel weird to you, but don’t let that stop you.

The worst thing that can happen is that the stranger won’t help you, which is exactly what happens if you don’t ask.

And, when the time comes when someone asks you for help, remember how you are feeling right now.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have often counselled people who complained about difficulty finding a job to network network network. This includes leveraging any and all contacts you have. I think the best thing is to drop in, ask to speak to whomever or the office manager or the hiring authority, and if you can have a few minutes of their time great...if you can't leave a copy of your CV and cover letter. I suspect there are more unadvertised positions than advertised ones.

I am happy to help.  I think that is the most disappointing thing about our profession today.  Over the last 25 years I have seen a massive change in how PA's interact with each other.  When I first got out, if you met a PA it was like you were instant life-long friends.  It was great.  Now, I witness PA's F'ing each other over time and time again.  All I can figure out is that the job market has tightened so much that everyone is tense.  Or maybe it's just a millennial thing?  I am still best friends with a lot of my classmates, but the newer PA's will stab your ass right in the back if they think it would further their career.  Something utterly unheard of when I got out.

Point being, I am always ready and willing to help.

yup, I get cold calls and emails all the tix, and like Rev, I try to convince new grads NOT to come to my area as there are 3, soon to be 4, local programs here churning out lots of folks destined to work at crappy jobs like zoomcare because they can't find anything else.

On 1/10/2019 at 10:17 PM, jmj11 said:

I am happy to help when I can. I know that things are better now, but when I graduated it was a nightmare finding a job. I almost considered once scheduling myself to see a local physician as a patient, and then use the time to beg him for a job. I didn't.

But here is one thing that I can't understand. I work in a hospital where my wife is an administrator, so I know a lot about recruitment here than most. They have had several jobs for PAs or NPs and they almost never get a PA applicant. They have given up on PAs and often only advertise with NP groups. I was frustrated when my own clinic partner said he wanted a PA and I just found out yesterday that he had about 5 NP applicants and no PA applicants, so now he is going to consider one of the NPs.

We live in one of the most beautiful places in the country. It is hard to imagine why no PA wants to work here. I literally put a pin in a globe of the world trying to find the perfect place to live and it was here. Anyway, I'm just venting as I was looking forward to having another PA in the office.

New grad (December) here who has been aggressively applying for the last six months with no luck. I’d love to move to a beautiful part of the country to work for a hospital. If you guys are seriously looking for a PA please do message me. I have letters of reference from preceptors and am very eager to move somewhere new. 

I, unfortunately, have become acutely and seriously ill (typing from a ICU step down unit) so I will give you this lead while I can. I could try and answer personal questions once you have looked at the official site. Go here.  Best of luck, Mike

PS: I just saw that they are calling this a part-time position. That is negotiable and that is probably why they haven't had any responses from PAs.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/12/2019 at 1:26 PM, Cideous said:

I am happy to help.  I think that is the most disappointing thing about our profession today.  Over the last 25 years I have seen a massive change in how PA's interact with each other.  When I first got out, if you met a PA it was like you were instant life-long friends.  It was great.  Now, I witness PA's F'ing each other over time and time again.  All I can figure out is that the job market has tightened so much that everyone is tense.  Or maybe it's just a millennial thing?  I am still best friends with a lot of my classmates, but the newer PA's will stab your ass right in the back if they think it would further their career.  Something utterly unheard of when I got out.

Point being, I am always ready and willing to help.

I feel mostly the same but their a few PAs in my area (some of whom I have worked with) who a truly an embarrassment to us.  I don’t believe their work ups or Dx.  I don’t advocate for them.  I will not throw the, under the bus, back t I surely do not think they should be PAs and am not afraid to tell someone to get a second opinion    Sorry bit with our growth we have gotten some (few) crappy providers.  Same as md,do,np....

On 1/14/2019 at 11:17 AM, jmj11 said:

I, unfortunately, have become acutely and seriously ill (typing from a ICU step down unit) so I will give you this lead while I can. I could try and answer personal questions once you have looked at the official site. Go here.  Best of luck, Mike

PS: I just saw that they are calling this a part-time position. That is negotiable and that is probably why they haven't had any responses from PAs.

Good heavens feel better!!!!

Archived