Can cocaine be passed through intercourse?

Patient (clean for a year) tested positive for cocaine and fentanyl after having sex with ex-husband who is a drug user. Confirmation test came back with only traces of the drugs. Is this even possible? Can cocaine be passed through intercourse?

I told her to use condom next time... 

I can tell you that swallowed semen containing cocaine does NOT test positive for cocaine. Used to do Occ Med and the Medical Review Officer declared this take on it to be a load of crap.

If he was THAT stoned - could he even have intercourse at all? 

I don't think semen in the vaginal wall could give her a systemic positive. Might burn though.......

Back to my boring life.

What probably happened is that she had a poppyseed bagel (because those always trigger pos for opiates, amirite?) and her ex sneezed, and his nose was full of coke.

Well, see if you can get some confirmatory test on the sample, esp if there's something riding on it.  Otherwise, offer counseling- rare, but substance abusers do relapse, especially when hanging out with other users.  That should be your first clue- how common can someone with only a year under their belt say no?

• 1 month later...
Guest UVAPAC
On 7/12/2018 at 11:13 AM, frenchy said:

I worked at the Navy Boot Camp in Great Lakes years ago.  I had a recruit tell me he was positive for cocaine because his girlfriend put it on his penis before performing oral sex so he would last longer......Cannot make this stuff up......

That was a good laugh ?

Archived