When did PT become CAM?

I have sent scores of patients to PT over the years. I worked with on in our office in the early 80s who was very scientific (evidence-based). I had a good friend who was a PT ( and several distant friends now who are). However, I've never seen one myself until this week (Shoulder injuries). I was really surprised by the chiro-language I heard. It did not seem to be evidence-based at all. For example, I had a tree fall onto my arm a year ago. Seen my PCP twice and had bursa injections (had a frozen shoulder for a while) which really helped but the pain persist. The PT wanted to see my feet and was not that interested in the mechanism of injury. His point (for seeing my fee) was that musculoskeletal injuries (in his opinion) only occur if there is a body alignment problem. So, in summary, the visit seemed to be based on these different concepts of alignment, body "energy" and etc. Do you think this guy is unique or as PT gone the way of chiro?

That sounds extremely odd.  I wonder if possibly this was a chiropractor who then went to PT school.  We HAD a chiro/PT in my area who ended up closing shop because none of the offices would refer patients to him because of his "body energy" mumbo-jumbo.  No idea where he is now, but maybe he moved to your area...

To play devils advocate...Is it a bad thing to say as a whole that if the body is "mis-aligned" then the entire system is "off"? I am not a PT nor a chiro, but I am just thinking out loud about how a vehicle works. If a tire is low then that can put strain on the U joint, other tires, alignment, etc...it does through the entire "system" off. I would not be so quickly to disapprove of this type of thinking. I am NOT for "body energy" or other crazy stuff like this, but this concept of body alignment does have some weight to it. 

Discuss! :)

[citation needed]

Sounds good in theory, but practically, how is that treated and what is the evidence behind those treatment?

I only work with pediatric PT that are associated with my quatenary care children's hospital so I'm definitely ivory tower spoiled.  But all of the ones I've worked with are fantastic with kids and I know the department also has journal clubs, they talk about evidence based treatments, etc.  They give us lectures on some topics from time to time, and I don't have any complaints.

2 hours ago, camoman1234 said:

To play devils advocate...Is it a bad thing to say as a whole that if the body is "mis-aligned" then the entire system is "off"? I am not a PT nor a chiro, but I am just thinking out loud about how a vehicle works. If a tire is low then that can put strain on the U joint, other tires, alignment, etc...it does through the entire "system" off. I would not be so quickly to disapprove of this type of thinking. I am NOT for "body energy" or other crazy stuff like this, but this concept of body alignment does have some weight to it. 

Discuss! :)

I don't believe this is necessarily the issue, rather that the PT ignored the MOI. A tree falling on a man's arm has nothing to do with body alignment unless you are a quack.

This reminds me of an episode of Friends:

Joey: That's how they do pants! First they go up one side, they move it over, then they go up the other side, they move it back, and then they do the rear.

Joey: [Chandler and Ross stare at him] What? Ross, would you tell him? Isn't that how a tailor measure pants?

Ross: Yes. Yes, it is... In prison! What's the matter with you?

4 hours ago, hmmmm3 said:

I don't believe this is necessarily the issue, rather that the PT ignored the MOI. A tree falling on a man's arm has nothing to do with body alignment unless you are a quack.

Well obviously the inflammation on that side made the injured arm heavier, which mis-aligned the spine and overly stressed the foot on the affected side.

And don't even get me going about how screwed up the energy fields must be. It will take years of PT, reiki, herbs and feng shui to straighten this all out.

39 minutes ago, CJAdmission said:

Well obviously the inflammation on that side made the injured arm heavier, which mis-aligned the spine and overly stressed the foot on the affected side.

And don't even get me going about how screwed up the energy fields must be. It will take years of PT, reiki, herbs and feng shui to straighten this all out.

Maybe it was the punitive energy of the tree, which was directed at me as I was attempted to cut it down? I was also limping when I saw him (just did my first 7 mile run of the year a few hours earlier and my 62 year old knees tend to ache when they are not use to running that distance) and he wanted to focus on that too, saying that my knee should not hurt if I did not have an alignment issue. 

Archived