On a lighter note not having to do with admissions...

How is this for perfect timing?  Texas has gone to a biannual license renewal which I just submitted my renewal for this week prior to my 8/31 expiration so the renewal will be valid through 8/31/20.  In my current position to qualify for a pension I need to have been employed for five full academic sessions as of 9/1/20 which I will have met.  Anyone see the issue here?  I'll have to renew my license for two years to work one week (work through 9/4/20 just to be generous).  We've got all these folks talking about getting in and here I am trying to squeeze out the back door.  Go figure...

1 hour ago, ventana said:

maybe just take terminal leave and not actually "work" the last week

if not just renew - and then get some other job or volunteer

or better yet - ask your employer to pay for the license.....

I've thought about the medical mission perspective, and something new that I hadn't considered, to be available as a prn "can you fill in for ... for a day?" person.  If push comes to shove, <$300 one time for almost a grand a month is a nice trade-off.

I would keep my license active for as long as logical.

Even in retirement, you could have a sudden whim to work per diem or maybe even be needed during a disaster.

Having a license seems worth it.

Maybe a tax deduction?....

Unless that gazillion dollar lottery ticket is real and in my bank - I will keep my license as long as I have my wits about me.

Yup, me too. I have 2 state licenses and will likely keep whichever is cheaper when I "retire", which will likely be after age 70 at this point...I would like to keep volunteering as long as I can. I work with an 87 year old anesthesiologist at a local free clinic who is there every week like clockwork. I think that is part of why he is still going strong.

1 hour ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

Please share if you do.

The response I received:

The rule for biennial registration was adopted but as it was adopted after the August renewal period was already underway, we could not transition those licensees into the new two year expiration dates. We are looking to start the transition with the 2019 renewals, and staggering the renewals to get everyone in place. 

For example, since your license number is an even number, when you renew in 2019 your expiration date will go to 2020 but then when you renew again in 2020 you will roll into the system as the two year renewal, giving an expiration date of 2022. This way, odd number licensees will always renew in odd years and even number licensees will always renew in even years.

On 8/13/2018 at 10:28 AM, Boatswain2PA said:

Continuing to have your license for the first part of your retirement is a good insurance policy. You may hate retirement, "life" might happen and you decide you need more money for you or your family, or you may suddenly get that absolute dream job.

I would renew...

I know a physician that has no need to work at all, retired, takes trips to europe....he works 2 days a week because he doesnt like sitting at home doing chores 

Archived