PA teaching positions

First of all, welcome! I've been doing it part-time for 3 years or so, 2-3 days per week. I also have a clinical job usually a day per week.I love my job: hanging out with smart, motivated students and other faculty interested in doing a good job keeps me motivated. 

If you are going full-time, make sure you have benefits, maybe a 403(b) (the educational world's 401-k), and a release day for a clinical job. I endorse staying clinical because the balance keeps you in the game when you lecture, etc.

I work in a program where everyone is easy to get along with and has been there for several years. Staff turnover (and why) is a good thing to check into.

Also the accreditation status: if it's a new program on provisional accreditation, you will have lots of work to do for ARC-PA. If so, hopefully other faculty members have been through that successfully in the past. If the program is on probation, you need to know why as it will give you a clue as to whether or not they're going to make it. The PANCE rate is of interest, if only because it gives you a clue as to how much work will be needed to improve it.

Also the health of the overall institution: does it have the resources to support the program?

It's more or less like taking a job with any institution.

Good luck!

Good advice above.

I was a full time PA clinical educator from the spring of 2015 to the early winter 2017. 

One caveat from my situation is that everything is based upon my individual experience at one PA program. 

First, it is unlikely that your academic compensation will be similar to clinical. As pointed out, clarify any clinical time you get. Ensure that money is clear and free yours and that you do not have an obligation to practice clinical medicine in the academic venue with compensation through the university or college, eg, required shifts in student health or in a sponsored clinic.

Clarify your own motivation for this move. I would not venture far enough to declare what is worthwhile vs not but your motivation should be enough to get you through difficult and trying times. As encountered in clinical medicine, the learning curve is steep in academics also, ranging from curriculum development to understanding the ins and outs of academia. These challenges and all the ones you would not expect will make you question your decision. What are your long term plans and will there be support and recognition of those at this position?

Take a hard look at the program and the sponsoring university/college. Is there a track record of success? Does there seem to be support from the sponsor and the community when you tour the campus AND look at the relations with healthcare institutions affiliated with the program?

Fellow faculty and program director. What are their motivations and backgrounds? Longevity with the program? Will senior faculty be mentoring you as you get up to speed and beyond? In clinical medicine, physicians have quite a bit of influence in practices and hospitals/medical centers. In academia, PhDs rule the roost. Are the PhDs at your institution knowledgeable and well aligned with the PA program?

ARC status. If on probation or provisional, then what is the plan moving forward to get to continuing accreditation? Is the program near reaccreditation and will they be counting on you for any sort of contribution? Those will be difficult shoes to fill without a lot of help including outside consultation. What kind of university/college support is there during the accreditation process? Are you boarding a sinking ship?

What will be your specific role? Site visits? Instructing in the classroom? Both? How is this scheduled? Will you be responsible for obtaining clinical sites and navigating all the associated logistics? Advising students? How many? Item writing responsibilities? Applicant reviews and interviews? Other admin responsibilities?

As you can see there is a tremendous amount of detail to consider that is unlike a clinical position. I would have to say that I learned much from my experience, it was eye opening, rewarding, frustrating and ultimately disappointing. My sense of relief upon returning to full time clinical practice was significant when I pulled that trigger. Alternatively, I know many PA educators that have long, rewarding, satisfying careers in academia. As I pointed out above, my perspective is based upon the specific position and program I was employed at. Your mileage may differ.

Good luck. George

I have many friends in academia. the happiest ones are the ones at the top of the food chain: program directors, Deans, etc...problem is you can't start at the top. you need to work your way up from lecturer to clinical coordinator or academic coordinator to program director to dean...unless you can get in on the ground level of a new program...which has its issues as well....

I was recently asked back to lecture at my wife's community college dental hygiene program on CVD.  Doesn't pay much (I got a Starbuck's coffee last year...oops, need to remember to list on my 1040, JK) but I enjoy it and it doesn't include any other responsibilities.  I'd love to know someone in their EMS program to come and lecture for but unfortunately I don't.

9 hours ago, narcan said:

Are there any resources for how to design a lecture/curriculum? How do people with no teaching experience break into these positions?

When I started working on my syllabus for my first course, the program gave me a list of objectives to cover and I built the course around those.

Everything that others have said above, I agree with.

I personally have always wanted to be an educator, even when I was a PA student, and finally breaking into full time academia has been career, sanity and life saving for me.  I've been severely burned out on clinical practice for years and now I finally feel like I'm doing something that matters.

There is definitely a learning curve, but the things that bother others about academia just don't bother me, I guess.  Now the stuff the program director, chair and dean have to deal with...the political stuff, schmoozing, that stuff....I'm not sure I'd be ok with that.

Education definitely needs to be a calling for you.  Not just an opportunity for a job, but something you feel like you need to do.  Otherwise you may not find it rewarding enough.

8 hours ago, eighthnote24 said:

There is definitely a learning curve, but the things that bother others about academia just don't bother me, I guess.  Now the stuff the program director, chair and dean have to deal with...the political stuff, schmoozing, that stuff....I'm not sure I'd be ok with that.

Education definitely needs to be a calling for you.  Not just an opportunity for a job, but something you feel like you need to do.  Otherwise you may not find it rewarding enough.

What stuff bothers you beyond the schmoozing? What aspects do you find you enjoy the most?

Archived