Meharry School of Medicine

13 hours ago, Amilah124 said:

@darrentharris Hey, I just submitted my supplemental today and this is the email they sent me:

On behalf of the Admissions Committee for the School of Graduate Studies & Research, I wish to thank you for the time and effort taken in submitting your secondary application for admission to the Physician's Assistant Program, School of Graduate Studies & Research at Meharry Medical College.

“This e-mail is to acknowledge receipt of your SOGSR electronic application. 
With your completed application, your file is under review by the admissions committee. You will be contacted when an application status update is available.
Should you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact the PA program office. 

Also yes, I believe they are sending supplementally to everyone. At the bottom of the email that I received it said that people should please review what a qualified applicant is before filling out the supplemental application. 
Also, I have a question for all of you that applied early. Since they extended the deadline, do you think this is fair? I’ve had some major changes in my application and i feel like if I applied now I’d be a much stronger applicant.  But CASPA doesn’t allow us to enter new grades in and I assume we won’t be able to apply twice when CASPA reopens up in April 2019. Don’t you think everyone applying late has an advantage? Just my opinion, and wanted to see what everyone else thought.

Yeah I can see how it may be unfair but at the same time when you get your interview, God’s willing, you will have something to show and tell them which shows them you were still being active while you waited for a response from the schools you applied to. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darrentharris said:

Yeah I can see how it may be unfair but at the same time when you get your interview, God’s willing, you will have something to show and tell them which shows them you were still being active while you waited for a response from the schools you applied to. 

God willing indeed! Please speak that into existence for me haha. But yea you’re right,  thanks for the input! 

Hi Everyone!

Currently filling out my supplemental application...and I am filling in the prerequisites. How did you format it? Did you include grades and course hours completed? I just want to make sure I don't leave anything out but also make sure I don't over-do it with information that's already in my CASPA app. 

1 hour ago, oslavoski said:

Hi Everyone!

Currently filling out my supplemental application...and I am filling in the prerequisites. How did you format it? Did you include grades and course hours completed? I just want to make sure I don't leave anything out but also make sure I don't over-do it with information that's already in my CASPA app. 

Hi! Personally I just listed them in bullet form without the grades and also included the preferred courses that I took.

I was also worried about information overloading but I think the supplemental application is to have things short and sweet. If they want to know more I think they will give the CASPA application another look, which should be the most detailed.

Good luck !

9 hours ago, PApassion44 said:

I have one outstanding prerequisite and I emailed the program to make sure that I was still a "qualified applicant" before submitting my supplemental ..... was told that I will not be considered for admission with any outstanding prerequisites 😞 ... 

Prerequisites must be completed by March 2019 per email from the program ...

But their website says, “All prerequisite course work must be successfully completed by July 15th of the year prior to intended entry. Required course work graded Pass/Fail or credit obtained by College Level Examination Program (CLEP) Examination or Advanced Placement (AP) will not be accepted for any of the 47 hours.”

well i guess if the program confirmed it

9 hours ago, PApassion44 said:

I have one outstanding prerequisite and I emailed the program to make sure that I was still a "qualified applicant" before submitting my supplemental ..... was told that I will not be considered for admission with any outstanding prerequisites 😞 ... 

Prerequisites must be completed by March 2019 per email from the program ...

But their website says, “All prerequisite course work must be successfully completed by July 15th of the year prior to intended entry. Required course work graded Pass/Fail or credit obtained by College Level Examination Program (CLEP) Examination or Advanced Placement (AP) will not be accepted for any of the 47 hours.”

well i guess if the program confirmed it

• 4 weeks later...

Is it just me or didn’t the website use to say the minimum cumulative GPA was a 2.75? Now it looks like it’s a 3.0. Also I thought I saw that they did grade forgiveness for any courses that were re taken. It looks like that has changed as well. I wonder how this will affect people who applied with the other standards in mind.

On 2/16/2019 at 3:08 PM, Amilah124 said:

Is it just me or didn’t the website use to say the minimum cumulative GPA was a 2.75? Now it looks like it’s a 3.0. Also I thought I saw that they did grade forgiveness for any courses that were re taken. It looks like that has changed as well. I wonder how this will affect people who applied with the other standards in mind.

No a lot has changed it seems like. They even added some required coursework ( abnormal psychology an lifespan psychology, for example ) that was not initially required. 

Edited by Biaboyd345
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sprie19 said:

Where are you guys seeing this? 

I still see in the website that the minimum required GPA is 2.75 and the same required courses. 

If you google meharry pa school, there will be a page that states “ pa program requirements “ after clicking it, you’ll notice that it has a list of all their required courses, including abnormal psychology and developmental psychology “ and it states the cumulative gpa requirement is 3.0 and that AP / CLEP credit will not be accepted for any of the required coursework. It’s like there’s two pages with different admissions requirements.

28 minutes ago, sprie19 said:

Where are you guys seeing this? 

I still see in the website that the minimum required GPA is 2.75 and the same required courses. 

Just kidding, it seems as though those requirements ( 3.0 gpa ) were from the year prior Also noted is that their accreditation meeting has now been pushed back to September 2019. Meharry Medical College Physician Assistant Sciences Program anticipates matriculating its first class in January 2020, pending achieving Accreditation-Provisional status at the September 2019, ARC-PA meeting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biaboyd345 said:

Just kidding, it seems as though those requirements ( 3.0 gpa ) were from the year prior Also noted is that their accreditation meeting has now been pushed back to September 2019. Meharry Medical College Physician Assistant Sciences Program anticipates matriculating its first class in January 2020, pending achieving Accreditation-Provisional status at the September 2019, ARC-PA meeting.

Ohh! Thanks for the clarification! I was totally confused when I had googled it. Hopefully that’s correct then. Thanks for replying! 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard any news about when interviews may be conducted? It looks like they added their policies and have slowly been updating information to their website... as previously mentioned, their ARC- PA meeting  is now in September 2019 instead of June, not sure how this will impact interview dates. Just wondering what everyone thinks? 🙂

7 minutes ago, mave6 said:

Did anyone receive a second email with the supplemental application link after already submitting everything weeks ago?

@mave6 I did. I’ve emailed them regarding this to see if this was an error since I’ve submitted everything back in January. Waiting for their response. Will let you know what they say. 

3 minutes ago, gala9944 said:

@mave6 I did. I’ve emailed them regarding this to see if this was an error since I’ve submitted everything back in January. Waiting for their response. Will let you know what they say. 

Thanks!

Also, I just reviewed the supplemental application.. did they add additional fields and change the fee? When I submitted there was definitely not a place to submit a 2 inch x 2inch picture and now it's left blank on my application. Did anyone else notice this?!?

16 minutes ago, mave6 said:

Thanks!

Also, I just reviewed the supplemental application.. did they add additional fields and change the fee? When I submitted there was definitely not a place to submit a 2 inch x 2inch picture and now it's left blank on my application. Did anyone else notice this?!?

When I click on the link they provided me with today it says status “submitted” with a collection of $75 marked “paid”. I didn’t see anything regarding a photo at the time of my submission, nor have I ever submitted one. However, I do see the field under the HTML view but I don't recall it ever requesting for one a few months back. I don't believe it is dire, but I will also ask about it when they reply back to my original email.

Edited by gala9944

1 minute ago, al3000 said:

@yvg2005 but it says they can substitute/waive courses with written approval.

I never took biology 2 but had it waived by filling out a substitution form so that molecular biology 2 will be accepted in lieu of the gen bio. However, all courses must be within the date range they’ve posted on their site. 

13 minutes ago, gala9944 said:

I never took biology 2 but had it waived by filling out a substitution form so that molecular biology 2 will be accepted in lieu of the gen bio. However, all courses must be within the date range they’ve posted on their site. 

Where do you get the substitution form and is that something you need to fill out now? It says that they give preference to the highly recommended coursework, I wonder if they would take those into consideration as my prereqs are outdated but took those courses recently.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, darrentharris said:

Where do you get the substitution form and is that something you need to fill out now? It says that they give preference to the highly recommended coursework, I wonder if they would take those into consideration as my prereqs are outdated but took those courses recently.

@darrentharris I received an email a few months back stating that my bio 2 pre-req was not fulfilled so I emailed them back. They sent me a substitution form that I had to fax/email back. 

I would recommend emailing or calling them if you need a form. In my case, they reached out to me so not sure if it’s solely bc my bio 2 flagged it on their end or not. 

• Like 1

Just now, darrentharris said:

Was it because it was expired or what was the reasoning? I will send them an email. I appreciate your help.

I never took Bio2 so my pre-reqs were marked as “incomplete”. The substitute form was for this “outstanding” bio2 course and was substituted with my upper level course, Molecular Bio 2. None of my classes have expired.